2012-2014 VIPER Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

basstuba

Premium Subscriber
42096 Robeson Cnty Fire dispatch now active. I have heard no tac channels on viper for robeson cnty.Dispatch only right now i have only heard a few mobil units for this talk group.

fcfd988

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Heard a Troop E Telecommunicator giving a test count earlier today on digital tg 13664 (Troop E Dist 5). Havent actually heard any comms.

fcfd988

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Update......

Just copied Salisbury transmitting on TG 13648 (Troop E Dist 4) and it did not sound like a test. They were simulcasting the same traffic on low band channel 10.

Did they make the switch to digital this AM?

I also copied digital comms from Salisbury communications on TG 16832 and that same traffic was being simulcasted on low band channel 10 as well. This TG is not listed in the database here.

Could this be the new digital TG for the newly created Troop E District 7?

Wes

Last edited:

CFP387

That's a good question. I'm still using a BC246T and I've been hearing some "data noise" and some analog on SHP VIPER today. I don't know if some are transmitting digital and some analog or what's going on.

CFP387

Just an update:

Talked to a communicator at Troop E a little bit ago and she said that the digital switchover happened about 800 this morning. However, they are still transmitting some analog on multiselects.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This is a time when you "local" radio buffs are more important than
ever. Please keep everyone updated as changes are made and you are able
to verify correct info.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

basstuba

Premium Subscriber
C.C. change site24 6038

site 24 6038 aka lumber new alt c.c. 868.1875 in use as of 3-12-12 17:30 just a fyi to anyone in se nc.

CFP387

This is a time when you "local" radio buffs are more important than
ever.

I agree Marshall! A quick question: I have heard ZERO traffic on VIPER on my 246T since the digital switchover yesterday. Should I still be hearing "data noise" on each talk group or will I not hear anything now since the switch?

trumpetman

Database Admin
Just a fyi the c.c. is back to 868.9125

This is why all my radios have the primary and alternate control channel stored for each site. So far, the Wake Simulcast is the only site that has more than just the primary and alternate, but a majority of the sites (all of the 5 channel sites), use the highest frequency as the primary and the next highest as the alternate.

Thanks for the heads up on the rotation.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Some anonymous info to pass along:

--NCSHP Troop D, Greensboro, all VIPER TG's are now digital (With the exception of Troop D Mut-Aid) (Done towards the end of Feb).

--NCSHP Troop E, Salisbury, all VIPER TG's are now digital (With the exception of Troop E Mut-Aid) (Done early March)

--NCSHP Troop C, Raleigh will switch over sometime in April

And as far as an "E7" talkgroup being online, some sources think its still being considered.

Troop D is keeping districts combined to cut back on the number of talkgroups on a specific site.

The SHP Mutual Aid talkgroups are staying analog to allow interoperability for those who either haven’t when digital or will not be going digital.

This info was submitted to RR.com from anonymous (but reliable) sources.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for catching and passing along that submission Chris. Good to see the updated progress.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I agree Marshall! A quick question: I have heard ZERO traffic on VIPER on my 246T since the digital switchover yesterday. Should I still be hearing "data noise" on each talk group or will I not hear anything now since the switch?

I believe the other posts have answered this (and sorry it took me awhile to catch up) but
there is no more patching between analog voice TGs and Digital voice TGs in SHP Troops D& E. Only Digital Voice Talkgroups.
And with the info that was submitted to Chris above it does appear that the other Troops will soon follow. VIPER is quickly becoming a digital voice TG only system.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have updated the database with the info Chris passed along.

As SHP Troops move to digital voice I am removing their analog voice talkgroups
from the database since they are no longer used and to help prevent future confusion.

Marshall KE4ZNR

oft

Premium Subscriber
So far right now, Troop B is still running the analog VIPER but with an increase of communications in the old 42 MHz VHF low-band. I'm wondering when the switchover to digital is going to take place in the Troop B district?

52to12

The Leland Fire/Rescue Dept.has received a $1 million grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland security Assistance to Firefighters program.
The grant was received on behalf of the Brunswick County Fire Chief's Association.Brunswick Co. will contribute an additional $360,000.
The funding will be used to purchase equipment to allow 22 of the 23 fire departments to implement the VIPER radio system. Only Sunny Point Military Ocean Terminal will not receive funding because it is a Federal Installation.
The VIPER system is expected to be operational by the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.