2012 Chevy Equinox (In Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
This is a work in progress, but I figured I had made at least enough progress to post something or another. I'll keep updating the thread as it is slowly completed. I haven't totally conecealed the antenna cables yet since I have two more mounts to install. And yes, the Motorolas being at seat-side is annoying me living with it probably as much as it is ya'll looking at it... :D

Radios:
-Yaesu FT-7900R Dual Bander (Ham)
-Motorola Maxtrac 300 16ch VHF (Rail)
-Motorola Radius M1224 4ch UHF (Fire/EMS)
-Uniden HomePatrol-II

Completed so far:
-Browning VHF 5/8 Wave AAR Band (Rail) Antenna w/ Roof NMO Mount
-Power run from battery to interior with Powerpole Connectors.
-Lido seat-bolt gooseneck mount installed.
-Lido extension plate and attachments installed.

To be completed:
-Install two additional Roof NMO Mounts for Diamond AZ504SP Dual Bander & Laird BB4503S 450-470MHz (Doing on Tuesday)
-Install HomePatrol-II Mount In Center Console Cubbyhole.
-Mount FT-7900R Body beneath passenger seat.
-Mount RIGrunner 4005H beneath passenger seat.
-Mount mic clips.
-U-bracket to reduce mount vibration.
-Eventually find permanent mounting for Motorolas.

Pics:

Attachments

• IMG_2609-001.JPG
    IMG_2609-001.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 1,461
  • IMG_2610-001.JPG
    IMG_2610-001.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 1,388
  • IMG_2612-001.JPG
    IMG_2612-001.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 1,997
  • IMG_2614-001.JPG
    IMG_2614-001.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,324
  • 2010-Chevrolet-Equinox-Multi-Flex-rear-seat.jpg
    2010-Chevrolet-Equinox-Multi-Flex-rear-seat.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,402
Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks good. My dad has one of those with a 7900 mounted in it. You'll find the 7900 control head fits nicely inside the center space under the CD slot:

0b4e81a8-3a31-4c4b-903c-05794995eca7_zpsfsczbyty.jpg

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Looks good. My dad has one of those with a 7900 mounted in it. You'll find the 7900 control head fits nicely inside the center space under the CD slot:

You know, I hadn't quite thought about putting it there. That's another great idea. Thanks for that!

gesucks said:
Do not use a rigrunner in a vehicle. Do it right and use a BlueSea. It will hold up better, last longer and be better protected.

I used a RIGrunner setup with a PowerGuard and breaker set-up in my Impala for years. never had an issue. Is there a particular negative experience you had with similar use?

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
He's probably referring to why go all the way do drill holes for antennas and transceiver mounts but use something as bulky and temporary as the rigrunner block. I thing they are appropriate for frequent connects and disconnects, (never happy with your radio setup) not a permanent installation in a vehicle. However if your heart is set on them, look at the "H" horizonal models for a more low profile install.

Also, all the pictures in this thread look pretty good so far BTW. There's only so much room in these cars to work with.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
He's probably referring to why go all the way do drill holes for antennas and transceiver mounts but use something as bulky and temporary as the rigrunner block. I thing they are appropriate for frequent connects and disconnects, (never happy with your radio setup) not a permanent installation in a vehicle. However if your heart is set on them, look at the "H" horizonal models for a more low profile install.

Also, all the pictures in this thread look pretty good so far BTW. There's only so much room in these cars to work with.

The reasoning behind that choice in power distribution is simple. I plan to use an H-model, specifically a 4005H. As a journalist, I spend a lot of time in New York, Jersey City, and Newark (NJ) where if it even looks expensive, it won't be there when you come back...and neither will your windows.

The radio body's and RIGrunner will be mounted to a piece of plywood, covered in the same carpeting as the Equinox interior (thanks to a buddy who works for GM) and slid under the passenger sear. I'll be able to disconnect the power-in from the RIGrunner, and pull the whole thing out before I have to go to less-savory places.

Thanks on the pics. I agree on the limited space, I wish there was more. But adapt to overcome, right? :D

The two additional NMO mounts go in tomorrow, and the dual bander and RIGrunner I should finally get around to putting in on Friday when I'm off. Still trying to figure out where to mount the Motorolas that won't require being Stretch Armstrong to be able to change channel or volume.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
The two additional NMO mounts went in this afternoon, along with the Laird UHF Whip. Unfortunately I left the Diamond 2m/70cm dual bander (AZ504SP) at work, so I stuck an 800MHz Larsen just to keep the mount covered. Nevertheless, looks good in my opinion.

More progress on hardware instillation this weekend. (And a car wash.)

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 710
Status
Not open for further replies.