2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
After having a 2011 Jeep Patriot for only about a year and a half, I found a good deal on a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 as the 2014 models were starting to hit the lots at the end of February. This was an especially good deal since the dealership bought out the rest of my lease. The Patriot was a really good and fun vehicle to drive, but I wanted something a little bigger with more power and modern amenities.

Main components:

Kenwood TM-D710A VHF/UHF mobile radio: Previously, I was using an Icom ID-800H radio for voice and a Motorola Radius VHF radio with the Argent Data OpenTracker USB for APRS. Space in the new vehicle is at a premium and the only reason I was using two separate radios were so I could have both D-STAR and APRS capability, so I decided to axe one. Well, D-STAR got the axe in the mobile and I stayed with APRS. The only logical solution was to use a D710 (which I had utilized in my Impala), and that radio gives me everything but D-STAR. I think it's a good trade-off, especially with the D710's control head and APRS functionality.

Uniden BCD996T digital scanner with RH96 control head: Used to monitor anything that's legal, including local, state, federal, military, FRS/GMRS, or commercial. Uniden stopped manufacturing the RH96 a few years ago. ScannerMaster bought out the remaining stock, and unfortunately the price for these units has really skyrocketed since I purchased this unit.

Argent Data Systems GM-1 GPS: This 5-volt GPS is split between the radio and the scanner, providing the location for APRS and to make use of the BCD996T's location-based scanning capability, locking and unlocking systems as I move around.

RAM POD I No-Drill Single Socket Mount with Diamond Base RAM-B-316-1-238U: There aren't a lot of mounting options for radios in the WK2, even for control heads. I am curious to see if the Dodge Durango radio consoles would fit the WK2 as some websites showed they were interchangeable, but I settled on using this RAM mount and AMPS-compatible diamond plate to mount the control heads. The control heads are actually attached to the RAM mount by stacking the control head OEM brackets together and then bolting those to the RAM diamond plate. It works out great because the control head faces turn out to be pretty flush with each other. The RAM mount can be sturdy, it just can't be too unbalanced otherwise it does wobble a little bit. It seems to do ok on city streets and rural roads with the weight that I have on it but I wouldn't put more weight on it than it already has. The malleable rod isn't actually very malleable, but it's bendable enough that you can make it go where you want to go. Don't go too crazy bending it otherwise you might spend a lot of time and energy trying to straighten it out (but it's good that it's rigid). I can't seem to get it balanced again after my passenger scooted the seat up too far and moved the rod. The only other issue that I had with the rod is that it tipped to the right every time I turned left. This was resolved by using a zip tie and a tie mount glued to the console trim. Not ideal, but it works. I didn't choose the "no-drill" mount option for any particular reason other than it's out of the way and I can still use slush mats in the winter. Not many complaints from passengers, but it's vulnerable to be bumped by passengers especially when pulling a drink out of the cup holders.

Everything is tied to the battery via a Havis ChargeGuard CG-X-100 on automatic detection mode. The ChargeGuard senses the AC ripple voltage produced by the alternator and then turns the equipment on when the voltage has stabilized. It also turns the equipment off after a specified amount of time after the AC ripple voltage has stopped. The length of time is determined by dip switches, which I have set to 15 minutes so there's enough time to squeeze out another APRS packet or listen to the radios without needing to idle. I put the ChargeGuard in the glove compartment for easy access. The ChargeGuard has an emergency button that will allow the equipment to be operated for an additional 15 minutes after the initial 15 minutes has expired.

For antennas, I'm using a Laird TRA7603 760-870 MHz Phantom antenna in white on the mounted using a Chevy Tahoe bracket on the driver's side fender connected to the scanner; Diamond NR72BNMO VHF/UHF antenna on the roof for the radio; and a Laird QWB430 430-450 MHz black quarter-wave antenna on the roof. The UHF antenna is currently just a placeholder in case I need to throw in an extra radio in the future and change the antenna (such as a 900 MHz ISM-band antenna for Motorola DTR radios that I use with non-licensed friends and family). I put the scanner antenna on the fender to avoid the problems I've had in the past with the radio overloading the scanner and eventually blowing out the front end. The Phantom antenna works well, but it's obviously not as good as the Laird B8065CN 806-866 MHz 5dB antenna I was previously using. The Diamond antenna works well for its size. I'm limited on antenna height as my work parking ramp has a clearance of 7'2" (if I'm remembering correctly). With the Diamond antenna, I have about two inches of clearance.

For speakers I am using two Motorola HSN4039 13-watt speakers, one for the radio and another for the scanner.

Some other notes... there are two cubbies below the front seats. The AGM battery is in the passenger's side cubby, but the driver's side cubby is empty. There is definitely not enough airflow in these cubbies to mount the transmitters, but the cubbie cover is convenient to mount the transmitters on. I was able to bolt all of my transmitters onto the cover, so if needed I can disconnect all of the cables and pull it out. A warning, though: the electric seats and seat warmers don't leave much clearance under there. There are pass-throughs in the firewall in the WK2, which I used to bring the coax for the fender antenna into the cabin as well as electric. I found them behind the pedals, and they're on both the driver's and passengers side. The roof stiffeners can make it a little difficult to mount antennas -- basically anywhere between the embossed stamps on the roof is ok to mount an antenna. The flat sections are where the roof stiffeners are. Also, in terms of RFI, I was dreading that I would have the same RFI issues that plagued the Durango, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

grandcherokee_install_rr_1.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_2_IMG_20130506_150212.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_3_IMG_20130506_150053.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_4_IMG_20130506_150541.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_5_IMG_20130506_150419.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_6_IMG_20130506_151044.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_7_IMG_20130506_151146.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_8_IMG_20130506_151333.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_9_DSCN2179.jpg

grandcherokee_install_rr_10_IMG_20130430_112309.jpg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Your installs are always neat and orderly AND the quality of your pictures are always superb, too. Very nice install and very nice JGC - I like the '13s and the new '14s, too!

LawlerJr

Why 2 separate charge guards?

Scratch that, same charge guard, 2 different photos.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Great install!

What kind of camera did you use to take the photos, and how many mega pixels does it have?

Hate to get off topic but the pictures look great!. Whatever camera you used takes great pictures. BTW the install is also fantastic :)

fdscan

Quality install... The pictures are awesome too, especially the first one of the car!

Just curious... Now, I've seen a lot of people using those mounts, RAM mounts, right? Whether it's for control heads, microphones, tablets, whatever. I'm just curious how firm and steady they are. Do they wobble at all when you press the buttons? Or are they pretty stiff?

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for their comments so far!

Great install!

What kind of camera did you use to take the photos, and how many mega pixels does it have?

Hate to get off topic but the pictures look great!. Whatever camera you used takes great pictures. BTW the install is also fantastic :)

The interior pictures were taken with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which is 5 megapixels. The exterior pictures were taken with a Nikon Coolpix P3 which is 8.1 megapixels.

Nice Installation :) but will it interfere with the Air Bags. If some one Rides in the Passenger Seat.?

Nope, the radios are more over the center console and are outside of the air bag deployment zone.

Quality install... The pictures are awesome too, especially the first one of the car!

Just curious... Now, I've seen a lot of people using those mounts, RAM mounts, right? Whether it's for control heads, microphones, tablets, whatever. I'm just curious how firm and steady they are. Do they wobble at all when you press the buttons? Or are they pretty stiff?

It wobbles a little bit, but not bad. The only issue I had was that it would tip to the right when turning left, but that was resolved with a zip tie and tie mount glued to the center console trim. It only gets wobbly when it's off-balanced. I definitely wouldn't put any more weight on it than I already have.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Thanks newsphotog for sharing the photos with us. A very clean and professional installation and the pics were excellent also.

Russell

bear780ks

Nope, the radios are more over the center console and are outside of the air bag deployment zone.

That's Great news.. because them Airbags can be Dangerous if something is in there Path kind of like today In Moore OK, if you or your stuff is in the Path of that big black Fury it's going to reach out and hurt ya.:(

Drachen_Fire

I like this a lot. I was thinking of doing the exact same type of install, except with a Uniden BCT15X with the same remote head, and a Kenwood TK8180 UHF with the KRK10 kit instead of the dual-band.

ts548

What mount did you use for the D710? I'm fixing to mount the headunit in my truck and need to mount it to the window. So I'm trying to find the ram mount that accepts the D710 head.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I'd like to see a side shot similar to the first picture but from the driver's side to see that fender mounted low profile antenna along with the others.

As I said before...this install looks great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.