2012-2014 VIPER Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Well, I'll go with "work", but I won't so far as "work fine". As always, your mileage might vary, as it seems that scanners have widely varying results decoding IMBE voice streams transmitted over the various coding schemes.

Goodbye to the salad days of analog radio.

Even analog has its drawbacks.
But this is not the place to get into an analog vs digital debate. :)
Let's not deviate from the main topic of this thread which is VIPER legacy system
discussion.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

jthorpe

Hmmm, I'm noticing that Raleigh PD TG's aren't coming in very well. Do they have consoles multi-selected on some of the TG's? I'm missing a lot, hearing nothing on the Tac channels or LEOPS channels, and on top of that, getting a huge error rate when I try to listen to them. I've noticed that the other agencies are fine. Raleigh is sucking wind. Running a BCD536HP. TG's appear to be correct in my programming.

rpgallagher

Premium Subscriber
I have not had trouble getting the district tac TGs or the LE ops TGs, but RPD's signal quality is indeed down this week. They're often scratchy or weak on a 396T in downtown Raleigh. Like you say, the rest of Wake seems fine.

jthorpe

Yeah it's very strange. So Raleigh just had an incident where they moved to LEOPS 6. I couldn't hear a thing on my scanner even though I knot the TG was correct. I double checked it with my XTS5000 and the TG numbers are the same in hex. Everything matches. I heard it fine on my XTS but couldn't hear a thing on the scanner. Very odd. I figured out the Tac issue. I have to have services turned on in this home patrol setup or you won't hear those TG's. I went and turned on all services and all worked fine. RPD is degraded though.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I was out of the office under the weather yesterday but I do remember hearing several
times over the last couple of days that both Raleigh PD and Garner PD were complaining of radio transmitting and reception issues. Should be resolved by now I believe.

JThorpe: Check your email.

Marshall KE4ZNR

jthorpe

So a very quick review of the BCD536HP on VIPER. I've been using it all day today and I've been all over the county. Regardless of the learning curve, which is no problem, the scanner has some great features. My only issue right now is that when it's on simulcast, it's completely unusable for most parts of the County except the north side. If I'm on the south side, I have to stay on the fuquay site. The scanner is very sensitive so that site works for me on a large portion of the South side. When I get out of range of that site, though, it's not good. While I have good signal strength the voice quality is so poor that I am lucky to hear 50% of the conversations. I have my 996T running beside it and it is a thousand times better on the simulcast sites. I thought for sure this problem would be fixed by now but either two things are happening. My 30 years of scanning experience has taught me nothing and I have it programmed completely wrong or these issues are simply not fixed, and might never be. I have an XTS, XTL, BCD996 and BCD536HP and the 536 hears almost nothing. I wish I could say something more positive about it because I want to fall in love with this thing. It's a beautiful and awesome piece of equipment. This in my opinion is its ONLY downfall. I hope this gets to upman because I'm a real world user who uses these things for work and I'm very very familiar with VIPER and how it operates as well.

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
For anyone interested I have found and entered the newest viper site#203 located on Edwards brothers rd. in Lillington strong signal little activity so far I guess because of resent activation.

Loverickbass

Premium Subscriber
On the current Viper; APCO mode auto or manual? I've had better luck with manual on Union County P25, I wonder if this would be best for Viper?

Thanks,Cole

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
VIPER

I did monitor Sanford/lee co on viper a while back but not lately, have unconfirmed report that they may have switched from viper to a uhf digital system???

GB1952

Premium Subscriber
Talk group # 944 events bravo 2 mostly Hp troopers with security and traffic
Talk group # 796 events bravo 3 medical ops
this is for Pinehurst golf ops and the troopers check in around 5am

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Now that VIPER has migrated to P25 it is time to put this thread to bed.
Hard to believe it has been about a decade since the 1st VIPER sticky thread was created.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.