• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2014 Ford Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any ideas? I had my 536 on the dashboard in the 2007 Escape. Looking at this one the windshield seems more slanted and might not work as well. Antenna mounting is easy, rear liftgate. Scanner mounting PITA LOL.

KC2PXV

Bumping this thread to find out if you ever made a decision. I had a BCT-15 with the remote head. scanner under passenger seat secret compartment and remote head along the passenger seat facing driver.

NOW.. I have purchased a BCD536HP and have no idea where to put this monster. I really miss the remote head. Like a lot. Any ideas?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I have purchased a BCD536HP and have no idea where to put this monster. I really miss the remote head. Like a lot. Any ideas?

With the recently released Siren App, you can use an iPhone to act as a remote head. Uniden is working on an Android app for this type of smart phone operating system.

That would allow you to mount the scanner most anywhere you can find room. I have the scanner mounted in a console. I'm using an old iPhone as the remote head. Pretty happy with it, but like any new app, there are some bugs to work through, which Uniden is.

Photo of what I have is below, with apologies for it being turned.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
FWIW I bought, from a truck stop, a ~$1 cup holder that hangs from either a dash air vent or the door of my 2006 Escape. Just pick up the scanner when leaving the car in a public place; nothing to see by curious eyes.

KC2PXV

FWIW I bought, from a truck stop, a ~$1 cup holder that hangs from either a dash air vent or the door of my 2006 Escape. Just pick up the scanner when leaving the car in a public place; nothing to see by curious eyes.

Thanks for the idea, however this is not a handheld scanner. It is a base station that has plenty of wires out the back for external speaker, antenna, etc.

KC2PXV

With the recently released Siren App, you can use an iPhone to act as a remote head. Uniden is working on an Android app for this type of smart phone operating system.

That would allow you to mount the scanner most anywhere you can find room. I have the scanner mounted in a console. I'm using an old iPhone as the remote head. Pretty happy with it, but like any new app, there are some bugs to work through, which Uniden is.

Photo of what I have is below, with apologies for it being turned.

Love the advice, thank you very very much. I didn't realize the Uniden app was out yet. Does it require me to have a wifi connection while driving though?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
No. When in Access Point, the dongle for the scanner creates its own wifi signal, which is received by the iPhone.

It is good for around ten feet of the vehicle.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I did make a choice. I bought the Home Patrol 2 and mounted it on the windshield. It actually has enough oomph in volume that i haven't needed an external speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.