2011 Tahoe PPV Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0LDK

Keith! Looking forward to seeing this baby in person.. I'll have to get mine on here once it's all sorted out, quite a few add-ons for me as well. Lookin good!

WX4EMT

Thanks Kyle it always feels good to get kudos from a pro and I hope to see some updated pics of yours soon!

I certainly hope to get a chance to chase with you guys next season.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Very nice job. Much nicer than some of the official installations I've seen or had done. A word of caution - try to separate your scanner antenna from the most-used radio antenna as much as possible. I blew the front-end out on a Pro-2096 because its antenna was too close (2 or 3 feet) to the one I had for a Syntor X-9000 (I was also using a 5/8 wave antenna, so more power could have coupled in). I put my 2 meter/440 antenna toward the back of my vehicle and the scanner antenna (only a quarter wave) toward the front now. No problems since.

^^^THIS^^^

Same thing happened to me with a 110 Watt VHF M7100 and a BCD996T. Blew the front end out of the scanner in micro-seconds.

JimAckley

Premium Subscriber
That s a very nice setup indeed. What is the switch for?
To turn my sub amps on/off. They give the CB a good deal of interference when they're on...

JBL15s.jpg

I wish I still had that Yukon :(

What kind of Low-Profile Scanner Antenna do you have? Am looking for a another antenna that would work all band on the scanner.

Here's the Comtelco All-Band Low Profile Mobile Antenna I use. It's about 17" tall and it sits on an NMO mount in my hood channel. That's my Wilson 5k in the background :D

7152989a.jpg

KD0LDK

^^^THIS^^^

Same thing happened to me with a 110 Watt VHF M7100 and a BCD996T. Blew the front end out of the scanner in micro-seconds.

I'll second this! I moved all my scanner antennas to my hood and my Spectra antenna is the furthest antenna back on my roof. 100 watts will destroy anything near it after time, or instantly. It's already claimed my Kenwood TM733.

WX4EMT

I'm not running any powerhouse 100 watt stuff anymore all Syntors have been retired and my 100 watt Spectras are destined for a rackmount / console base station arrangement. Everything I have mobile is 50 watt and they all got along on my Blazer but I'll keep the overload problem in mind.

The scanner antenna is identical to mine, I have run the same type for years and really like them.

@Jim, have you tried a large stiffening / filter cap? I have a 1 farad cap that I put in paralell and It did wonders for the "key-up" spike and the alternator whine.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I've seen a lot of VERY good installs, but this is certainly one of THE best. A lot of hard work and patience will result in a superior project every time!

KD0LDK

Not keeping a spectra for 146.55 simplex Keith? That's the only purpose I have for my spectra, is simplex channels while chasing. All my repeater stuff is done on low power usually.

WX4EMT

@ exk thanks for your kind words they are appreciated. I'm a wannabe installer playing paramedic to feed my radio habit.

@ Kyle I have gone over the fence! Everything is Kenwood, the TK-790 is VHF with a wide bandwidth. She will do storm simplex and VHF fire dispatch without re-tuning. Kenwood is easier to reprogram on the fly as well. BTW how did the 900 Mhz radios work out for you? We have a very strong 900 repeater here in Shelby Co that would be perfect for our Dixie Alley chase team.

Shucks.... I'd need another antenna....

Last edited:

WX4EMT

Dang Grimus, give a brother a chance! I need some hometime with the family. Maybe you could hurry it along by loaning me some of those big Lieutenant dollars!

KD0LDK

@ exk thanks for your kind words they are appreciated. I'm a wannabe installer playing paramedic to feed my radio habit.

@ Kyle I have gone over the fence! Everything is Kenwood, the TK-790 is VHF with a wide bandwidth. She will do storm simplex and VHF fire dispatch without re-tuning. Kenwood is easier to reprogram on the fly as well. BTW how did the 900 Mhz radios work out for you? We have a very strong 900 repeater here in Shelby Co that would be perfect for our Dixie Alley chase team.

Shucks.... I'd need another antenna....

Fair enough! Can't go wrong with Kenwood.. the 900 is great, virtually no activity in our area. There are a few repeaters in KC, but it's great for chase simplex between Justin and I. Very line of sight, but works well!

Nozzleman71

Premium Subscriber
Dang Grimus, give a brother a chance! I need some hometime with the family. Maybe you could hurry it along by loaning me some of those big Lieutenant dollars!

You know I am kidding, thanks for the fine install job you did on my tahoe !!

WX4EMT

Sure wish I could find a part time job doing installs that would feed my radio habit!

Sorry the antenna didn't last, guess you need a taller garage!

N9JIG

Sheriff
Very nice job. Much nicer than some of the official installations I've seen or had done. A word of caution - try to separate your scanner antenna from the most-used radio antenna as much as possible. I blew the front-end out on a Pro-2096 because its antenna was too close (2 or 3 feet) to the one I had for a Syntor X-9000 (I was also using a 5/8 wave antenna, so more power could have coupled in). I put my 2 meter/440 antenna toward the back of my vehicle and the scanner antenna (only a quarter wave) toward the front now. No problems since.

I can second, third and fourth this suggestion!

I have popped the protection diode several times on Stridsberg multicouplers in my vehicles over the years. They always fix them for me, I offer to pay but he never sends me a bill. It might be that I have half a dozen of his products...

Since i rearranged my antennas on my Pilot I have not had a problem. On my new van that I ordered tonight I am going to put the scanner antenna as far forward as the moonroof will allow and the two-ways as far back...

JimAckley

Premium Subscriber
@Jim, have you tried a large stiffening / filter cap? I have a 1 farad cap that I put in paralell and It did wonders for the "key-up" spike and the alternator whine.

For my CB? I hadn't thought about it. Oddly, I don't get alt noise on it but I can hear my spark plugs firing through it. I haven't looked into fixing it yet since its not a huge problem, but if you already know how, I am all ears.

I get zero-to-very minimal alt whine from my scanner. I used to get it bad from my powered external speaker in my Yukon, but I don't need it now since it's not flush mounted.

I have a 1.2 farad cap lying around from one of my old systems but that seems a little big for radio equipment, especially since the rule of thumb in the car audio world is 1 farad per 1kW of amplifier power. I'd be more apt to getting a .5 farad cap since that's easier to tuck up behind the panel my CB's on.

WX4EMT

Hook her up Jim! Your whine and fluctuations will go away. You can locate the CAP pretty much anywhere in the truck. To test it out make a cigarette lighter plug for it and just plug it in and drive a while. (Don't forget to charge the cap with a lightbulb, unless of course it has a built in loading circuit.) As for spark plug noise, that's a different animal altogether. The same old fix works good for impulse noise on CBs resistor wires and plugs to tame the spark.

Last edited:

WX4EMT

Hood off and sent to Varithane to have the bedliner stuff applied. No more worries about hail!

Hoodoff.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.