2011 Tahoe PPV Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexscan

KG4LEO, if you want a copy of the GM internal Tech Manual for the SSV & PPV with all the options and wiring listings let me know I'll email the PDF

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
@Essex that would be great! I have gleaned all the info I could from the owner's manual and hand drawn the schematics for what I have figured out so far. Having the real-deal would help a LOT!

Thank You!

Last edited:

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Psr-600

Well the faceplates are beginning to trickle in so today I mounted the scanner:

PSR600.jpg

I tried to take PJs advice and wait until everything comes in and finish it in one swoop, but I can't help myself. I'm such a junkie!

Very nice job. Much nicer than some of the official installations I've seen or had done. A word of caution - try to separate your scanner antenna from the most-used radio antenna as much as possible. I blew the front-end out on a Pro-2096 because its antenna was too close (2 or 3 feet) to the one I had for a Syntor X-9000 (I was also using a 5/8 wave antenna, so more power could have coupled in). I put my 2 meter/440 antenna toward the back of my vehicle and the scanner antenna (only a quarter wave) toward the front now. No problems since.

rki616

TMD710A Head Plate

In my console I took some 1/8th inch light ply from the hobby shop. Cut it down to fit into the console, traced the outline of the head on it and took a jig saw to it. I built a holder out of scrap balsa and superglue. (Read Lots of superGlue since I didn't want to have anything showing out the front other then the mounting screws on the sides. Then I painted it with black truck bed coating. Couldn't tell the difference from the metal face plate until you tap it.

Here is the finished product in my truck from my install thread.

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/177516-2001-suburban.html

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
The GPS on the roof is a GlobalSat all in one. The GPS on the dash is an AvMap G5. The G5 is the perfect companion for the Kenwood D710 but it is not a very good navigator. Does anyone know if the G6 is any better?

JimAckley

Premium Subscriber
I love your setup and attention to detail, and I really love that scanner. I have the RadioShack equivalent, and it's a freakin' machine!

I modified the front storage pocket of my console to accommodate. I'm guessing you don't have these in the PPVs though:
555d6f02.jpg

and of course, my trusty CB :D Unfortunately my Yukon got totaled in March, so I have this all mounted in my 2011 Silverado.

timkilbride

Database Admin
There is no set date for completion. Since no-one makes a faceplate for the Kenwood D710 I will either have to scratch build one or pay Troy a $50 setup fee and $40 for the faceplate. Perhaps they will waive the setup fee if I let them borrow a control head to pattern from?

Yea right...

The armrest / siren control head / drink holder / storage compartment part of the front console has to be scratchbuilt as does the enclosure for the radios in the back. I'm very pickey so that may take some time to complete.

I promise there is no-one that wants this done more than I do but I would rather do it right than to do it over.

When I mounted my D700, I purchased a 3" blank faceplate. Made a pattern that would work with the rear of the D700 head, drilled the holes, and used self tapping screws and drilled them into the rear of the head from the rear of the faceplate.

Tim

jschandua87

Premium Subscriber
I love your setup and attention to detail, and I really love that scanner. I have the RadioShack equivalent, and it's a freakin' machine!

I modified the front storage pocket of my console to accommodate. I'm guessing you don't have these in the PPVs though:
555d6f02.jpg

and of course, my trusty CB :D Unfortunately my Yukon got totaled in March, so I have this all mounted in my 2011 Silverado.

What kind of Low-Profile Scanner Antenna do you have? Am looking for a another antenna that would work all band on the scanner.

ScanTN

@KG4LEO

Very nice setup! Looks very professional too. We're looking forward to seeing the rest of it when it's all finished. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new setup very nicely.

I also noticed that you do a little storm chasing using software like GRLevel3. Do you just run this over an air card? I'm running it on a desktop right now. You might be interested in looking into the service provided by Allison House if you're not already familiar with them.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber
My apologies if I come off sounding terse. Nothing personal, and the comment was in no way directed AT you, just a pre-emptive strike. The worst flaming I ever had in my life was here in RR concerning storm chasers with lights. I now fully expect to go to a special corner of hell reserved for baby killers, serial murderers and storm chasers with warning light setups. I just wanted to establish up front that I am not the "Sheriff Beauford T. Justice in high speed pursuit of the storm" type.

Actually, the correct response to any inquiry about lighting in any thread is, "None of your ________ business." It's YOUR installation, not anybody else's. Don't feed the lighting trolls.

(Climbing carefully down from soapbox).

This installation is going to look great. I know professional installers that don't go to this level of detail. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Larry

WX4EMT

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the kind words about my details. Truth be known I'm an old AF missile tech so my philosophy is not if it breaks but WHEN it breaks, I want it organized so it will be easy to troubleshoot and fix.

@Scan yes.. I use GR on a laptop with an air card on a Cradlepoint router. I also use my Toshiba Thrive, running Pykl3 tethered to my Droid. And YES I am an Allison House subscriber.

Reed Timmer drives his red Tahoe called the Dominator, I have a black one that's faster and sleeker, can I call her the Dominatrix?

Status
Not open for further replies.