2013 Ford Fusion / RS Pro 160

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcr20

So - I had to sell my 2000 Explorer - where I had the scanner mounted on the end of an old cell phone goose neck.

I got a 2013 Fusion which has an odd cubby hole below the center stack - and I said to myself... "I wonder..."

Well, wonder no more!

(the cable you see in the side view is a usb phone charger, not related to the scanner)

The antenna is a black trunk lip low profile mount - right now its got a 460meg quarter wave on it - most of what i listen to is 800s though (Volusia County FL), so I may try a few other masts to see what works best.

Anyone have a black 800 meg NMO they want to donate to the cause?

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,711
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 2,719
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,859
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,690
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,698

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's really nice when you can easily do a low profile mount like that. I like radios, but I don't want them in my way. Looks like you found the perfect place.

Now if we can just talk you into drilling the hole for the antenna, I might just donate a black 800MHz whip to the cause.

yohshua

Nice install I like the low profile look and the scanner hides nicely in there.

wcr20

It's really nice when you can easily do a low profile mount like that. I like radios, but I don't want them in my way. Looks like you found the perfect place.

Now if we can just talk you into drilling the hole for the antenna, I might just donate a black 800MHz whip to the cause.

I'm considering it....

In my old days as an active 1st responder/EMT/Medic I wouldn't have hesitated - in fact my (purchased new) 1990 Suburban wasn't mine for 30 minutes before the headliner was down for 5 NMO holes plus another 2 holes for lighting.

I'm less prone to such outbursts now. ;-)

I might also consider a glass mount however.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I'm considering it....

In my old days as an active 1st responder/EMT/Medic I wouldn't have hesitated - in fact my (purchased new) 1990 Suburban wasn't mine for 30 minutes before the headliner was down for 5 NMO holes plus another 2 holes for lighting.

I'm less prone to such outbursts now. ;-)

I might also consider a glass mount however.

If it's working properly and well for you then it looks good and that's all that matters.

wcr20

Update: the heavy duty 'plastic velcro' from Radio Shack just didn't hold up to the FL heat. I ended up adding a couple of small brackets to support the radio

PACNWDude

I have that same mobile/desktop scanner myself and it does look nice as part of a console. It looks like it fits well and looks like it was not an afterthought to put in there.

In my experience, people look right over scanners and amateur radios a bit if they look like they are part of the car these days. And you get less questions while driving around with windows open too. No questions about, what is that thing there for? Or, what do you listen to with that?

Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.