2012 GMC Sierra Instal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
We ran power through the factory gromet and through factory wire loom to the battery.uploadfromtaptalk1405329946605.jpg The Coax was ran under the headliner from directly under the dome light. We used a stinger to pull the coax through. This helps especially because you do not have to drop the head liner. The coax was then routed through the weather stripping on the driver side door and routed behind the fuse box and ran under the carpet with the power and into a small 3/4 in. hole that was drilled in the locking center console under the center seat.uploadfromtaptalk1405329967545.jpgThe Radio and Wouxun KGUV920P-A was installed in the hidden compartment that locks which is a nice feature and is well hidden!uploadfromtaptalk1405330014499.jpg The PCTEL Dual Band Antennauploadfromtaptalk1405330023167.jpg

Big thanks to John N0XG for helping greatly with the install. Couldn't have drilled a hole in my shiny new truck by myself!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405329946605.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405329946605.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,572
Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
How well does the Wouxon work? I've been looking at them but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Will it also do Alpha-Numeric?

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
Really nice to see an install on a newer Sierra, I can't find to many threads on them. Looks good!

73's.

-KG5CAY

Thank you! I couldn't find many either I hope this is inspiration to others who have similar trucks!

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
How well does the Wouxon work? I've been looking at them but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Will it also do Alpha-Numeric?

The Wouxun works great! I would get it from universal-radio. It's about 100 bucks cheaper on there and yes it will do Alpha-Numeric Display!

KG5CAY

If I may ask, where did you run the wires through? Yes you say factory gromet but honestly where was it located? I have a 2011 Sierra and the only gromet I was able to find in the dash was under the steering wheel right behind my fuse box, which would require me to disassemble my fuse box to use that gromet. What I did was run my wires under the cab through an existing hole capped off (for a future gromet use).

-KG5CAY

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
If I may ask, where did you run the wires through? Yes you say factory gromet but honestly where was it located? I have a 2011 Sierra and the only gromet I was able to find in the dash was under the steering wheel right behind my fuse box, which would require me to disassemble my fuse box to use that gromet. What I did was run my wires under the cab through an existing hole capped off (for a future gromet use).

-KG5CAY

The Gromet that was used was just behind and above a black box just to the right of the fuse box. A few small cuts with a pocket knife made just enough room to get power through.

Status
Not open for further replies.