• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2015 Explorer Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertpearsall

Premium Subscriber
After doing 100's of installs on many vehicles, I can't do my own. I am trying to install an XTS 2500 into my 2015 Ford Explorer and I can't get through the firewall. Is it possible to pull battery power from key switch battery? If not does anyone know where to get battery power from?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Are you installing an XTS-2500 or an XTL-2500?

If it's an XTS and you just need to connect a charger or battery eliminator, use the cigarette lighter plug, or find another easy source of 12 volts inside. Sometimes you can find wiring bundled up for accessories you don't have on your vehicle. Pop in a fuse and reuse the circuit.

If it's an XTL-2500, then you can often follow existing wiring. Start from the engine bay side and look for a large wiring harness running through the firewall near the brake master cylinder. On the last bunch of Ford and Chevy's I've installed in, there's a nipple on there than can be cut off and it's a pass through for after market wiring. I've run as large as one #6 conductor through those, so the power cord for the XTL should fit just fine.

robertpearsall

Premium Subscriber
Sorry guys it is a XTL2500 looks like I am going trough floor thanks for the help once It is complete will upload photos.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sorry guys it is a XTL2500 looks like I am going trough floor thanks for the help once It is complete will upload photos.

Don't go through the floor. There's no reason to do that, and running your cable under the vehicle isn't the best option.
Look for those large grommets where the existing wiring harnesses run through the firewall. There will be one near the master cylinder and probably one on the passenger side, also. Look for the little raised nub on it. Cut that off and you'll be able to feed your wiring through.

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
You can also use one of the unused hot connectors in the fuse block under the dash. Just get the proper size fused tap with a pigtale and run your hot lead off of it. Run your ground to a metal section of the firewall. I’ve done this with my GMRS, XPS and APX mobiles without any problems. Check the unused fuseblock connectors for rating at 15 or 20 amps, so be sure to pick the one rated higher than you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.