2014 Ford Explorer LTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksroberson

This was a very slow process, not everything was put in at once. The switches went in first (for emergency lights) followed by the MCS2000 800mhz. The NMO trunk mount from my previous vehicle I used on the hood as seen in the pictures For the MCS. The radio in the center console is one of those Chinese knockoffs with the UV-5R firmware. Surprisingly it works okay, and it fits great in the console which I can close and you should have no idea it’s there. I had been running it off a mag mount since I got it. Just yesterday i got enough courage to drill a hole in the roof and installed the Roof NMO mount. I got my explorer from my dad—unfortunately it has DUAL sunroofs! So not much antenna space and more rattles!! As you can see in the roof antenna picture, you can definitely see where the mag mount was for so long. But I might add more NMO mounts behind and to the left and right of the center one. We will see...let me know what you think, I will let you know if I update anything!
05334875186edbbd663f0b113cc0271f.jpg
9cef259ab3f1a3afc5c8f7b4dd63a473.jpg
caf7e79c40df5eca1734ffe22532c5e6.jpg
b62d567e3f2e7521fb31c2cfee179d86.jpg
5fd665d2ed9b88b1bc66bfac98ca184b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marksroberson

You did an awesome job. What is the HT used for?

The HT is pretty much identical to the MCS in the car, programming wise, it’s a MTS2000, programmed up for the county’s trunked system, just like the MCS2000, I just threw it in there for the photo. It’s my chosen everyday carry radio when I am in the county and want to listen to public safety.

RodStrong

Thanks for the pic I requested. Looks great. What kind of mount is the open coil on the hood, and are there any clearance issues when the hood is open?

Thanks again.

marksroberson

Thanks for the pic I requested. Looks great. What kind of mount is the open coil on the hood, and are there any clearance issues when the hood is open?

Thanks again.

The mount on the hood is a NMO trunk Lip Mount I took off of my previous vehicle, I have no clearance issues with it, as long as the antenna is not too long, I did bend the antenna a little so it would point straight up (just so it looked better) and even then I had no problem with it hitting the glass.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Did you put any kind of backing plate under the roof antenna? I found the roof panels to be very thin, in the order of an aluminum can, so I put a 1900 box cover on the inside to stiffen up the roof on the 3 antenna's I installed so if the antenna gets hit it woun't tear a hole in the roof.

marksroberson

Did you put any kind of backing plate under the roof antenna? I found the roof panels to be very thin, in the order of an aluminum can, so I put a 1900 box cover on the inside to stiffen up the roof on the 3 antenna's I installed so if the antenna gets hit it woun't tear a hole in the roof.

No, I haven’t put anything up there to support it yet, you said you installed three antennas, I assume you have the same or similar car, may I ask where you installed them? I agree though, I wasn’t expecting to be done installing the antenna so fast, it really is thin metal up there

radioman2001

I have the 2015 PD version that was built for admin, same color as yours black with black cordura interior, full carpeting with a black grill ( nice car ). I was able to get due to a screwup by the dealer, but that's another story for some other time. It has the center console but no shift lever. There are a total of 4 antenna's on the roof including the AM/FM antenna, so I took the total roof dimension from edge of windshield to edge of roof line by hatch and divided it.
I don't know if civilian Explorers has this, but the entire inside headliner was attached with magnets. Dropped the roof liner and after drilling the 3 holes and putting the backing plates ran all the coax down the passenger "B" pillar. Radios are mounted under both the drivers and passenger seat mounted to the roll cage frame that supports the seat. There is also room in the compartment behind the rear seat where I put a vehicle repeater.
I built a custom cable setup that takes 3 radios one for each band VHF,UHF and 7/800 using XTL5000 and Astro Spectra's and runs them through one control head.

radioman2001

The vehicle came with the power outlet option, so it has a 50 amp breaker in the passenger rear side panel behind the rear seat. I only really use one radio at a time (110w radios) so 50amp is plenty of power, I had to tap the IGN source from the AM/FM radio feed fuse which I ran to a relay so the radios went on off with key and or delayed ACCY.
I didn't have to run any power or antenna cabling to under the hood, and if I remember correctly the up-fitter guide states (for vehicles W/O the power option) to run wires out a grommet on the passenger side kick panel, and then behind the plastic inner fender. I have had to do that on both my 2005 500 (many years ago) and 2013 Taurus which were all bought new, and never had a problem. The easiest thing to do was pull the inner fender off (6 screws and some pop offs) and then run the wires using wire loom to protect them from chaffing behind the inner fender. Then run them across the frame support in wire loom to the battery.
I have to redo the 2013 which had an Astro Spectra W-3 HHCH (total undercover install for when my wife used the car) as my son now uses the car and he needs a Astro Spectra W-9 installed for our FD. Going to be interesting to find a spot for the W-9.

marksroberson

How did you run the coax from the hood? And the power wire into the cab? Looking to upfit our 2018 XLT.

I will take pictures when I get a chance, I found some YouTube videos showing some clever ways to run it, I will see if I can find them

clanusb

That would be great! Thank you!
The only upfitter guide I have found is for the Police package, and unfortunately this XLT did not come with the accessory inverter and power besides the standard 12v sockets front middle and rear. I don’t want to power the radio from those.

radioman2001

Your best bet is to run the power wires as I have described through the passenger kick panel.

I have a W-9 from another vehicle that why I am using it. On the 2005 I removed the stock radio and used a 2 din radio and a W-4. No chance of that in the 2013, all integrated with GPS, enviromental controls etc.

radioman2001

Nice, but since you are very close to the ground going through there, and subject to rocks, and dirt being kicked up. I would use some wire loom to protect your cabling. If I get to reinstall my sons radio this weekend, I will take some pictures of the cabling.

Oh also I will look for my original install pictures from my 2015 Explorer PI

Status
Not open for further replies.