2010 Thunder over the boardwalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
i know this was posted last year, but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone post some info for this years event? Thanks

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Atlantic City AirShow - Best Air Shows - Thunder Over the Boardwalk

Thunder Over The Boardwalk returns to the Atlantic City New Jersey beachfront on Wednesday August 25th. Headlining will be the USAF Thunderbirds .

UPDATED MAY 12, 2010

Confirmed
USAF Thunderbirds
Brazilian Smoke Squadron - NEW
US Army Golden Knights
USMC Harrier
Michael Goulian
F/A-18 Super Hornet demo VFA-106
USAF F-16 Viper East - NEW
Rob Holland
A-10 East
HF P-51

Probables
177th FW Flyby
Team McGuire Flyby (C17, KC10, KC135)
USCG SAR Demonstration
Jim Beasley's Spitfire
Horizon airship
FAA

Tentative
Team MS760

Surprise
At least one that is not to be revealed before the show

Can't wait!
Bob

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Last year I went there on a whim. I used the 396xt in close call mode. I heard some interesting comms. I want to be prepared this year. All the help is greatly appreciated.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Updated sched

UPDATED AUGUST 1, 2010

Confirmed
USAF Thunderbirds
Brazilian Smoke Squadron
US Army Golden Knights
USMC Harrier
Michael Goulian
F/A-18 Super Hornet demo VFA-106
USAF F-16 Viper East
Rob Holland
A-10 East
HF P-51
Jim Beasley's Spitfire
Tom Duffy's B-25
U.S. Coast Guard Search & Rescue Demonstration
Military Flybys (KC-135, F-16, C-17, KC-10, and many more)
FAA William J Hughes Technical Center Aircraft Flybys
U.S. Navy E-2C Hawkeye Demonstration

Probables
Horizon airship

Surprise
At least one that is not to be revealed before the show!

Bob

HouspotIAH

show's almost over by now, but the radio commentator's scanner RF bleed-in was just heard on the worldwide internet feed as having an airboss frequency of 120.300AM. Almost was there.. but WOND's semi-coverage will do.

robbinsj2

120.3 was ACY tower channel, what you must have heard was the Air Boss referring a departing act to the tower for approach.

For posterity's sake (all AM unless otherwise noted):

EVENT
135.650 Air Boss VHF, also occasional air-to-ground PA interconnect
238.150 Air Boss UHF
123.150 PiRep (Pilot Reports; in-air weather observations) & air-to-ground PA interconnect
157.050 Show Control (Marine #21, management of marine exclusion area; FM)

ACTS
135.650 Brazilian Smoke Squadron (using event Air Boss VHF channel, in Portuguese for internal coordination)
345.000 USCG HH-65 SAR Demonstration
140.200 USAF A-10 Demonstration (not 100% sure)
384.550 USAF F-16 Demonstration
141.075 USAF Thunderbirds (Diamond)
235.250 USAF Thunderbirds (Solos)
139.800 USAF Thunderbirds (post-finale / egressing the show box)

OTHER
163.5125/D743 Unidentified, show-related, may have been hospitality at a nearby facility (FM)

NOTES
There was a low ceiling and thus only two or three parachute jumps, no Golden Knights performance, and a low show by the Thunderbirds.

I'm not wiki-literate, anyone care to add the Event and Other channels to the wiki for next year?

Jim

Last edited:

dsearfass

Awesome. Thanks for posting. Hopefully someone can add these to the Wiki. I checked the Wiki before I left for the show and had a great time listening. The Viper pilot sounded like he was having some major radio problems towards the end of his show. Said he couldn't hear a thing. It sounded like he wasn't even sure if he was finished? And it sounded like during one of the first solo passes that someone was too low. I couldn't tell if it was the pilot flying or his opposing solo making fun of him... but I heard "Toooo lloowwwwww"..

A couple of references I was unsure of ...

- A few times when they had someone holding at the Borgota they made a reference to "Vader" .. I think? "Hold at the Borgata at 1,500 just below Vader"? Any idea what Vader is?

- For the 4-ship Viper fly by when they came through the air boss told them "do not head out to the hole". Any idea what "the hole" is? Some sort of restricted air space off the coast? If so, any frequencies for this?

Thanks again for posting!

120.3 was ACY tower channel, what you must have heard was the Air Boss referring a departing act to the tower for approach.

For posterity's sake (all AM unless otherwise noted):

EVENT
135.650 Air Boss VHF, also occasional air-to-ground PA interconnect
238.150 Air Boss UHF
123.150 PiRep (Pilot Reports; in-air weather observations) & air-to-ground PA interconnect
157.050 Show Control (Marine #21, management of marine exclusion area; FM)

ACTS
135.650 Brazilian Smoke Squadron (using event Air Boss VHF channel, in Portuguese for internal coordination)
345.000 USCG HH-65 SAR Demonstration
140.200 USAF A-10 Demonstration (not 100% sure)
384.550 USAF F-16 Demonstration
141.075 USAF Thunderbirds (Diamond)
235.250 USAF Thunderbirds (Solos)
139.800 USAF Thunderbirds (post-finale / egressing the show box)

OTHER
163.5125/D743 Unidentified, show-related, may have been hospitality at a nearby facility (FM)

NOTES
There was a low ceiling and thus only two or three parachute jumps, no Golden Knights performance, and a low show by the Thunderbirds.

I'm not wiki-literate, anyone care to add the Event and Other channels to the wiki for next year?

Jim

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Freqs added to the wiki. Thanks for publishing them - now next year, you now have a developing pattern.

73 Mike

robbinsj2

A few times when they had someone holding at the Borgota they made a reference to "Vader" .. I think? "Hold at the Borgata at 1,500 just below Vader"? Any idea what Vader is?
I think this was "Bader", as in the old Bader air field. They used it as an airborne staging area for certain aircraft appearing/performing (not to mention spectator parking and staging for ground emergency response assets) and many acts approached the show box from that area as if it was a navigation reference point.

The times I heard it Bader was not an elevation reference but a lateral reference -- "hold at," or, "hold short of," or "stay clear of..."

For the 4-ship Viper fly by when they came through the air boss told them "do not head out to the hole". Any idea what "the hole" is? Some sort of restricted air space off the coast? If so, any frequencies for this?
I may have missed that, the only references to a "hole" which I remember was as the Golden Knights sought a hole in the low cloud cover which would have allowed a short jump instead of no jump at all.

dsearfass

Cool. Perhaps I misheard the "hole" reference. Thanks for the reply!

I think this was "Bader", as in the old Bader air field. They used it as an airborne staging area for certain aircraft appearing/performing (not to mention spectator parking and staging for ground emergency response assets) and many acts approached the show box from that area as if it was a navigation reference point.

The times I heard it Bader was not an elevation reference but a lateral reference -- "hold at," or, "hold short of," or "stay clear of..."

I may have missed that, the only references to a "hole" which I remember was as the Golden Knights sought a hole in the low cloud cover which would have allowed a short jump instead of no jump at all.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
I happened to be down there around 2:30 for a business meeting and watched from the 12th floor of the Sheraton.

Awesome spectacle. I searched through the mil air and never caught a transmission.

SCPD

QRT
It's pretty much the same show every year. I have been there the last 3 years, except for this year, and it is the same show every year.

I was able to watch The Thunderbird's practice from the Borgata. Unless you have 3-4 scanners, it's very tough to scan all the mil air bands. I was never able to get much when I went.

My only luck was with the Blue Angels when they were in Binghampton, NY last year. I heard every word!

Status
Not open for further replies.