Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Tonight through Saturday night is UCONN Spring Weekend

From last years thread try:

UCONN Fire 1 - 453.4000 pl 167.9
UCONN Fire 2 - 453.9000
TN UHF 453.2750 pl 141.3 (UCONN coordination for EMS (bed count heard))
Scan any TN frequency

ITAC3 867.5125 pl 156.7

CSP C727 - Zone 01 - 868.9125
20880 - Eastern District Tac 1
16016 - Statewide 1
1616 - C DISP 1
1648 - C DISP 2

Any regional, tactical, or interoperability freq would be fair game. Try searching all of the public safety ranges.

chris

Also try CSP Channel 44 (Eastern District Administration). Talkgroup ID is 20912. Been hearing a lot of activity in that area by the DOT, Seems they can hop on any talkgroup the choose. They've been doing a lot of taffic stops in the UCONN area.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
OK 453.275 is being replaced by 453.350 pl 141.3 they are testing it now for staging EMS tonight. Loud and clear in Bloomfield.

dittrimd

Last years list is pretty good.

There are three major operations going on tonight.

UCONN, MANSFIELD FIRE AND CSP.

They are using ITAC 3 more this year for interop between the three operations and bed counts as well. 453.275 repeater at TN is not working too well. The Coventry 453.350 radio is supposed to be a backup but not much has been heard. It should have been 192.8 on the PL but they may have changed it.

Mansfield is using 33.78 PL 179.9 for their main operation frequency. The low band carries nice for the ambulances transporting and returning to the staging area. They have 4 or 5 ASM rigs there. They also have a Canton ambulance and one from East Windsor. They are using Fire Ground Red 458.4125 PL 179.9 for local operations. IC is on a mobile and I hear it at my house in Coventry.

UCONN is using their 453.4000 167.9

CSP Talk groups are pretty active with some chatter on that ADMIN group.

They had a dumpster fire, a couch fire and a chair fire at Celeron Square. They have had a few transports mostly for ETOH and a few cuts. Most of the transports went to WCMH but I did hear one UC transport go to Johnson.

They are doing bed counts every 1/2 hour for WCMH, RGH, MMH, Johnson, Backus, and DayKimball.

CSP not only shut down Huntinglodge rd which is where Carriage House and Celeron are located they actually shut down North Eagleville rd. I heard UCONN was keeping non UCONN students from parking on campus. Not sure how that worked out.

Historically Thursday night was kill-a-keg at Huntinglodge apartments. Friday night was just more party and Saturday was the concert and X-Lot. Not sure what activities they have planned this weekend.

Last I heard they were clearing out Celeron and Huntinglodge at 1230. Have fun listening!

Here is what I was using to listen to the events tonight.

Attachments

• radios.jpg
    radios.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,029
Last edited:
Here is what I was using to listen to the events tonight.

Very nice equipment. I am particularly a fan of the saber you have. I had a pair of those with lapel mics that were very nice. Had a groovy little switch I could flip on each one to activate DES. The keyloader helped as well since the keys were very volatile. The BC350 scanner you have is also kinda cool. Not sure what too much of the other radios are besides possibly a bc785 or 796.

Not to derail this topic, I just wanted to comment on your equipment and see if you have any idea what kind of radios the different agencies are using at this event?

I know CSP mostly uses XTS3000 model II's. as far as the others, I have no idea.

dittrimd

Here is some better detail.

Portables:
The CSP has a mix of XTS3000 and XTS5000, they are moving to the 5K's as they replace their aging 3K's.

Mansfield and UCONN FD use Motorola HT1250's Other FD's use Vertex VX900's and Kenwood TK3180's

Mobiles:
Motorola CDM1250's, Kenwood TK-890/690 w/Pyramid Repeaters, Vertex VX-4000/6000 w/ VXR1000 repeaters.

Many departments out this way purchase from J&S Radio in Willimantic and they sell Kenwood and Vertex.

Here is a better detail of what I had running:

Attachments

• springweekend2.jpg
    springweekend2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,881

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
the only thing u forgot is to put an online feed for us to listen to all of that. I didn't get all of those in Bloomfield. I wish they would fix all the repeaters. Some are loud, some are soft. some blast in Bloomfield for like three towns the others are weak. There's no consistency to their system...But alas no one has money to make a good system LOL. sorry I didnt see your setup before the event was over. this year was pretty slow compared to past years.

dittrimd

Thanks,

As someone who know Tolland County radio infrastructure pretty well I can explain why there is such diverity in the repeaters you hear.

First off you are right, the infrastructure is a patch work of 33 MHz low band and UHF base stations and repeaters spread throughout the county at varying locations and tower eleveations. These sites are used according to the department(s) who have an active incident. I will go over the Spring Weekend setup and explain from there some the reasons why you may or may have heard all of the converstations.

On Thursday the CSP brought in one of the comm trucks and activated ITAC3. Mainly because from UCONN you have your choice of UNION or BIRCH MTN both which poor talk-in from UCONN. The trucks have limited range so that would not be to easy to pick up from too far away. I have listened to ITAC repeaters off UNION and BIRCH on my ITAC portable at my house in Coventry so talk out is not a major issue.

Friday night they were using 33.78 for staging and coordination of ambulances. If you monitored the low band side you would eather hear a 250 watt Daniels base station located at the top of Bald Hill in Tolland when TN keyed up or a 45 low band cross bande repeater at 55' on the Coventry tower. Or maybe they were using a low band mobile in which case you have been hard pressed to hear that from very far away. The UHF side 453.9625 is a 2 watt signal @ 20' on the Coventry tower. This is the only 33.78 cross band repeater in Tolland County. 33.78 is not one fo the primary operating frequencies it is used as a backup, cover assignements during structure fires and the dive team uses it for operations.

In addition they were using what TN calls Fire Ground Red 458.4125 for the local operations. At my house in Coventry I would hear mobiles loud and clear but portables were weak and scratchy.

They were trying to use a TN UHF 453.275 frequency for command but the repeater was having trouble. When it is working this a 180 watt ERP frequency on the top of the bald hill tower in Tolladn.

On Friday and Saturday they used a repeater at the Coventry tower on 453.350 for coordination. Again this is a 180 watt ERP repeater at the top of the Coventry Tower. You should have been able to hear it from a fair distance away.

UCONN's repeaters are located on a tower near Horse Barn Hill. They have some decent FB2 licenses on 453.4 adn 453.9 so you should have been able to hear them from a good distance.

When it comes to listening to Tolland County it helps to know where the cross band repeaters are so you can dial in the better UHF frequecny. TN operates on 33.44(Columbia,Mansfield, Andover, Bolton, Coventry, Tolland, Ashford), 33.86(Somers, Ellington, Stafford, Union, Willington), 33.48 (Vernon) and East Windsors UHF LTR trunk system. They dispatch on 33.80 and 153.125 but again it is town/department specific. So say Toland Fire goes out and you will hear the 33.80 and 153.125 250 watt base station on the Bald Hill tower in Tolland. Then say Columbia goes out and they hit hte 33.80 and 153.125 radios at the Coventry tower. This will sound very different to someone listening in say Bloomfield. This is the main reason why you hear varying levels of audio and signal quality.

Most of the radios that TN operates have been replaced and are brand new Daniels radios. Low band are 250 watt Crescend PA and UHF are 150 watt PA's tuned down to 50 Watts.

Sorry for the length hope this helps.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Did you by chance try to see if the ERV Sites and TGs were used? That would have been the 868.9375-868.9875 control channel. ED traffic heard on other Sites may have been patched over.

Also UHF patch was active on 464.8500 151.4 This is a TN license in Tolland, Bolton, & Vernon.

chris

dittrimd

I was scanning the bank that has the ERV ID's and did not get anything. I was getting East Traffic 1 and 2 as well as the ADMIN channel. I did not get a chance to check out what they had running. Most of what I heard was traffic related not too much enforcement. They may have been on a TAC channel or some other channel.

The link you mention is a new repeater located on Box Mountain near the Bolton/Vernon line. It is a cross band to 33.44.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
Yes the CSP was fine actually UCONN is simulcast site for troop C and D. I was getting all CSP I beleive from the CP. 453.35 is loud and clear in Bloomfield. 453.275 came in well last yr i remember. 153.1250 comes in good. also get 152.0075 but there's a paging svce in htfd that bleeds over. also i get 155.2275 I get tones for all ambulance calls tn,ww,kx,qv but amb only. 452.225 somers repeater sometimes comes in good. e windsor ltr comes in fair. and when Hebron, Andover, Bolton and I think Columbia I pickup 453.6125 crossband. There are others in there that I have prgmd but only get them when I am closer.

Thanks,

As someone who know Tolland County radio infrastructure pretty well I can explain why there is such diverity in the repeaters you hear.

First off you are right, the infrastructure is a patch work of 33 MHz low band and UHF base stations and repeaters spread throughout the county at varying locations and tower eleveations. These sites are used according to the department(s) who have an active incident. I will go over the Spring Weekend setup and explain from there some the reasons why you may or may have heard all of the converstations.

On Thursday the CSP brought in one of the comm trucks and activated ITAC3. Mainly because from UCONN you have your choice of UNION or BIRCH MTN both which poor talk-in from UCONN. The trucks have limited range so that would not be to easy to pick up from too far away. I have listened to ITAC repeaters off UNION and BIRCH on my ITAC portable at my house in Coventry so talk out is not a major issue.

Friday night they were using 33.78 for staging and coordination of ambulances. If you monitored the low band side you would eather hear a 250 watt Daniels base station located at the top of Bald Hill in Tolland when TN keyed up or a 45 low band cross bande repeater at 55' on the Coventry tower. Or maybe they were using a low band mobile in which case you have been hard pressed to hear that from very far away. The UHF side 453.9625 is a 2 watt signal @ 20' on the Coventry tower. This is the only 33.78 cross band repeater in Tolland County. 33.78 is not one fo the primary operating frequencies it is used as a backup, cover assignements during structure fires and the dive team uses it for operations.

In addition they were using what TN calls Fire Ground Red 458.4125 for the local operations. At my house in Coventry I would hear mobiles loud and clear but portables were weak and scratchy.

They were trying to use a TN UHF 453.275 frequency for command but the repeater was having trouble. When it is working this a 180 watt ERP frequency on the top of the bald hill tower in Tolladn.

On Friday and Saturday they used a repeater at the Coventry tower on 453.350 for coordination. Again this is a 180 watt ERP repeater at the top of the Coventry Tower. You should have been able to hear it from a fair distance away.

UCONN's repeaters are located on a tower near Horse Barn Hill. They have some decent FB2 licenses on 453.4 adn 453.9 so you should have been able to hear them from a good distance.

When it comes to listening to Tolland County it helps to know where the cross band repeaters are so you can dial in the better UHF frequecny. TN operates on 33.44(Columbia,Mansfield, Andover, Bolton, Coventry, Tolland, Ashford), 33.86(Somers, Ellington, Stafford, Union, Willington), 33.48 (Vernon) and East Windsors UHF LTR trunk system. They dispatch on 33.80 and 153.125 but again it is town/department specific. So say Toland Fire goes out and you will hear the 33.80 and 153.125 250 watt base station on the Bald Hill tower in Tolland. Then say Columbia goes out and they hit hte 33.80 and 153.125 radios at the Coventry tower. This will sound very different to someone listening in say Bloomfield. This is the main reason why you hear varying levels of audio and signal quality.

Most of the radios that TN operates have been replaced and are brand new Daniels radios. Low band are 250 watt Crescend PA and UHF are 150 watt PA's tuned down to 50 Watts.

Sorry for the length hope this helps.

dittrimd

Yes the CSP was fine actually UCONN is simulcast site for troop C and D. I was getting all CSP I beleive from the CP. 453.35 is loud and clear in Bloomfield. 453.275 came in well last yr i remember. 153.1250 comes in good. also get 152.0075 but there's a paging svce in htfd that bleeds over. also i get 155.2275 I get tones for all ambulance calls tn,ww,kx,qv but amb only. 452.225 somers repeater sometimes comes in good. e windsor ltr comes in fair. and when Hebron, Andover, Bolton and I think Columbia I pickup 453.6125 crossband. There are others in there that I have prgmd but only get them when I am closer.

453.350 is a radio owned by the town of Coventry at the Coventry tower. It is normally used with multiple PL tones for various agencies in town. The FD uses it the most.

You should not hear 152.0075 voice anymore that was disconnected a while ago. That is the QV alpha paging system which is used by QV,WW, TN and KX. The 153.125 system was built to remove tone and voice from 152.0075 because of the issues with alpha paging.

The 452.6125 cross band is for 33.90 and it is located on the Birch MTN tower owned and operated by KX. 452.225 is a 33.86 cross band located on the DPS tower on Soapstone MTN owned and operated by Somers FD.

Glad to know that people are listening...

Status
Not open for further replies.