2010 Ford Explorer recent job

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1wof

Feed Provider
This is a recent install I did on a 2010 Ford Explorer. It has 5 BC15x, 1 BC996 a Vertex 3200 and a Radio Shack handheld.

Attachments

• rsz_car11_outside.jpg
    rsz_car11_outside.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 3,603
  • rsz_car11_inside.jpg
    rsz_car11_inside.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 6,622
  • rsz_car11_speakers.jpg
    rsz_car11_speakers.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 3,170
  • rsz_car11_antennas.jpg
    rsz_car11_antennas.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 4,380

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Just my opinion, but I would have run the wires for the speakers through the deck so nothing would show. Besides that, looks good!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Pretty neat! I'm sure it can chase several ambulances at the same time, right? :lol:

n9zas

n1wof

Feed Provider
The white tape are just labels for each scanner "scanner 01..", same on the speakers.

I wanted to run the speaker wires underneath the deck, but under that are several compartments for the camera, tripod..etc.., I was concered that the wires would get snagged when the gear was taken out.This was the next best thing...

wise871

Database Admin
With all those antennas wouldn't it have been more practical to have used a Stridsberg MCA208M Active Multicoupler. That would have given you 8 connections off a single antenna.

6520tkp

I agree

With all those antennas wouldn't it have been more practical to have used a Stridsberg MCA208M Active Multicoupler. That would have given you 8 connections off a single antenna.

My thoughts exactly, to many antennas, to many holes in the roof that much more of a chance for a leak when it rains.

n1wof

Feed Provider
I thought about using the Stridsberg MCA208M Active Multicoupler,I was never happy with the performance using those mobile. I tried it on another car and never seemed as good as an antenna. I have one at my house and it works great, cant explain why mobile wouldnt be the same...
When I installed the antennas the seats and headliner came out allowing me to seal underneath the antennas, this car has been through blizzards, 2 hurricanes and a tornado and has never leaked. I have done about 15 more Explorers ( not as many antennas) , the oldest having more than 200k miles, and Ive never had one leak. I'm sure that one day I'll get one that leaks, but havn't had one yet.

The orange things are strobe lights, I think they're called Metrostars, not the best lights, but bright enough to be seem at night. This car is schedules to get a LED bar in the rear window soon.It does alot of overnight crusing and needed some rear lights. A couple of other Explorers have strobes in the taillights/reverse and fog lights.

Last edited:

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
VERY nice job N1WOF! I'd be damn proud of a set up like that!

Only question I have is what kind of antennas do you have going to the BCT-15's?

Mike

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Its a clean install and nice work but I'm affraid I'm with the others on the antenna farm. I've used stridsburg multicouplers mobile for years. I've been nothing but impressed with their performance. Another thing to consider is a small audio mixer to run the audio into and then run one speaker. I prefer the amplified motorolas so I can hear the audio at highway speed with the windows down.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Having done similar installs in the same market, a lot of it comes down to operator preference. I had one guy that preferred an audio mixer up front with the radios mounted in the back (this was in the days when the BC-760XLT was THE scanner to have), using a multicoupler, and I've had guys that wanted the porcupine look with all the radios easily accessible.

In these days of DMA radios with thousands of channels, I think that the radios mounted up front with individual speakers is the way to go, as it actually makes it easier to isolate which radio you want to deal with when trying to isolate a single conversation. You have the ability to hear which direction the audio is coming from, and that helps isolate which radio you want to give your attention to. The only suggestion I would make is to throw some 1/4" wire loom on the speaker wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.