2014 Fire Buff Convention Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

sffire

Premium Subscriber
I will be headed to Dallas in a couple of weeks to attended the fire buff convention. I hope to listen to fire radio traffic while I am there. Do I need to brin my Uniden 396XT or my 346XT? What cities can I heard from Dallas?

Thank you for your help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I will be headed to Dallas in a couple of weeks to attended the fire buff convention. I hope to listen to fire radio traffic while I am there. Do I need to brin my Uniden 396XT or my 346XT? What cities can I heard from Dallas?

Thank you for your help.
Depending on where you are staying, either scanner wold bring in the bulk of the activity.

Dallas Fire Rescue is on analog Uhf. Of the major suburban systems, Plano (PAWM), Grand Prairie, Richardson, and Northeast Tarrant (includes Grapevine) are digital. All the others in the immediate Dallas area are either conventional analog, or on analog trunked systems. Irving is currently on an EDACS analog system, but is testing their new Phase II P25 system. Still using the EDACS for now.

Dallas Fire active incidents can be found here:
Dallas Fire-Rescue Active Incidents
or
Dallas Fire Rescue Working Incidents
or City of Dallas: Dallas Fire-Rescue Department

Many of the Tarrant County cities, including Fort Worth, have migrated to the P25 FWRRS, but unless you're on an upper floor, or in a mid-cities hotel, that could be out of range. (Northeast Tarrant is actually a 'layer on the FWRRS system, but I program it as a separate system as a personal preference.) Some of the Ellis County suburbs (that's the county just south of Dallas County) use conventional P25 fir their PD & FD. Again, depending on your location, the antenna your using, etc, you might, or might not, hear them.

If you want a DFW area FreeSCAN file, shoot me a pm with your email address. Also, tell me your hotel, which would give me a better idea of what you could hear.

sffire

Premium Subscriber
The convention hotel is at:
OUBLETREE by HILTON DALLAS
CAMPBELL CENTRE

8250 N. Central Expressway, Dallas, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.