2010 Buick LaCrosse BCD396T Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemann

The 2010 Buick LaCrosse has a compartment in the center console which is just barely deep enough to hold the BCD396T scanner standing up with a BNC "L" antenna connector on top. That is, it's deep enough if the plastic coin tray under the lid of the compartment is removed! The car also has some convenient seams in the dashboard plastic - perfect for use of ProClip brackets to support the remote control head.

I decided to put the scanner in that compartment because there is a 12v power outlet in there AND there is a 3.5mm plug to input the scanner audio into the car's stereo sound system! I touch the AUX button on the radio controls and I have scanner audio coming from my stereo speakers.

I glued a RadioShack 3-way 12v power outlet in there so that I have power for the scanner, the BC-RH96 remote head, and my BlackBerry. I had to drill holes in the side of the compartment to get the BlackBerry power cord out where I wanted it; also to get the power out to the remote head, and to get the data cable that links the scanner to the remote head. The antenna lead also comes in through a hole in the compartment. I stayed with the cigarette lighter style of power outlets and plugs because I want to be able to yank the whole set-up out of the car when necessary to use in other vehicles.

See photos for placement of ProClip brackets, placement of remote head, scanner and power tucked into compartment, and on-glass antenna.

Attachments

• 1 Dual ProClip mounts.jpg
    1 Dual ProClip mounts.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3,846
  • 2 Driver view of BC-RH96.jpg
    2 Driver view of BC-RH96.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 4,038
  • 3 BCD396T plus power outlets in console compartment.jpg
    3 BCD396T plus power outlets in console compartment.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 5,214
  • 4 BCD396T plus power outlets in console compartment closed.jpg
    4 BCD396T plus power outlets in console compartment closed.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 3,824
  • 5 Diesel Electronics on-glass from Scanner Master 1.jpg
    5 Diesel Electronics on-glass from Scanner Master 1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 3,467

intrepid97

Nice install :) I really like the fact that your vehicle has the audio input.

How well does the glass mount antenna work for you?

Again that is a nice install on what looks like could have been a pain the in the rear! :)

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Nice install ! Those cars are radio friendly. New Jersey state police uses them for for some of the brass to drive around in.

firemann

I have used on-glass (cell phone look-alike) antennas on 4 Buicks for at least 10 years.

Until this recent install, I used Radio Shack "cellular look-alike" antennas. They usually come in a length of about 24". I cut them down to 18" which has two advantages:
1. 18" is the perfect length for the usual combination of Air / VHF-Hi / UHF / 800 mHz if you like a combination of air, rail, and public safety monitoring..
2. If you leave the antenna at 24", then the screw that's supposed to hold it in a straight up position can't handle the wind load at speed. Chop it down to 18" and it stands up straight even at high speed.

This time I thought I would try the Diesel Electronics "on glass" because it is already the correct length (approx 18"), so I don't have to cut it down, and it already has a BNC connector on the cable.

I think a lot of scannists are afraid that the on-glass antennas will degrade their signals too much. My experience is that if the alternative is mounting on the trunk lid with an NMO or trunk lip mount, then you are giving-up precious inches of height above ground level and that's about the same as losing some signal through the glass.

I do notice degradation of the AM radio signals on the car radio. Don't know if a trunk lid-mounted antenna, which would be further separated from the AM radio antenna, would solve this or not. I think I will try a Larsen NMO150/450/800 antenna on a trunk lip mount and see what happens.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
The 2010 Buick LaCrosse has a compartment in the center console which is just barely deep enough to hold the BCD396T scanner standing up with a BNC "L" antenna connector on top. That is, it's deep enough if the plastic coin tray under the lid of the compartment is removed! The car also has some convenient seams in the dashboard plastic - perfect for use of ProClip brackets to support the remote control head.

I decided to put the scanner in that compartment because there is a 12v power outlet in there AND there is a 3.5mm plug to input the scanner audio into the car's stereo sound system! I touch the AUX button on the radio controls and I have scanner audio coming from my stereo speakers.

I glued a RadioShack 3-way 12v power outlet in there so that I have power for the scanner, the BC-RH96 remote head, and my BlackBerry. I had to drill holes in the side of the compartment to get the BlackBerry power cord out where I wanted it; also to get the power out to the remote head, and to get the data cable that links the scanner to the remote head. The antenna lead also comes in through a hole in the compartment. I stayed with the cigarette lighter style of power outlets and plugs because I want to be able to yank the whole set-up out of the car when necessary to use in other vehicles.

See photos for placement of ProClip brackets, placement of remote head, scanner and power tucked into compartment, and on-glass antenna.

Any problems or caution concerning the rear window defroster wires as regards the on-glass antenna?

Last edited:

firemann

You don't want to put the on-glass transducer centered on a strip of the defroster wire; but I've never had a problem if one or two fringe areas of the transducer happen to be on a defroster wire.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Am/Fm antenna

Any problems or caution concerning the rear window defroster wires as regards the on-glass antenna?

My LaCrosse has the AM/FM antenna mouted on the rear window about where he put his ON GLASS antenna. His being a bit newer may be different.

W9NES

Hey Guys, Thanks for the picture of the 2011 Buick Lacrosse and the install looks very nice.I have a 2005 Buick Lacrosse.Has anyone done anything with a 2005.My AM/FM Radio Antenna is in the back rear window.If anyone has pictures of a 2005 Buick Lacrosse install would you please post them here.Thank You.

pjtnascar

I have the Radio Shack cell look antenna on my 2008 kia. Works very well, and I haven't noticed any problem with the defroster. I do have that problem with the antenna falling sometimes, so I'll try trimming it to see how it works.

15plus1

Tim, you asked the exact same question in a separate thread... Why would you post the exact same question in a year-old thread? :roll:

Replies here: http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/215731-buick-mobile-set-ups.html

Hey Bez,

Why are u jumping on him ??!!!

The guy is just asking a question ..He's trying to get some input for an upcoming project.. Is it a crime to resurrect an old thread ??? Is there a time limit on posting to a thread ???

Status
Not open for further replies.