2009 Toyota Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I had intended to DIN-mount the PSR-600 but as you can see there was no room. The 396XT and 996XT were added later. The 396XT is used in close-call mode only. The Larsen 150/450/800 antenna feeds both radios via a Stridsberg multi-coupler. Toggle switches on the dash control the power supply to the 396XT and route the speaker output of the PSR-600 to either the car's audio system or the scanner internal speaker so I can still listen to the AM/FM if needed.

Attachments

• DSCN1793.jpg
    DSCN1793.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 9,505
  • DSCN1808.jpg
    DSCN1808.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3,853
  • DSCN1797.jpg
    DSCN1797.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,866
  • DSCN1791.jpg
    DSCN1791.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,652

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Looks nice, but I'd be real worried about all those missiles - which is what all that gear would become in an accident - hitting me. 73 Mike

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Looks like the set up I had in my caprice. But I had an GPS mounted where you have your HH. I had CB on bottom and 350C on top of it. I also had an Motorola VHF mobile and PRO-2052 mounted with my light/siren controls on a rack on the floor. As long as the gear is secured properly it works great. Again nice setup, neat and clean.

tes151

The PSR-600 mount is bolted onto the top of the dash. The only thing that could go airborne in a crash would be the 396XT flying out of the cradle.

Where would you go to get a cradle like that? I need something like that to hold my PRO-106.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
I am curious as well?? I am looking for something like the for my GRE-500.
-Ben

This particular mount is a RAM HOL-UN4U radio cradle which sells for around twenty bucks. That's for the cradle only. The total cost depends on whatever optional mounting accessories you need. Check out the RAM site for more details.
http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/RadioMounts/tabid/925/Default.aspx

I used another brand cradle for my 500 which you might like better. It has two spring-loaded arms that hold the radio in place. I sold the radio and mount to a co-worker. Next time I see him I'll find out the model/make. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Y'all both have the 500/106 but for those with a 396XT the second picture is a SAKAR Gooseneck GPS Mount available at Radio Shack. It works perfectly for the 396XT. I use it when I'm in another vehicle. It's only twenty-five dollars total.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3115016

Attachments

• RAMHOLUN4U.jpg
    RAMHOLUN4U.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,080
  • sakar gooseneckgpsmount.jpg
    sakar gooseneckgpsmount.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 2,204
Last edited:

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
Nice Clean setup. More pictures of the mount would be nice.

I can send more pictures if you'd like but the mount is the factory bracket that came with the PSR-600 facing towards the dash. The 996XT is secured by two metal straps on each side that are held in place by the 600 screws. Fairly low tech.

My main concern with this install is security since it's mounted in the open. I can remove both mobile units in less then two minutes by removing the 600 mounting screws and unhooking the cables.

My "security system" consists of placing a heat shield inside the windshield for the most part. I have tinted side windows so you can't see the radios then. I do a lot of hiking/kayking/biking in remote areas also but in those cases I remove the radios from the dash and store them in the trunk.

MetalCarnage

Looks cool, but all that screams out at me, for being someone that drives downtown alot, is smash and grab lol :), its very high and in open view. Although, even though my setup on the inside is a little more discreet, its still visible, so i guess mine is really no better off.

protias

Premium Subscriber
Looks nice. I'd put some tint on your car and a security system, just in case. :)

Astro25

Looks slick.

Hope they don't fly out the window if it's one of those recalled Toyotas with the acceleration problem. :p

rfrf

Premium Subscriber
That was uncalled for

That was an ignorant comment Astro 25.

Actually only 0.02% of all Toyotas recalled have experienced this sticky pedal or unintended acceleration.
I would be more worried if it was a Chevrolet and the steering problems or if it was a Ford with the cruise control going up in smoke and taking the radios with it.
Do your research and you'll find that Toyota has the fewest recalls of any manufacturer when you factor in market share.

Is this the kind of ranting and garbage you want here on these great scanner forums?

kjfswkr

That was an ignorant comment Astro 25.
Do your research and you'll find that Toyota has the fewest recalls of any manufacturer when you factor in market share.

Is this the kind of ranting and garbage you want here on these great scanner forums?

I agree the above, I have a Toyota Tundra and I am not worried about no stinking gas pedal.

Status
Not open for further replies.