• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2012 Ford Escape Limited Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I am in the very beginning stages of building a new to me 2102 Ford Escape and for me the first part is deciding on a console to install.

I have noticed that Havis makes a console for the 08-12 Escape that completely replaces the factory console. Here's the link: Havis Products | C-VS-1800-ESC-1 2008-2012 Ford Escape Vehicle Specific 18" Console

Troy Products also makes a console. It is the 6th product down.
Here's the link: Consoles - Products

I'm looking for suggestions and reviews on the consoles this point. I am going to mount a TM-281 for APRS, TM-V71 (possibly upgraded to a D710), and BCD996XT (currently listed on the classifieds, if sold will upgrade to a 536HP).

I like the fact that the Troy "preserves" most of the factor look to the console but have no reference as to their quality. Havis on the other hand take away the factory look but has a reputation of good quality products. With the Troy console I have to cut the original console to get it to fit (they e-mailed me the installation instructions).

This vehicle is going to be my daily driver so comfort is of some concern, also it will be used for trips during vacations and holidays so I need to keep my wife in mind and happy (Happy Wife, Happy Life). Anywho any suggestions, thought or comments either way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
either one you have to modify some to get it to fit and or remove the factory console. I have installed both and prefer the troy

n5ims

I like the fact that the Troy "preserves" most of the factor look to the console but have no reference as to their quality. Havis on the other hand take away the factory look but has a reputation of good quality products. With the Troy console I have to cut the original console to get it to fit (they e-mailed me the installation instructions).

If modifying the existing console is an issue, remove it and store it for when you sell/trade the car. Get one from a junk yard (they're basically the same from 2008 - 2012 so you should have a selection) and cut that one up as necessary. Removal without damage isn't all that difficult (it should be in the instructions they sent you) and you may even get a bit more when you sell it since the console should be in nearly new condition (no sun fading, scrapes, etc.).

swstow

Premium Subscriber
i have installed both in have always like the havis , it is in my opinion a better built / stronger unit that will last

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I just dont like the way the havis is. I really dont like any of their consoles for any vehicles

Chilledboost

I have a 2009 XLT 4x4, i have bought all of my equipment and am waiting to install when the weather gets better and i have time off work. i bought a Jotto console since it was only 290 with all the faceplates. my radios are a TM-d700 2m/440, Motorola XPR 4550 UHF, Motorola APX 6500 UHF/700/800, and a Radioshack PRO-2096.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Drop I filler plate

So I started doing some brainstorming and thought of making my own drop in console. What I'm trying to find now is to see if someone makes a plate that would sit in place of the organizer that comes in the console from the factory. Just want a flat piece to sit in place of the console and fill the hole in the front of the console that is left when the factory insert is removed.

From there my plan is to use faceplates from whoever and mount the faceplates to the plate, having already cut a hole in it to allow the radio. I would then use the front panel that covers the big hole in the front to panel mount mic connectors.

Right now my plan is to mount a TM-V71, BCD536HP and a TM-281 in there. I need an absolute minimum of 5.58" (142mm) if all the radios are stacked one on top of the other.

I'm pretty sure one can be made fairly simply. Just trying to see if anyone makes one that is nice, clean and polished that will drop right in out of the box (a.k.a. The Lazy Way Out)

Thanks in advance!

73s,
Evan
KK4LQX

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Just wants to give an update! It's taking shape nicely!

e3y3uzyd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
ha ha ha where there's a desire, there's a way! Great job in improvising and coming up with something that works for you! You must have a lot of VHF in your area that you want to listen to if you have both the V71A and 281!

Mike

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Oh and yes I'm either going to powder coat it or spray paint it. Haven't settled on one yet. I'm gonna play with it for a while and make sure everything is how I like it first.

And I can't take credit for it. I had someone else make it for me.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
So just wanted to give an update again, everything is installed and working! So the first the pics are just a front, passenger and rear pic of the exterior. The passenger side rear antenna broke so I'm waiting on the replacement to show up. It'll be identical to the other rear one (3db Motorola Spectrum). The next picture is a picture from the drivers side. You can see the RPC Electronics YagTracker APRS terminal mounted to the window. Next is a zoomed out pic of the console and the next one in a zoomed in one. The last picture is a picture from the passenger side.

Status
Not open for further replies.