• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2012 Ram 1500 Ignition Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonfan954

Premium Subscriber
I'm about to install a CDM1250 in my 2012 Ram 1500 and I was wanting to know what and where the best location would be to connect the ignition sense wire to. Thank you.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The igniton sense takes very few amps to tell the radio on or off... the cigar lighter plug is key controlled.. take it off that circut

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm about to install a CDM1250 in my 2012 Ram 1500 and I was wanting to know what and where the best location would be to connect the ignition sense wire to. Thank you.

See if Dodge has an upfitter guide for the 1500. I know Ford and GM do. They often have dedicated circuits you can user for this.

Another option is to find an unused circuit. I did that on one of our work trucks, a 2007 Chevy Colorado. Found the sun roof power circuit taped off behind the A-pillar trim. I simply extended that circuit to where the radio was for the ignition sense lead. I found the unused fuse slot for the sun roof, and put in a 3 amp fuse.

a417

U+0000
The igniton sense takes very few amps to tell the radio on or off... the cigar lighter plug is key controlled.. take it off that circut
milliamps, it's only a sense circuit.

I've never had a CDM Ign sense lead overload the circuit being tapped, however I was careful with what I tapped - as the CDM series is notoriously sensitive to power surges/spikes on the ign sense pin.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
milliamps, it's only a sense circuit.

I've never had a CDM Ign sense lead overload the circuit being tapped, however I was careful with what I tapped - as the CDM series is notoriously sensitive to power surges/spikes on the ign sense pin.
Then why does Motorola specify a 3 amp fuse? I've been installing them since they came out and never had an issue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Then why does Motorola specify a 3 amp fuse? I've been installing them since they came out and never had an issue.

Kenwood does the same thing with their ignition sense kits. 3 amp fuse.
Probably to cover installers that tap multiple radios off the single circuit. The wire is certainly large enough for 3 amps, so unlikely it would cause any issues.

APX7500X2

Its F101 in my under hood fuse box on my ram..The 2nd fuse is a spare

Attachments

• Fuse1.PNG
    Fuse1.PNG
    953.1 KB · Views: 14
  • fuse2.PNG
    fuse2.PNG
    864.7 KB · Views: 13

a417

U+0000
The CDM only draws maybe a hundred milliamps via that sense circuit, you can test it. Would you rather they specify something odd, like a custom made 319 mAh fuze that you had to specialty order from Moto , and they then declare it NLA when they kill the line? You can buy a 3 amp fuze from any brick and mortar store.

I'm also sure the fuze works the other way too, helps protect any failure in the CDM circuitry from feeding back into the sense source and letting smoke out of something...like an computer module. Would you like to have the 20a fuze of the CDM power feed be the only protection for whatever you tapped into for your ign sense? I wouldn't.

Last edited:

a417

U+0000
[edit after the time limit]
I'll be honest, the CDM radios were always a little bit wacky. Mobiles that did the low battery beep for no warning, occasionally one would lose a ground in the radio and it would ground thru the antenna causing all kinds of havoc, amnesia events when you'd power one on and find half the codeplug missing, IGN SENS circuits that would actually power on the radio if the vehicle battery voltage dropped too far when the vehicle was off, thus killing the battery faster, I even heard a story of one powering on a radio via just the ignition sense pin and ground - wouldn't transmit but it lit up...They're not a spectacularly great radio line, all things considered.

They worked, they're best suited for taxi cabs (yet they ended up in emergency service vehicles nationwide due to their price point), and most of the time the dealers were more inclined to just replace a funky one than they were to pop the chassis top and try to find out which component was causing the issue...for several hundred dollars a unit, it made sense. Who knows, maybe moto knew something and figured a 3a fuze would prevent catastrophe farther up the line? I'm kind of glad we're done with them.

and i apologize for completely digressing from the OP topic at hand of finding an ign sense circuit on a '12 Ram 1500. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.