2014 F-150 Uniden HomePatrol-2 Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojobreakfast

Hey all. I thought I would share a couple of pics of my HomePatrol-2 install in my 2014 F-150. I'm sorry I didn't take pictures as I went along, so I only have pics of the final product.

I was able to do this with no modifications to the truck other than to cut a slice in a grommet on the firewall to pass the antenna coax through (accessible behind passenger glove box). The HP2 is powered via USB cable to a USB power unit plugged into a cigarette lighter socket ad-on that I bolted behind the glove box. The cigarette ligher socket is powered in turn by a Littlefuse add-a-circuit thingy that I plugged into the fuse panel (also on the passenger side, under the glove box on the F-150).

The antenna is a Comet NMO base with a Comet 2m/440 whip. Not totally ideal for scanning but does the job for right now.

The HP2 itself is attached to the dash with the Uniden mobile mount bracket and a ProClip mount that attaches into the dash pocket on the Ford. It works well and is very sturdy. I also have the Uniden GPS receiver attached to the HP2; the receiver cable is tucked under various trim bits and the receiver itself is on the corner of the dash with some double-sided tape. I cut the cigarette lighter adapter off of the Uniden GPS kit, and soldered on a USB cable directly, so that it could be powered off of the same USB power block that the scanner itself is powered off of.

Pretty happy with this setup so far. The HP2 has some shortcomings as a mobile receiver, simple things that I think Uniden could fix to make it more friendly in this environment. Probably the biggest in my mind would be to automatically power on when USB power appears (e.g. turning the ignition key).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• DSCF1537.JPG
    DSCF1537.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 6,970
  • DSCF1534.JPG
    DSCF1534.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 5,606
  • DSCF1539.JPG
    DSCF1539.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 6,118
Last edited:

Otto

Nice. I also use a HP2 in my work truck. I did find that the audio on the unit a bit low when on the road. My solution was to send the line out Jack into the aux. audio jack on the factory stereo system. Now I can really hear the HP2 well while truckin down the road. Only bad thing is you can only listen to the scanner or the FM radio one at a time.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
They want to know where the truck gets parked. Someone may need a new scanner. LOL Just kidding.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The great thing about the HP-1 / HP-2 is when leaving your vehicle you can easily pop it out and stick it in your pocket.

How easy is it to view and tap at that location? I have mine mounted on top of the dash where I can just shift my eyes and easily operate it by slightly reaching forward with my right arm.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You are making it hard not to send away for more Proclip mounts for my '13 Raptor. :D Nice install.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I'm an old guy, but used to be that you did not want to have your consumer-grade communications gear and scanners powered on by the ignition switch due to the surge currents that occur during the starting of a vehicle. Have modern ignition systems rendered that advice passe´ or is there a still a concern for surges when you turn the key? FYI - I've never damaged a scanner or any of my ham gear that way.... but I usually turn them on manually after the vehicle is running.

mojobreakfast

How easy is it to view and tap at that location? I have mine mounted on top of the dash where I can just shift my eyes and easily operate it by slightly reaching forward with my right arm.

The photos dont't really show it too well, but the ProClip angles the scanner towards the driver. It's easily within reach. As for looking at the unit, well yes, you do have to glance away from the road a bit. For me, I don't like the idea of it being too much at eye level as I would find it far more distracting. I really don't look at it too much, as I am using a fairly small custom favorites list and I generally recognize what I hear.

mojobreakfast

I'm an old guy, but used to be that you did not want to have your consumer-grade communications gear and scanners powered on by the ignition switch due to the surge currents that occur during the starting of a vehicle. Have modern ignition systems rendered that advice passe´ or is there a still a concern for surges when you turn the key? FYI - I've never damaged a scanner or any of my ham gear that way.... but I usually turn them on manually after the vehicle is running.

I can't really imagine this is much of an issue. When you think about it, this truck already has a fairly complex radio system, with a computer (Microsoft Sync) and all kinds of fairly complicated control modules, all of which receive power at ignition. I wouldn't ever really worry about it.

Eng74

My 2004 F-150 XLT SuperCrew just got totaled in the parking lot while I was working. A car came across two lanes of traffic over the curb and sidewalk hit the passenger side and moved it 45 degrees from where I had parked it. This happened on April 2nd. On April 7th I found a 2015 SuperCrew XLT with Spot Package that was on the train to California and was going to my dealership where I had got my 04. I had been running a 996XT and PSR 500 in my 04 but will have the 40/console/40 in the 15 so I might be going to the HP2 because of room. Have to wait until the truck gets to me to see what I want to do.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
How did you mount the Uniden HP holder to the pro clip? Is it like the pro clip cell phone holders that slide in from the top?

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nice. I also use a HP2 in my work truck. I did find that the audio on the unit a bit low when on the road. My solution was to send the line out Jack into the aux. audio jack on the factory stereo system. Now I can really hear the HP2 well while truckin down the road. Only bad thing is you can only listen to the scanner or the FM radio one at a time.

Which is why I hesitate to do that. I like to listen to the talk radio and the XM for music. But I heard that routing it through the AUX jack works fairly well.

KB6KGX

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

I have my FT-7900 wired directly to the battery, as I did with my previous TM-741. Never had a problem. The guys at HRO told me that the new cars don’t have that old issue with the power surge that cars used to have. I remember being told to turn the car on first and THEN the radio, and later, turn the radio off and then the car, because there could be a power spike both ways. Apparently, not anymore.

dmg1969

Which is why I hesitate to do that. I like to listen to the talk radio and the XM for music. But I heard that routing it through the AUX jack works fairly well.

I route my HP-1 audio through my vehicle's radio system from time to time (when driving with windows down) and it works out great. With windows up, I find the audio to be sufficient.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've seen a lot of those clamp/lip mount antenna mounts scratch/rub the paint down to bare metal over the course of a year or two.

Like the interior mount.

TPittman

Need Help With HP2 Mobile Installation

I bought a HP2 about 8 months ago. I use it in my house but recently decided I may want to have it installed in my vehicle. I will call the dealer to see about everything I will need to a mobile install. I live in the Charlotte NC area and am looking to find a business or reputable/dealer or person who is experienced in installing these units for a reasonable price. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.