2015 Command Center (Shack) Remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDCScanner

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
First off I apologize for the bad pics. I took them with my iPhone. I will get better ones with my actual camera as time goes on.

This is some quick pics of the remodel for 2015 command center (Shack) project I am currently in progress with. This is not near completed but wanted to share some pics of the how things are at present time to document the progress as time goes on.

So to start, the radio console is custom built from MDF and then wrapped in the carpet that you use to wrap speaker boxes. It is designed in an L and is mounted to the wall as a floating cabinet in a corner to flow with L shaped desk. In the front is the scanners. Top row is 4 996XT and on the bottom 4 536HP (Only one 536HP is pictured at the moment). Below the radio console near the wall is LED strips mounted for backlighting. The radios are connect via null modem cables from the back GPS port to a 8 port RS232 hub that is then connected to my PC via USB for virtual control and programming which is hidden inside the radio console. Also two external MAYA44+ USB external sound cards are housed inside for audio connection. Each card is 4 ports. One for the 4 996XTs and one for the 536HPs. They are connected to the PC via USB. Actually the there is a USB hub inside there that the sound cards and serial port hub connect to and then one single USB runs to the PC in wall. The scanners are controlled via ProScan for virtual control, streaming, programing and archiving. The radios go into the sound card line in and the line out goes to a 12 ch Mackie mixer for centralized audio control for monitoring.

In the middle is an iPad that is mounted with a custom flush mount that is connected to my iMac to keep it charged and updated. I can also use that iPad as a external monitor through AirDisplay between my Macs and my PCs. In total there is 6 24" LED HD monitors connected to a 6 port mini display video card and 2 23" LED monitors. Only 5 monitors on pictured at the moment. Waiting on custom cables and mounts to arrive.

On the right side where the lamp is currently sitting will be another panel to house my Davis weather station console recessed to the left of the lamp and where the lamp is will be my 3 2M/440 units. 2 Kenwood TM-VD710A, one for EchoLink and APRS and one for General Purpose and the third unit is a ICOM ID-5100A for General Purpose.

This is all being controlled via 2 custom built PCs one for my scanners and general browsing and one for my weather station and weather programs both running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with i7-960 Processor 3.20 Ghz and 16GB of ram 2 1TB SSD and 1 500GB WD Red HD in each machine and all is water cooled in fractal chassis. Also have a custom built 20TB water cooled NAS in a Fractal Node 840 cube case running FreeNAS in Raid 5. Only about 10TB is usable. This is for stream archives, general file storage and for my music and moves for my Dune media server. That is why it is so big. A 4TB Buffalo LinkStation is used for machine backups via Acronis. There is a dedicated HP ProDesk i5 for my Ham gear and another HP ProDesk i3 for my network security appliance running Untangled for WAN Balancing and failover which is behind a Jupier netscreen for controlling the entire network which is tied together with a HP ProCurve switch. Apple AirPor Extreme running as a Access Point for Wifi. Another computers is a 21.5" 2014 iMac and a 2014 15" MacBook Pro. Then there is three other laptops as well not pictured for mobile purposes. I control all the machines across the 8 monitors via terminal services and each machine has dedicated monitors or I can move them around. This allows me to control all of it from a single point across multiple monitors so I don't have to use multiple KVMs.

Handhelds not pictured are 396XT and 436HP and HT ID-51A. Antennas are ST-2 for the scanners through a 8 port coupler and 3 comets for the 2M/440 on a 60' truss tower which also houses the weather station and IP cams. Two APC UPS for battery Backup. Solar panels are being installed which will run the UPS in event of power outage before it actually goes to battery backup from the units itself. There are some other toys which I will go into detail as I finish out the remodel. I think that about covers a general run down of the setup. Kids activities and out of state for work have kept me busy in getting it all finished out as I am building some other custom racks to house other things which I hope to have it all finished by the end of the year. I will post some more pics as it all comes together.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Wow, looks good! I look forward to seeing the other pictures when you can get some taken with a better camera in better lighting - interested in checking this setup out!

xrorx

Premium Subscriber
Get some LED rope lighting behind the monitors for backlighting. It would really finish the look off.

EDCScanner

Banned
Get some LED rope lighting behind the monitors for backlighting. It would really finish the look off.

At the back of the bottom of the radio console I do have LED strips and those illuminate behind the bottom monitors. You can't see them very well in the pics with the lights on. I do plan on adding some more for the monitors above the console as well. Just haven't gotten around to adding them yet but, yes it would finish it off nicely. The ones I use I get from Affordable LED Lighting Kits - LED Bar Lighting and they are very nice strips and I use them in various other applications around the house.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The "night" or dark shots look cool but I think the "daylight" photos will help show how things are setup, positioned, etc. This is more in response to the "I got vertigo" comment than the OP's post. I understand what he means about the vertigo - I personally don't think I could run that wallpaper! - but I'm not one to be picky on things like that since it's not my setup. :D I know I personally couldn't handle that wallpaper for very long but it does look cool spanned across those screens!

EDCScanner

Banned
I know what you mean. My daughter has my good camera right now. I was trying to take the best I could with my phone and still show the LED accents which was difficult with the lighting I was working with. I will get some betters ones when I get my camera back. In the pictures the wallpaper looks more extreme than it does in person. If I am not sitting at the desk the monitors are usually off and if they aren't then I have something open so I rarely see just the desktop. It was the only one that I could find at the time that looked good spanned across all three like that. I use a program called DisplayFusion to control certain functions and aspect of the monitors and that was the only one they had I liked. Need to find some others.

EDCScanner

Banned
I love my iPhone so I couldn't see getting a new phone just for the camera. I have a Samsung Galaxy camera which despite being Android takes some amazing pictures.

@topgun1986 I mainly monitor the public safety systems in the area on my scanners. Some radios are dedicated to certain agencies while other smaller ones can be combined on other radios. Also monitor the Skywarn nets during severe weather from the different areas as well. The hams are just for local communication during Skywarn nets or for simplex use for general communication with others when the repeater is closed to general traffic. It allows me to still monitor multiple nets while not sacrificing simplex. My HF rig is the Icom IC-7800 that is not pictured. I am still trying to decide where I can put it with this new layout. The deeper I get in to things the more things get changed and re done.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I know what you mean. My daughter has my good camera right now. I was trying to take the best I could with my phone and still show the LED accents which was difficult with the lighting I was working with. I will get some betters ones when I get my camera back. In the pictures the wallpaper looks more extreme than it does in person. If I am not sitting at the desk the monitors are usually off and if they aren't then I have something open so I rarely see just the desktop. It was the only one that I could find at the time that looked good spanned across all three like that. I use a program called DisplayFusion to control certain functions and aspect of the monitors and that was the only one they had I liked. Need to find some others.

Yes, DisplayFusion is a great program for anyone with more than one display connected to a computer!

We'll look forward to the other pictures whenever you're able to get them.

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
Nice setup!
I am interested in the panel with the radios monunted. Would like to see some good pics of that if ya can get some. I am actually trying to put something toghether thats similar.

SCPD

QRT
hey

Alrighty then you have a Galaxy,thats a good camera in that.
Where's you get the computer wallpaper?

QDP2012

Nice setup!
I am interested in the panel with the radios monunted. Would like to see some good pics of that if ya can get some. I am actually trying to put something toghether thats similar.

Alrighty then you have a Galaxy,thats a good camera in that.
Where's you get the computer wallpaper?

Please notice that the OP probably will not be able to reply to your posts, since the OP is: "Banned for duplicate accounts".

Hope this helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.