• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2015 Explorer vhf antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

njemt7212

Looking to install a Motorola VHF 136-174 mhz mobile radio except my vehicle is a lease vehicle which means no drilling the roof. Does any one recommend a hood mount antenna ? or should I just go with a glass mount style antenna ?

n5ims

Looking to install a Motorola VHF 136-174 mhz mobile radio except my vehicle is a lease vehicle which means no drilling the roof. Does any one recommend a hood mount antenna ? or should I just go with a glass mount style antenna ?

Don't just assume that a properly installed antenna mount will affect a lease. Chances are good that if done correctly (read professionally installed) there should be no issues. There are several threads on this topic and very few have stated problems and many state no issues at all when the vehicle is turned back in. Often a broadcast outlet (AM/FM/TV) lease their vans and cut 6" or 8" holes in the roof for those pneumatic towers to send the remote signals back to the studio. Don't think that a mag mount will be problem free either. Often the scratches from the mount and/or coax sliding around in the wind will cause damage that will be noticed much more than a properly installed NMO mount.

Read through the linked threads on this topic to find some good answers to your question.

http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...rum/216939-drilling-holes-leased-vehicle.html
http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...on-forum/268788-drilling-into-nicer-cars.html
http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...s/97748-non-drill-trunk-mount-where-look.html
Batboard • View topic - questions about low profile antennas

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd use an on-glass antenna only if I had no other options.

You might try doing a search for "vehicle specific NMO antenna mounts". These will attach to a bolt on a front fender. I use two of these on my pickup truck - one scanner, the other amateur radio.

I looked at the Antenna Farm site and nothing was listed for Ford Explorers. They may know of something that would work - a call to them might be helpful.

https://www.theantennafarm.com/cata...t-mounts-268/nmo-vehicle-specific-mounts-297/

If you are "crafty" with metal work, you might be able to make your own.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Glass mount on VHF is going to be about 38 - 42 inches long. When I've seen cars with these on them, they always look like crap (personal opinion). With the metal film in a lot of tinted glass, mounting them can be a real issue, too.

I've installed at lot of permanent NMO mounts on leased vehicles, never once had an issue when I turned them in. The dealers that accept them back very often send them out to clearing houses, and they really don't care what they look like. An NMO mount with a cap on it, or a plug installed in the vacated hole, is going to draw a lot less attention than you'd think.

Fender mounts work well, but can cause funky radiation patterns due to the offset ground plane. They'll work for what you need. Vehicle specific mounts (as mentioned above) can make things a lot easier.

Mag mounts just look amateurish, and often the coaxial cable gets damaged where it gets run through doors, windows, etc. Magnets belong on refrigerators, not antennas.

The Chief here at work has a Ford Escape with the AM/FM radio used as the VHF antenna. Not ideal, but looks a lot better than some hack job. Combiners are available to allow use of the AM/FM as well as the VHF.

Personally, I'd say do a professionally installed NMO permanent mount, it'll work better, look better, and save a lot of headaches. When the lease is up, either leave the mount there with a rain cap on it, or pull it out and put a plug in. You'll find the guys taking the lease back won't bother to climb up and look on the roof.

wd9cms

You could also replace the existing antenna with a covert antenna like this one:

4 Band Disguised Ford Covert VHF UHF 800 GPS Antenna Fusion Explorer Police Apx | eBay

from disguisedantennas.com. This is a multi-band antenna, I would call them and find out if they make a single band version.

When your ready to turn the Explorer in you can either switch back to the standard antenna or leave it in place no drilling required. Its expensive but will work well and you do not have to worry about extra holes in the truck.

Bill

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator

njemt7212

I'm leaning towards the fender mount, however the new thing that concerns me in looking at it, is the space available to run the wire...I feel like the hood would pinch it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It shouldn't. I was kind of worried about the same thing, but found there was ample room. You can verify this before you buy something by seeing if a piece of coax fits.

While the Police Interceptor version of the Explorer may well be the exact thing that you have, I'd contact the vendor to be sure.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2014 limited. i ran a pancake mount/nmo mount magnetic antenna and sat it just to the side of
the rooftop am/fm/satellite antenna near the trunk. i placed the magnet right near the hinge by the rear
liftgate, so you can't really see the coax. i fed it through the hinge, down the raingutter (where the rear
hatch pistons sit), pulled the plastic side paneling inside, and ran the coax under the carpet and under the front passenger seat, then up behind the glovebox (but you could terminate the coax wherever you want... i am using it with a pro-clip dash mount clip for a bc396t scanner). it is a temporary install that
is easily removed. pm me if you want to see pix.

Status
Not open for further replies.