2012 Chevy Equinox...The Final Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Welp, after 253,000Km and years of meddling around trying to fit 10lbs of stuff into a 5lbs sack, I think the 'Nox is finally in it's final configuration. Which is funny cause it's not even my main vehicle anymore, just my solo roadtrip rig. The remote heads are mounted on a Lido gooseneck seat rail mount, with the bodies mounted under the passenger seat. The SDS200 goes in the compartment under the laptop and is run off ProScan on said laptop. Power is run off a fused terminal block, which draws directly from the battery, and all equipment is properly chassis grounded. Passenger side airbag is disabled.

Radios:
FT-857D
FT-8800R
HomePatrol-II
SDS-200
XTS5000

Antennas are a Larsen NMO150B tuned to the AAR/RAC band filtered through a very narrow 160-162MHz preselector and boosted by a VHF preamp into the FT-8800R, a Laird WPD136M6C-001 150/450/700-900, and a Comet SSB-2NMO 2m/70cm. For HF I use the ATAS-120A on a K400 mount on the hatchback, but I leave it off unless I'm using it.

The numberpad keyboard is specifically for ease of entering frequencies into Unitrunker and notes one handed instead of having to swing the laptop around every time.

It's definitely not perfect, but it's clean as can be in a Equinox with this much stuff, it's safe, and it works.

IMG_20200618_161551432.jpg

Capture (1).jpg

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Nice - looks pretty neat and orderly for having several radios at arm's length. I applaud you for a safe install, too.

sgtmatt

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2018 Chevy Trax with a Kenwood TK 5710, I have alot of loose wiring from when it was put in, was wondering how you went about running you're wires. Also what type of radio tree are you using, I'd like to get one for my Kenwood so the head can be a bit more accessable.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2018 Chevy Trax with a Kenwood TK 5710, I have alot of loose wiring from when it was put in, was wondering how you went about running you're wires. Also what type of radio tree are you using, I'd like to get one for my Kenwood so the head can be a bit more accessable.

I pulled a lot of interior trim to run the wires cleanly and went through a spare gromet in the firewall for power. The goodneck mount can be purchased from Lido Mounts (https://www.lidomounts.com/homepage.html).

GamerMason

Looks nice and neat. One thing with my install that I have not yet shared is the lack of room. With a portable I have found you need an external speaker if you want to listen to music as well. Looks like that could be possibly the case with yours as well. Also looks like you have taken at least one cup holder away. It also looks like the passenger seat is either crowded or completely taken as well. It is super hard with these vehicles because they make them so crammed with the default computers, airbags etc. i like though that you are taking what you have and making it work though. Well done. Would love to see a picture from the passenger side / back side and also a picture of the top part of the vehicle as where you only have a low shot. 👍
*note: I do know you said it was a solo trip vehicle. But there is always a “what if” right? lol

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
That's a lot to fit in the space you have. I have to agree, car installs are more challenging than they used to be.

Oh it's definitely a lot. But again, solo trip vehicle.

*note: I do know you said it was a solo trip vehicle. But there is always a “what if” right? lol

The what-if is easy. The AutoExec car desk is just secured to the front seat with the seatbelt and ratchet straps. So it is 100% removable. Just takes a few extra mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.