2012 Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
This is my company truck, so everything is "temporary" installed. The truck has 102k miles and is expected to be replaced within the year.

Mag antennas, because company vehicle:
IMG_20200609_170008 by tweiss3, on Flickr
I messed up and bought the 5.5" mag, a 3.5" mag is on its way (after 2 damaged in transit orders). Antenna will move back to 12" from sun roof opening. Tram 1/4 wave whip for UHF/GMRS and Little Wil for CB.

The messy center console:
IMG_20200609_165936 by tweiss3, on Flickr
Phone is mag mounted to vent clip, and charges/audio from AndroidAuto. TK-8150 remote head is attached to a bracket I made that tucks between the chevy radio head and console plastic, so its a zero drill install. HT CB radio sits below it for listening to trucker activity. Transceiver is attached to the back of the rear seats.

I also clip a BF-F8HP to the visor for the VHF and Analog safety services.
IMG_20200609_165936 by tweiss3, on Flickr

Not pretty, but it does the job with the very limited space I have. Its also all designed to be removed pretty quickly.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Even if you must use mag mounts on your company SUV I would try to tidy up the coax leading uo the UHF antenna. Maybe get it tighter, so it doesn't flop around too much and scratch the paint. Also you need to remove the mag mounts carefully and clean the area under them to avoid paint damage.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
To piggy back on what @hill said, it looks like that UHF antenna is way forward, near the sunroof. I'd move it back; midways between the back and the sunroof should be fine. This would cut down on how much cable is on the roof and make for better placement/groundplane.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Even if you must use mag mounts on your company SUV I would try to tidy up the coax leading to the UHF antenna. Maybe get it tighter, so it doesn't flop around too much and scratch the paint. Also you need to remove the mag mounts carefully and clean the area under them to avoid paint damage.
Since I messed up and ordered the wrong mag mount, I can't move it back yet. I plan to move it to within 24" of the CB when the new mount comes in. The roof profile won't let this sit flush if I move it back, thus the need for the 3.5" mag mount. The area was cleaned under each mount prior to placement.

To piggy back on what @hill said, it looks like that UHF antenna is way forward, near the sunroof. I'd move it back; midways between the back and the sunroof should be fine. This would cut down on how much cable is on the roof and make for better placement/groundplane.
See above, will be addressed once the new mount comes in. It has been damaged twice in transit and delayed twice. Amazon has really been a piece of crap lately.

Whats the gadget in the left vent?
Moshi USB-C adapter because bluetooth audio isn't a thing in this car. I just hang it there when my phone isn't plugged in to keep cables from being tangled.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I swapped mounts to the Tram 1235, and while I was at it, grabbed a Larsen NMO150/450/758 instead of the quarter wave. Swept it for GMRS and I see no change in SWR. Antenna is just off center to the drivers side (there is a ridge that is centered on the roof) and is 12" from the sunroof, and exactly 24" from the CB antenna. It is a bit more forward than I thought it would be, but I ran the cable to the roof rack rail and attached it. to that to keep it off the roof.

I will say, I notice I am receiving signals much farther out than I was with the quarter wave, or maybe this is just perceived improvement. I realize by the numbers the transmit should be the exact same (both unity gain), but I do like the antenna, and I now know what you guys mean my the Larsen super seal is superior to all, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.