2014 GMC Sierra 1500 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premium Subscriber
Just got a new 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 and decided to install my Kenwood TK5710 mobile radio. I have had this radio for a few years now and love it. Easy to program and installation isn't bad, just takes a bit of time if you want it done neatly.

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 11,041
  • truck2..jpg
    truck2..jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 10,392
  • truck3..jpg
    truck3..jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 10,039
  • truck4.jpg
    truck4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9,899
  • truck5..jpg
    truck5..jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 9,864

Premium Subscriber
VHF NMO mount antenna

Attachments

• truck6......jpg
    truck6......jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 9,977
  • truck7.jpg
    truck7.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 10,511
  • truck8.jpg
    truck8.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 9,933
  • truck9.......jpg
    truck9.......jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 9,711
  • truck10...jpg
    truck10...jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 9,619

Premium Subscriber
I used the Vertical StreetThunder XC300 from Galls to hold the remote head for my radio rather than screwing into the dash. I had to modify it and bend the base inward to work how I wanted. I then drilled threw the carpet and into the floor to attach the console. I ran the wires from the remote head under the floor and installed the base behind the back seat so it would be out of sight and out of the way. The hardest part of the install was getting the wires through the firewall. I ended up taking an old whip antenna and sliding it from inside the hood into the firewall which came out under the dash. I then duck taped my wiring to that and was able to pull it back through quiet easily.

KD0LDK

Nice setup! Not to be a debbie downer, just be weary of how close those antennas are - it may be ok, but I learned the hard way with an older scanner of mine. Over the course of a year or two I essentially made the VHF side of if deaf, about all it's good for now is 800.

Premium Subscriber
Thanks @KD0LDK! And that's good to know, the front antenna is for a Wilson cell phone booster, not sure if that matters or not since it's rarely turned on, but if it starts to interfere I will have to do some rearranging!

sirsmiley

I think he was thinking that the other antenna was for scanner. You have to be careful and I like to have at least a foot separation between a scanner and an another radio. You can desense the scanner by transmitting too high of a power/too close. You can also permanently fry the receiver even from a 5W handheld radio if youre close enough to a scanner. If youre operating at anything over 25W then id move the antennas as far apart as I could. Maybe even put an attenuator or filter on your scanner antenna feed.

Last edited:

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Should it be okay where its a cell phone booster and not another radio, or should I make sure the booster is turned off before transmitting on the radio?

sirsmiley

i dont think your cell phone booster would be affected. Frequency range is pretty different and its not directly connected to your cell phone just inside the general area of the cab...shouldnt be an issue.... Ideally they would be separated by about 2 feet though especially at 75W. I normally dont run mobile radios (rated for 60W) higher than 40W to prevent wear and tear.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Comment on the antenna spacing.

There are two issues here you need to consider:
1. The VHF antenna will be pumping out 50 watts of VHF within inches of the cellular antenna. Some of that 50 watts will get into the Wilson preamplifier on the receive side. It isn't designed to handle that. It's designed for weak cellular signals. Likely/eventually the high level of VHF RF is going to toast the Wilson box. It won't matter if it's turned off or not, the power does't disconnect the antenna from the amplifier.

2. having another antenna that close to the VHF antenna is going to detune it. It's going to thrown the resonate frequency off.

Personally, you need more separation between the antennas.

Here is what I'd do in this case. Your choice, it's your gear:
Install a new NMO mount farther forward. I'd go at least 20 inches or so. Try to shoot for the center of the cab.
Mount your VHF antenna on the new NMO mount. This will do a couple of things. It will give it a better ground plane. Ideally you want a 1/4 wave all around for ground plane dependent antennas. It will move the antenna away from the cellular antenna, preventing detuning. It will also provide enough separation between the two to reduce the chances of the Wilson amp getting overloaded and damaged.

Put a rain cap over the unused mount.

Premium Subscriber
Thanks @mmckenna, I bought another NMO mount tonight and will reposition the VHF antenna this week. I do not want to mess up my Wilson amplifier. I think the whip antenna that was on my last truck worked better anyway.

@davidjacobs2012 I used the Vertical Street Thunder XC300 from galls.
Galls Vertical StreetThunder XC300 at Galls

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, nice looking truck, sorry I didn't say that in my above post. I like the interiors on those.

Other than the spacing issue, the antenna install looks great. I'm happy to see it when someone takes the antenna part of the radio hobby seriously, rather than some afterthought. Magnets belong on refrigerators, not antennas. With a nice radio like that, it deserves a good antenna install.

We've got a bunch of 5710's being installed for our police department starting tomorrow. Same control head, VHF, but the 100 watt version (turned down to 75 watts). They look like nice radios.

Premium Subscriber
I think you will be happy with the 5710's, I have no complaints about mine. The last three vehicles I have had all had the NMO mount antenna's on them.

I use my Wilson booster quiet often as well, living in rural Maine it's definitely needed!

I think he was thinking that the other antenna was for scanner. You have to be careful and I like to have at least a foot separation between a scanner and an another radio. You can desense the scanner by transmitting too high of a power/too close. You can also permanently fry the receiver even from a 5W handheld radio if youre close enough to a scanner. If youre operating at anything over 25W then id move the antennas as far apart as I could. Maybe even put an attenuator or filter on your scanner antenna feed.

I talk on my frs radio and it frys when I talk but my radio never went out. I get weird inference on my scanner from near by radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.