2009 Chevy Tahoe SSV up-fit / install...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharris

Here is my 2009 Tahoe Special Service Vehicle up-fit / install. From the top down I have a Midland 77-120ESP CB, BCD996T, W5 Astro Spectra, W9 Astro Spectra, W9 Astro Spectra. The VHF and UHF Spectra's are programmed for the Ham bands. The computer is a Panasonic CF-19. All above listed items are seated in a RAM mount angled console.

If you are in Columbus we have a good coverage UHF P25 repeater on 443.650 / 293NAC. This repeater is courtesy of the Central Ohio Digital Interconnect Group (W8DIG).

On the roof I have a low profile "cellular look alike" CB antenna, as well as Phantom's for VHF, Scanner, UHF, 800, and PCS.

Not pictured is a Sprint Air Card plugged into a Cradlepoint CTR-350 WiFi Router. The air card is connected to the Phantom PCS antenna via a very low loss Larsen NMO mount and coax. This makes the Tahoe a WiFi hotspot for everyone inside.

Up-fitting was completed by Parr Public Safety and they did an outstanding job!

Thanks for looking and 73!

Matt
WY8E

Attachments

• IMG_2777.jpg
    IMG_2777.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 34,471
  • IMG_2786.jpg
    IMG_2786.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 18,025
  • IMG_2783.jpg
    IMG_2783.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 10,263
  • IMG_2774.jpg
    IMG_2774.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 12,054

wise871

Database Admin
I don't know what to say. I'm speechless. That is one awesome install.

Note: We need a smiley face with a jaw dropping expression.

creeperjeep

Lit GMRS
jawdrop.gif

Is the W5 VHF too?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
that garage looks famaliar.......

hmmmmmmm

Didnt you just do one about a luxury car awhile back?

Wow,,Speechless is an understatement,,

curious,,what sort of service is a vehicle like that
used for?..looks like it could be media, but im doubting it,a little
too much hardware,but it also looks like too much gear for law-ops
too,,comparing it with what ive seen locally.

storm chasing/media maybe..

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Wow,,Speechless is an understatement,,

curious,,what sort of service is a vehicle like that
used for?..looks like it could be media, but im doubting it,a little
too much hardware,but it also looks like too much gear for law-ops
too,,comparing it with what ive seen locally.

storm chasing/media maybe..

Its mostly Amateur radio. Not law enforcement as there is no lights or siren controller. Some hams prefer motorola gear.

mharris

The W5 Spectra is 800mhz for conventional monitoring, which is why there is no mic.

And yes, I did have a different vehicle last year. I needed more room and traded it in.

Chevrolet makes two versions of their police Tahoe. The Tahoe PPV is 2 wheel drive and pursuit rated. The 4 wheel drive version is called the Tahoe Special Service Vehicle and is used by many K9, Hazmat, or for general Patrol duties where there is snow or rough terrain. The 4 wheel drive sits 1 inch higher and has a higher center of gravity, therefore is not rated for emergency vehicle operations or pursuit.

The neat thing about either police Tahoe is they have five additional grounding straps from the body to chassis. Chevrolet notes them to be for "radio suppression". It basically equates to a better ground plane for antennas, which in theory could equal better performance.

The police versions also have a special wiring harness under the dash and in the rear cargo area for communications equipment, meaning there is no need to run wires to the battery etc. The two said locations are capable of 100 amp service. I also have the dual battery option (two batteries under the hood from the factory).

I like to call it the perfect "Radio Mobile".

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Matt

mharris

1150RT-P,

You would have to find a dealer that ordered one for an agency but never made delivery due to the agency backing out. Or you can go to a dealer and order one from the fleet department. Tell the fleet guy you want a 4 wheel drive base Tahoe with the 1FL commercial package (it's the same as the SSV).

They will not sell the 2 wheel drive PPV to a non government agency.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Probably one of the nicest mobile installations I've seen; the vehicle is definitely designed for friendly radio installations.

The RAM console holds a close resemblance to my Jotto Desk "Lazy-L" as far as design and close-fit with nice face plates.

I've had "Phantom" transit-style antennas before, and discovered that they function slightly worse than a 1/4 wave antenna, and very poor for scanning / monitoring a wide range of frequencies unless you use it for a specific tight area limited to less than 10 Mhz. What have you discovered in comparison to other antennas used strictly for scanning?

mharris

Will,

No doubt the VHF Phantoms suck. The UHF, 800, and PCS work pretty well. I do have some nice Larsen and Maxrad 5/8 and 1/4 wave antennas that I will use for road trips etc. The Phantoms allow me to fit in my parking garage and don't embarrass my fiance too much:)

Matt

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Will,

No doubt the VHF Phantoms suck. The UHF, 800, and PCS work pretty well. I do have some nice Larsen and Maxrad 5/8 and 1/4 wave antennas that I will use for road trips etc. The Phantoms allow me to fit in my parking garage and don't embarrass my fiance too much:)

Matt

Yup, that is exactly what I thought, Matt. Top notch, A1 install!

I'm past the "embarrassment stage" in my mobile - posted pics here on RR several times; way over the edge, but exactly what I want it to do, and that's what counts!

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
That's how I got my new 2009 Charger Police interceptor. I was in the market for a new car to replace one of my Crown Vic's. I found a dealer in Arizona that would order me a new one, but at the time Chrysler's plant was shut down. He mentioned that he heard about a dealer who ordered 6 Chargers the wrong color. After about an hour of searching I found that dealer, and found out that there were 60 Chargers the wrong color !! They were supposed to go to the Utah State Patrol. Needless to say he was quite excited to get rid of one. I got the car for the Agency's price, a very good price I might add. It did take 2 months for the car to be delivered, since the plant was still closed, and they had trouble finding MY car, (turned out it hadn't left the factory lot yet) since I already had the VIN # and my loan was tied to that number. Even though I have had the car since last July I haven't finished the install, trying to make the installation as low profile as possible. I will post some pictures as I go along.
BTW great install in that Tahoe, I just did one of our Fire Chiefs Tahoe, used the Havis console, very nice and easy.

w5dmt

Premium Subscriber
This is a great install.... We just got done punching 4 holes in the top of my black Tahoe (07) and the console (which drops into the factory location) will be in later this week. We have a Spectra (900MHz), a RH-96 remote head for the BCD15X scanner and an Icom ID-800H being put in. (I wanted to keep cup holders...) As soon as it's done, I'll post some photos too.

Dave, W5DMT

mharris

That's how I got my new 2009 Charger Police interceptor. I was in the market for a new car to replace one of my Crown Vic's. I found a dealer in Arizona that would order me a new one, but at the time Chrysler's plant was shut down. He mentioned that he heard about a dealer who ordered 6 Chargers the wrong color. After about an hour of searching I found that dealer, and found out that there were 60 Chargers the wrong color !! They were supposed to go to the Utah State Patrol. Needless to say he was quite excited to get rid of one. I got the car for the Agency's price, a very good price I might add. It did take 2 months for the car to be delivered, since the plant was still closed, and they had trouble finding MY car, (turned out it hadn't left the factory lot yet) since I already had the VIN # and my loan was tied to that number. Even though I have had the car since last July I haven't finished the install, trying to make the installation as low profile as possible. I will post some pictures as I go along.
BTW great install in that Tahoe, I just did one of our Fire Chiefs Tahoe, used the Havis console, very nice and easy.

That sounds great Radioman2001. I would love a new Charger (especially with the V-8) but after our crazy snowfall amounts this winter, I decided I must have 4WD. I bet the Charger will look great when completed. Please post pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.