2010 Update to the N9JIG Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Cleaned up the shack over the last few days, got a new (used) computer, a couple additional scanners and moved some stuff around. I felt cramped with a lot of stuff, so I spread things out a bit. This means I roll the chair back and forth a little, but it is nice to clear off some desktop space.

Below is the radio part of the office. Radios include:
Uniden: BCT15 (6), BC15XT, BCD996T, BC785D (2), BC780XLT, BC796D.
GRE: PSR600, PSR400
RadioShack: PRO2096 (2), PRO163
Icom: R8500, R7000
Kenwood: TS440AT
Alinco DR635
Motorola: CDM1250u, CDM1250v
Midland: WX Receiver

Decoders:
Opto DC440,
CSI CD-1(4),
Cimarron C+II,
AOR ARD25

HH Scanners:
RS: Pro83 (2), PRO2096, PRO43, PRO106
Uniden: BCD396XT, BC330, BC346
GRE: PSR300

Talkies:
Moto HT1550u,
Kenwood THF6A, TK3140
Alinco DJ-S11 and DJ-C7

1.jpg

Computers in this shot include:
MacBook Pro 15,
Lenovo NetBook (running ARC996Pro)
Fujitsu tablet (Running ARC15)
HP Vista machine running both ARC15 and Pro96Com

Below is the overview of the main computer portion of the shack:

2.jpg

In this shot is my main computer, an Apple iMac24, with an additional 24 inch Cinema Display. The 20 inch Cinema display is on an HP Vista64 machine on the desk behind the monitor, running ARC15 and PRO96Com.

To the right of the iMac's second monitor is a 24 inch screen that is shared with 2 2.4 GHz. Windows XP machines under the desk. One is running ARC-XT the current display is PRO96Com.

Below shows the Windows computers under the desk, the flatbed scanner, the plane collection and printers:

3.jpg

Under the desk is the router, a couple hard drives for backups etc. and the fridge, well stocked with water and Diet Coke.

Finally, the two laziest cats in the universe, Fuzzy and Booters. Combined they have half the intelligence of the average peanut.

4.jpg

Not pictured are a couple more BCT15's used in other rooms as well as a Plectron. In the car is a RS Pro2096, BCD996XT, BCD996T and BCT15.

Antennas are in the attic, they feed several Stridsberg multicouplers. Includ The HF rig has a Slinky antenna, the HF side of the R8500 has a 20M dipole.

Astro25

Wow Rich, your collection just seems to keep growing every time!

I don't think I've seen that many BCT15s all in operation at once before :lol:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Good job Rich sweet command center!! Do you have any backup power? UPS Gen etc?

No BU power. Haven't really needed it. In 15 years in this house the power has failed exactly once, when a road crew dug up a power main when rebuilding the highway nearby. We have all underground utilities, much more reliable than overhead.

Since this is just a home shack, there really isn't a need for BU power, and I have plenty of handhelds if it were really an issue.

Now my work "shack" is a different story!

N9JIG

Sheriff
I'm coming to get you Rich :) The Quantity vs Quality item is about to rear it's ugly head :)

Nice work... looks great, as always...

Weird thing is though I use ALL of them almost all the time!

The 2096's are constantly running Pro96Com on a couple systems here. The 785's are used as target radios for Pro96Com or Trunker, while the PSR400 and PRO163 are used for Trunker data .

4 of the BCT15's are used for Fire Tone Out monitors, the BC15XT is used to log tones via Arc-XT. Another BC15 is used for CloseCall, the last one is used for general scanning, usually local aircraft stuff.

The 8500 and 7000 are for general dial twiddling and the HF rig is mostly used for SWLing, but I pop uup on 10M occasionally.

The Alinco is used for hamming around 2M and 440, the CDM-u is used on my work channels and GMRS, the CDM-V is used for 2M and my other work channels.

commscanaus

Once again, another OUTSTANDING setup!

The model planes are also a nice touch.

Nice to see it again Rich, thankyou!

Regards, Commscanaus.

maxkelley

Very nice shack, lots of stuff!
For your computers, instead of having 4 sets of keyboard/mice, try this:
Synergy
Install it on each computer there, set up one of them to be the server, and the three others connect to that server. It lets you use one set of keyboard/mouse on all four computers. They must be networked together, however... I'm assuming that they are.

foo9777

Hobby

It's nice to see someone enjoying this hobby of radios. I have always liked radios since I was a kid, we had an old Fransworth floor radio, am & shortwave...it got me started...........I'm now 65.
You have a great setup, you could spend hours in there........................love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.