2016 Ford Fusion Ham Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3VEM

I've been slowly documenting my install in my new car on my blog, so that the guys in my local radio club could follow along with my progress. Here's few of the pics. If you want to check out the details my blog is at November 3 Victor Echo Mike - November 3 Victor Echo Mike

let me know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 5,534
  • IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,075
  • IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,329
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,992
  • IMG_2445.jpg
    IMG_2445.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,099

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I bought a 2015 Ford Fusion because of the hole in the center console. Did you use the cigarette lighter to power the radio, or run separate power?

Is it difficult to mount an antenna on the trunk lid? It looks like there are interior covers that need to be removed.

73 Eric

N3VEM

Eric,
I did not use the cig. Lighter for power - in all but the very lowest power equipment, the recommendation is always to get power straight from the battery, because the cig lighter sockets can almost never handle the current demanded by a transmitting radio. I do talk about how I ran the power on my blog, so you may want to check that out.
As for the antenna on the trunk, it was a bit involved, but not bad. You have to remove all the plastic trim parts (handles, latch covers, etc.) and then you can pop out the plastic tabs and drop the trunk lid liner down. From there, you just need to find your locations and drill. On the fusions there is a sort of beam down the middle of the trunk lid that you have to work inside of if you want your antenna centered. I do talk about how I dealt with that on my blog too. www.n3vem.com
Good luck on your project! The fusion is a great car!
I apologize for any bad grammar or spelling in my response here-I'm on my phone and not at a proper keyboard at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PACNWDude

On my commute to work, there is another newer model Ford Fusion that has a similar setup, except he went cheap on the antennas. Magnet mounts on the roof and trunk, may be a leased vehicle for all I know.

Your install looks great, and the rear trunk antenna was done well. Same with the roof mount.

N3VEM

Thanks for the comments! The mount on the trunk is overkill for the antenna that's on it now, but the plan is to put a screwdriver antenna on it as soon as the budget and time allow, so I figured I'd do the mount right, so that I wouldn't have to re-do it later when I get the heavier and bulkier antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.