2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerd15

Recently purchased the Uniden BCD325P2...what a powerful little radio! I've been using a VX-150 for the last few years just to listen to local rail and some county radios. A lot of departments near me are going digital P2, so needed to invest to listen in. Was on the fence about the TRX from Whistler and Uniden, but past experience with Uniden won out and here we are.

I could on;y have a clean installation since the wife will sometime use the Jeep and didn't want the radio in the way or floating around in the cup holder.....besides, where would I put the coffee?!?!?!

I had a Proclip mount laying around and did a slight modification to allow it to mount just to the left of the climate control panel.

I purchased the Ram mount to hold the radio and allow me access to all the buttons.

Here is the mounted bracket and Ram mount with the radio/climate control bezel removed.

More to come.......

Attachments

• IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,474

walkerd15

....to continue on.....

I needed shave off a little of the trim work to route the antenna and power cable to get to the unit. Just enough so that the trim pieces could fit back together yet not so much as to leave a noticeable hole. The power cable is a USB cord that is run back to the center console. There I have it plugged in to the factory cigarette lighter.

The antenna is a mag mount all band scanner antenna and the performance is phenomenal! I've never been as impressed with radio reception until now! I used a couple 90d connections to make it all line up.

With the trim pieces put back into place, this is how it looks from the drivers seat. The radio is at hand level and can easily be operated with my arm comfortably on the arm rest. The nice BIG back-lit display makes it very easy to see.

Attachments

• Radio.jpg
    Radio.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,413

awd

Nice work! I own a 325 myself. It's what got me into the scanning hobby. I have a work-issued APX in its place now, but when I had my 325 mounted mobile before, I had a cup holder cell phone mount that it would sit in, with the antenna and power cables semi tucked away. Your install is definitely a lot cleaner than mine was.

dmg1969

Nice. It looks clean and functional! I have the analog predecessor, the BC125AT. My county will soon be switching from their old low band system to a new system with some P25 channels. I have an HP-1, which I will use in my car, but need a digital scanner for home. I have been looking heavily at the 325P2. So you like it?

walkerd15

I've been a fan of Uniden for a long time now, however, I went away for awhile and was using the Yause VX-150 as my main scanner. Everything I needed to listen to was on the VHF band anyway and the reception of that radio was out of this world.

I was very hesitant about coming back to a traditional scanner as I liked the small footprint that the VX-150 has and the battery life. The base/mobile was looked at but couldn't find anything with the detachable head.

The 325 is full of features and options that I haven't even thought about touching yet. So far the only disappointment is the battery life or lack there of. Full charge will last about 3 hours. For me, the way the radio stores frequencies has taken a little to get used to. I find myself changing how its programmed to optimize its use.

Audio on the digital is amazing.....night and day. It's hard to listen to analog transmissions anymore.

I'd buy it again.

SCPD

QRT
For a portable install it looks awesome,but a mobile would look even cooler inside the silver pocket with the flip up door. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.