2012-2014 VIPER Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

Repeater system

I am trying to grasp how, and where, the V.I.P.E.R. repeater system is set up in W.N.C. I have no difficulty in receiving the system, it works fine. I just am trying to understand how when I am only monitoring the Meadows Mountain site in Asheville, on a wide open wildcard search, I will receive multiple I.D.'s from across Troop G. I can only make a guess that one or two large repeaters exist that cover the whole western part of the state, but that still won't explain why the Meadows Mountain system is processing frequencies not assigned to it. I have already searched wiki, and attempted a thread search on this thread. I received an error message on the thread search. Help? F.C.C. files indicate repeaters assigned to every site.

trumpetman

Database Admin
There are no assigned TGs to sites, only roaming permissions. Meadows is a busy site. It's the primary site for Asheville. You're going to hear just about every Troop G TG on there simply because the troop headquarters is there and there's more than likely a trooper from every district up there daily working on something (garage, paperwork, etc).

Mission Hospital is also in the coverage footprint for Meadows as well, so you're going to hear a lot of western counties on Meadows when the ambulances roam over to the site when transporting. Your best bet is to add a specific scan list to what you want to hear otherwise you're always going to hear something going on from a random part of WNC.

AlphaFive

Reapeater systems

Very cool, the roaming permissions explains that perfectly. Thank you. I have the whole system set up, on different folders and it works well, hosp, wildlife service, etc. I was trying to understand the system thinking about a traditional repeater system, my brain went into overload. Thanks again, take care

robkermit

VIPER Legacy 3600 Baud Analog/Digital Discussion

Alpha Five, each tower is a repeater. However it works like a cellphone tower, each tower carries the traffic for each talkgroup affiliated with it.

If you are doing wildcard search and don't want to hear Troop G and other talkgroups, you can put them in a group and then lock the group out.

If you don't understand how VIPER works, you should look up how a trunked radio system works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlphaFive

repeater system

The "cellphone tower" is an excellent analogy also. That really gives a clear picture. Thanks to all of you. That's why this is a great forum, even a dim bulb like me gets it, haa

robkermit

jthorpe

I want to know why on the wake county system that 853.2625 has a constant signal on it Once the scanner is told to go there, you're stuck until you hit the scan button again. The band plan change helped me for everything else but that.

rpgallagher

Premium Subscriber
Wake rebanded VIPER issue

I began having the "control buzz" or "control breakthrough" issue on VIPER in Wake yesterday afternoon (Monday 4/28). I hadn't encountered it before that. It shows up randomly, it appears, on various talk groups. Curious, I put 2625 in as a third control channel, even though 2625 seems to be in control today.

It sounds like a control channel, but my 396T does not acknowledge it as one for scanning purposes. I'm wondering if some other user was assigned or stumbled onto .2625 by mistake, but I haven't had a chance yet to do a freq search in the licenses. Seems unlikely, but....

WA4MJF

I guess my PRO-2096 is P-25 because it works in Wake County sites. So I don't have to do anything for this. Correct? Anyone know if when Wake is shifting to Cary? Heard CC voted to move a while back.

Ronnie

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I guess my PRO-2096 is P-25 because it works in Wake County sites. So I don't have to do anything for this. Correct? Anyone know if when Wake is shifting to Cary? Heard CC voted to move a while back.

Ronnie

While the statewide VIPER system will go through the P25 conversion process starting in June,
the Wake County Simulcast System will remain 4.1 Mixed mode
for the foreseeable future. Current time frame has Wake County connecting up with
Cary sometime around 2016. Until then things should remain the same as
far as Wake County Communications (meaning that as long as your scanner
can handle mixed analog/digital rebanded trunked radio systems you should be fine).
More info regarding Wake Counties recent decisions can be found on the Wake
County Website:
800 MHz Radio System Replacement Project

Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

Ronnie

Ronnie,
For the Pro 2096/Pro 96:
Need to add: You need to make sure you have changed the Control Channel
frequencies plus added the rebanding tables as indicated in the following thread:
http://forums.radioreference.com/north-carolina-radio-discussion-forum/289822-wake-county-simulcast-how-hear-once-again.html

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Is Viper going to be phase 2 ????? Which system will be Viper on
I can't afford a getting a new Scanner already have one

Jake:
No VIPER is not going Phase 2. And your BCD436HP will work fine on VIPER
now and in the future.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Jake:
No VIPER is not going Phase 2. And your BCD436HP will work fine on VIPER
now and in the future.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Well, I'll go with "work", but I won't so far as "work fine". As always, your mileage might vary, as it seems that scanners have widely varying results decoding IMBE voice streams transmitted over the various coding schemes.

Goodbye to the salad days of analog radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.