• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2012 Impala Police install question

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
best speaker for scanner i found is get some used motorola radio speakers and just cut the plug off and solder to 1/8 mono plug. Now i understand some the portable scanners are stereo.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
best speaker for scanner i found is get some used motorola radio speakers and just cut the plug off and solder to 1/8 mono plug. Now i understand some the portable scanners are stereo.

Volume may still be low and hard to hear at highway speeds or with the windows down. There are several variants of DC powered amplified Motorola speakers that work well when reconfigured for scanner use.

twjr80

Feed Provider
Holy crap!

the OP asks a question about using car speakers for his scanners and he gets grilled about the choice of his car. For crying out loud frazpo, either answer the person's question or GTFO.

lu81fitter

quote from twjr80 ---> "the OP asks a question about using car speakers for his scanners and he gets grilled about the choice of his car. For crying out loud frazpo, either answer the person's question or GTFO." <---end.

It's not a big deal. The things in question were clarified.

Thanks again for the suggestions on speakers. I'm looking in to a few options now.

twjr80

Feed Provider
speakers

A friend of mine once had his radio hooked to the Suburban speakers. Sounded horrible.

Best bet is Motorola speakers. If not those, then the Yaesu MLS speakers are great. Then there is the MFJ281 speaker.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
the OP asks a question about using car speakers for his scanners and he gets grilled about the choice of his car. For crying out loud frazpo, either answer the person's question or GTFO.
Please refrain from playing moderator. If you think a post or a thread violates the forum rules, use the Report Post feature to alert a moderator.

All of you, please make sure your comments are answering the OP's questions. If your post questions the OP's intentions or goes off on tangents about whackers, this is not the thread for you.

frazpo

The subject was stereotypes. Your comment here was just as off topic as mine. As you were.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
I thought this forum was for radio equipment installation.... I didn't know I had to explain my car buying preferences and driving habits. But, I guess its not a big deal. Now you know. If anyone has any tips on connecting the speakers, please chime in. Thanks again.

Some people have nothing better to do than sway the thread into a bashing session.

Is this the document you have??

Attachments

• SpeakerWire2012.jpg
    SpeakerWire2012.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 170

cmdrwill

The only problem with using factory radio speakers, in the doors or rear deck, is they are wide range music speakers, AKA Hi Fi. Not what we would want for two way radio audio.

If you look at the speaker cone in a Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, or other two way radio speaker, they are harder so the frequency response is in and restricted the 300 to 3000 Hz voice range.

So, it comes down to personal choice.

The father of Police Radio on the west coast, Herschel Calvert, gave me a Motorola T Power speaker back in the late '60s, and that is still the best sounding speaker for two way.

LAPD in the 70's changed out the speaker in the rear deck to the same speaker used in the Motrac.

Status
Not open for further replies.