2011 Tahoe PPV & 2013 Tahoe PPV Installs

Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking at both the 2011 Tahoe PPV Install and 2013 Tahoe Police Package PPV installs, I was also considering a new or barely used Tahoe PPV or a Suburban Commercial Decor, although I'm a bit un-decided on what I would pick.

The primary importance being "Official Use" mobile and portable: HF 1.6-30 [mobile], VHF Air & 136-174, UHF, including the other additional needed stuff that comes along like maps, air charts, laptop/s and whatever else has to go along (I'm sure you get the point).

Secondary HAM (All bands), CB, GMRS, etc…

If anyone wished to post pictures, send PM or pictures of incident command SUVs your welcome to do so!

Finally, any feedback or ideas?

Moderator,
If you think there is a better place to move my thread, your welcome to do so. Thank You!

WX4EMT

As the owner of the 2011 Tahoe PPV the only thing I can say for certain is that the only "other" vehicle I would consider owning is the Special Service Vehicle or "SSV" Tahoe in 4 wheel drive with a towing package. Any others need not apply. Traffic & parking is already difficult enough with a vehicle the size of my Tahoe so adding the additional length of a Suburban doesn't seem worth it.

Next thing to solve is the problem of HF antenna' what do you have in mind?

As the owner of the 2011 Tahoe PPV the only thing I can say for certain is that the only "other" vehicle I would consider owning is the Special Service Vehicle or "SSV" Tahoe in 4 wheel drive with a towing package. Any others need not apply. Traffic & parking is already difficult enough with a vehicle the size of my Tahoe so adding the additional length of a Suburban doesn't seem worth it.

The HF antenna would be a Mobat USA; HF-SSB Wide-band Mobile & Automatic System or a MB-6886-86

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I've seen Ford Expeditions used by LEA's. I don't know if they are a Ford equivalent to Chevy's PPV/SSV Tahoe's, or if the LEA has them worked on by the dealer, or by a 3rd party after purchase.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Ford's Expeditions are available in SSV trim, either 2WD or 4WD. You should be able to find some used ones if you search around enough. Assuming you're not a die-hard Chevy fan, of course :)

After looking at both the 2011 Tahoe PPV Install and 2013 Tahoe Police Package PPV installs, I was also considering a new or barely used Tahoe PPV or a Suburban Commercial Decor, although I'm a bit un-decided on what I would pick.

The primary importance being "Official Use" mobile and portable: HF 1.6-30 [mobile], VHF Air & 136-174, UHF, including the other additional needed stuff that comes along like maps, air charts, laptop/s and whatever else has to go along (I'm sure you get the point).

Secondary HAM (All bands), CB, GMRS, etc…

If anyone wished to post pictures, send PM or pictures of incident command SUVs your welcome to do so!

Finally, any feedback or ideas?

Moderator,
If you think there is a better place to move my thread, your welcome to do so. Thank You!

After carefully thinking about the above topic/vehicle, I was able to determine the order of importance for Tx/Rx.

Most Important for Tx & Rx;
1) HF
2) VHF-FM
3) UHF-1
4) UHF-2
5) VHF-AM/Air
6) 700/800 (Not sure, depending on location)

Not so Important;
7) CB (for use on the road)
8) HAM
9) HAM
10) Scanner (when transmitting is not needed)

If it can be done without harm, why not do it!

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
2011 Tahoe PPV & 2013 Tahoe PPV Installs

Sorry, but... I can't find PM anywhere in my page!

New users are moderated and do not have the ability to use the PM feature. This is to combat spam.

You should be able to post freely now.

Ford's Expeditions are available in SSV trim, either 2WD or 4WD. You should be able to find some used ones if you search around enough. Assuming you're not a die-hard Chevy fan, of course :)

I looked at the Ford Expeditions SSV, but don't really like Expeditions even though I'm not a Chevy fan.
But... do like the F-250/350/450s!

Most Important for Tx & Rx;
1) HF
2) VHF-FM
3) UHF-1
4) UHF-2
5) VHF-AM/Air
6) 700/800 (Not sure, depending on location)

Not so Important;
7) CB (for use on the road)
8) HAM
9) HAM
10) Scanner (when transmitting is not needed)

One thing that concerns me is the distance between antennas 2 to 6 ONLY when higher output is needed for transmitting (VHF 100W+ or UHF 50W+). Would a Tahoe SSV provide enough roof space to safely install antennas without damage to the other radios and scanner?
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.