2015 Silverado LT Z71

MjrSinkhole

I recently got back into running a radio in my vehicle. My 1st radio was a Uniden Pro520XL I bought in 1987. I am now running a President Andy II FCC with a President Iowa antenna. Getting the mount sorted was interesting. I have a 2015 Silverado and while looking for a fender mount I found many listings for 2010-2018. In my mind, this made no sense. Body styles on GM trucks run from 2007-2013, 2014-2018, and 2019-Current. I found the proper mount from Rugged Radios but with a 3/8 NMO hole. I ordered that up and drilled the hole to 1/2". I am running a Procomm 12' Terminator series cable with an FME end.
I went with the Andy II FCC because President has a good reputation and I needed a smaller radio to fit the opening left when I removed the fold-down pocket from the dash. I mounted the radio in that opening, which only required me to drill two small holes, for the bracket, that can not be seen if I ever want to take the radio out and got back to stock. I installed a combo USB/HDMI port where that 12v power outlet used to be, for the Pioneer in-dash. I tapped the unused 12v power outlet wiring behind the panel and routed it through the slot for the pocket. I wired it with some Anderson Powerpole connectors and covered the wire with PET expandable braided sleeving for added chaff protection. I am a mobile electronics installer by trade so my setup is tied into my stereo. I ran a mono 3.5mm/RCA adapter up to the radio and then used an RCA splitter into the radio. I can now set my radio to AV In and my truck's stereo is my external speaker. I can turn the CB volume all the way up and control the volume through the steering wheel controls for the stereo. I can also use Android Auto for navigation while listening to the CB or NOAA Weather. The antenna installation was easy I routed into the cabin through the upfitter provision in the main wiring harness grommet. The SWRs were low right out of the box clear across from channel 1 to 40. So far I really like this radio and setup.

CB Radio.jpgCB Radio 1.jpgCB Radio 2.jpgCB Radio 4.jpgCB Radio 5.jpg

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Looks very nice. The install described is impressive. No question.

At some potential future point:

I’d recommend the WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEECH DSP SPEAKER for optimal performance.

23676EAA-F713-49A6-AA1C-343DADD527A8.jpeg

I’m a fan of PRESIDENT radios (have several), but the addition of Digital Signal Processing in the audio is a revolution in performance.

You’ll hear truck drivers say they’d never leave home without their CB (I’m one). Today, I’d amend that to having this item instead . . . as any cheap truckstop radio (UNIDEN 880 or Cobra 29) will outperform radios with ostensibly better receivers with this unit.

Had mine eight (8) years and well past 10k hours of use.

The radios receive more than what they can filter for your use. Now you can decipher what previously was “too far away”.

If you decide to run a real antenna someday
0BB4B937-E155-4DC1-ACFA-7D957FBB844A.jpeg

Then at the other end you’ll be glad of having Amateur-level noise filtration.

What you have at present (no disrespect intended, just being blunt) is a radio rig the victim of low expectations.

By the time you’ve “heard” of a problem on the road I’ll have been miles farther back in a big truck re-routing myself in a diversion around the same road incident.

No big truck (save the large cars) have the potential antenna mount efficiency as can be had with a pickup or van.

Much trouble as I’ve gone to in big trucks (guys around me asking to whom it is I’m speaking as they can’t hear it), DSP was (is) the game-changer.

Do some air mile radio checks. I’m getting 10-miles with a 4.5’ mag mount and no DSP from my Dodge in a major metro. 7-9, easily (as I go thru mock up on install). If you’re not seeing 5-7/miles in good conditions (highway mile marker verified), performance is being left on the table.

When one needs CB, he really needs it.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
These posts for anyone reading:

CC6D601B-6190-4361-B2C4-9A93E313E295.jpeg
2F2BDD6A-F68C-4D91-BAC9-535B067E206A.jpeg

Many ways to skin a cat.
(BREEDLOVE MOUNT)
(RAM MOUNT)

Stereo system audio isn’t optimized for vocal reproduction. An inexpensive unit and out-of-the-way location won’t run you more than $20 in an experiment.

Used KENWOOD KES-5 (eBay) under drivers seat. Outstanding vocal clarity
8755F69A-EDCB-417F-BDF9-10A819A9E89E.jpeg

I can walk quite a ways from my Cummins Dodge (engine idling) and use NOAA broadcast as control with door open.
20-yards is a minimum.

(Public Service Radio, as used by EMT, FIRE, POLICE. Meets Mil-Spec).

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Coax Diagnosis Test

Here’s a cheap test to cut RFI/CMC
$10

3D0836A6-8529-46CD-BAF4-48F23A62C572.jpeg

A28 Arrestor
0965B72D-8089-4DCF-9194-EB494BCFB5D4.jpeg
Surge Protector

Except that here we’re looking to ground the coax shield at the transceiver. (Swap out to run 10AWG to sheetmetal).

Also, another 10-AWG ground wire from radio case to sheetmetal ground at same time (despite bracket mount into metal if so installed).

Ferrites (same supplier as in opening link; P-E) have worked well for me in nearly every application. Read thru their site for ideas to try.

For those willing to take some pains:

Upgrading the 12VDC grounds in cab and underhood will help, but RF BONDS are what are really needed to improve SNR.

K0BG: Bonding
K0BG: Grounds, RF & DC

Horizontal surfaces have bonding priority.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Last, I’ve read and re-read your post, OP, but it isn’t clear that you ran dedicated power from the battery?

Please test for noise. Nearly all 12V noise problems are eliminated by direct BATT connection.

On-road testing with helper to manipulate coax center versus shield as in diagnosis test linked above: with HVAC fan operating on high, windshield wipers running, etc. The bad weather conditions simulation where CB need is likeliest.

(I’ve enjoyed each of your posts on this forum and hope you don’t mind a lifer truck driver sticking his neck out on your behalf).

— Had I ignored the use of the above (plus ferrites) the noise picked up by the coax — despite dedicated power — would have left my U-885 (plus bc906W wireless mic/speaker) inside the bad conditions too many (most?) accept as normal.

Yes, there’s still “noise”. But RX (and TX) now have clarity at both ends. The KES-5 is quieter. It’s easier to distinguish noise source.

(No DSP this permanent radio rig; truck is also being set up to carry a passenger-side slip seater radio rig case from my big truck which has the DSP unit and sophisticated outboard filters, better radio, etc.)

There are problems to deal with past the vehicle (so distinguishing them is part of operation):

Last edited:

MjrSinkhole

Well, there are a few advantages of running it through my stereo. First is the volume control and power. I can raise, lower, and mute the volume from my steering wheel, I have a full 50W RMS per channel available versus the under 10W output of many of the commonly available external speakers. I also have a full DSP built-in, as well as crossovers, a 31-band parametric equalizer, time alignment, and listening position. I can tailor the outgoing sound profile for whatever I want. I have preset EQ curves for natural and voice as well as 2 custom curves that can be tailored for exactly what sounds best to me. I can guarantee the volume output from my system is louder than anything an external speaker can produce.
Yes, I did use an unused 12v constant power outlet for power, No I have no noise. No noise from radiated sources and no noise from ground loops. My vehicle has a very healthy electrical system including grounds/panel grounding.
Bonding, by definition, is "Connecting equipment or circuits together to keep them at the same voltage." and is necessary only if you have excessive resistance between any spot on a panel and Batt-, or excessive voltage drop between Batt- and the ground wire of your device, typically under 1 Ohm and less than 0.5V is ideal. The idea of bonding is to improve a poor electrical bond between a specific panel/spot to the chassis ground of the vehicle. If your vehicle does not exhibit high resistance between a panel, like the hood for example, and Battery Negative there is no reason to add a bonding strap. It will not improve anything.
As for distance, while doing some radio checks in my driveway after finishing the installation, I had a clear confirmed contact with a truck driver 5.81 miles away. Also since I have full navigation with live traffic updates I often get reroute notifications much farther out than 5 miles when I am taking long trips.