• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2012 Toyota RAV4 Scanner Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkerl11

I have a Uniden BCD996P2 scanner and I would like to mount it in my 2012 RAV4. Any suggestions on where I could mount it? I would like to put it in the little cubby in the center console behind the cup holders but I don't think it fits. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I looked up pictures and about it not fitting in that cubby, you're probably right. However, you could mount it to the passenger side of the console using the mounting bracket or mount it in the armrest console and it would be out of sight with the top of that closed. Just a couple of ideas.

bharvey2

I purchased a 2017 RAV4 at the beginning of the year and installed a two way radio in it shortly thereafter. I believe their are some differences between the 2012 and the 2017 but I have to admit that the RAV4 is painfully shy of space to satisfy us radio folks. I managed to install a radio whose head can be mounted separate for the main deck. If your scanner can do that, you might have some success. One option may be to mount it behind the armrest between the two front seats. Depending upon your model , this may cover some features of the armrest to the rear passengers and may place it too far to reach. The only other suggestion would be to mount the entire radio on top of the dash. However, I'd be very hesitant to do so. It places the scanner in the sun which likely offers no environmental favors. Worse yet, it has the potential to become a missile in an accident (or may interfere with air bags) Having been in a couple of major vehicle accidents in my lifetime, I can say with experience that they aren't as fun as people let on. You sure don't want your head to be playing "pinball" with loose, hard or heavy items in a crash.

Parkerl11

I looked up pictures and about it not fitting in that cubby, you're probably right. However, you could mount it to the passenger side of the console using the mounting bracket or mount it in the armrest console and it would be out of sight with the top of that closed. Just a couple of ideas.
Thank you for the suggestion! Those two places you mentioned where also ideas I had. I think my best bet is to mount them on the passenger side of the console. I did attempt to fit the BCD996P2 in the little cubby with no avail. I tried to do so once again but this time I took the outer case of the scanner off. It did make it a little bit skinnier but still not enough to fit inside the cubby.

Parkerl11

I purchased a 2017 RAV4 at the beginning of the year and installed a two way radio in it shortly thereafter. I believe their are some differences between the 2012 and the 2017 but I have to admit that the RAV4 is painfully shy of space to satisfy us radio folks. I managed to install a radio whose head can be mounted separate for the main deck. If your scanner can do that, you might have some success. One option may be to mount it behind the armrest between the two front seats. Depending upon your model , this may cover some features of the armrest to the rear passengers and may place it too far to reach. The only other suggestion would be to mount the entire radio on top of the dash. However, I'd be very hesitant to do so. It places the scanner in the sun which likely offers no environmental favors. Worse yet, it has the potential to become a missile in an accident (or may interfere with air bags) Having been in a couple of major vehicle accidents in my lifetime, I can say with experience that they aren't as fun as people let on. You sure don't want your head to be playing "pinball" with loose, hard or heavy items in a crash.
The 2012 RAV4 was the last RAV4 with the design that it had. The newer design ran from 2013 to 2018. I can definitely affirm that the 2012 RAV4 has very little room to store stuff in. Obviously that remains true with the newer models if it's the same for the 2017 model. Anyway, I think I'm going to mount it on the passenger side of the center console. It makes the most sense for my use case. In my last car, I mounted it on the dash and I do agree with you, it probably wasn't the best idea. It was always in the sun and I could cook an egg on that thing. I had never thought of it until now, but you are absolutely right about it being a missile if I had ever gotten in an accident. I'm just glad I have never been in one. Thank you for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.