2016 Silverado

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Got a new used truck.

Havent even made the first payment on it yet, and it already has a NMO in the roof, a fender mount bracket in the front, and a 3rd brake light mount NMO coming by tuesday (i already installed it once, but the threads werent tapped right so it got overnighted back to the manufacturer to be fixed)

Since i expect to do much less field work this year (even though we're burning nearly a million acres in-state), the p25 apx mobile in my garage which has been waiting for YEARS for me to get a new truck, will probably stay in the box, and i'll work off one or two portables like i've been doing, i dont expect to need a second antenna on the roof.

Instead, i've trying to decide what scanner is going in, most likely going with a Homepatrol 2 rather then an SDS200, for ease of install AND removal.

Fender mount has a larsen 27mhz antenna for a CB thats tucked under the console... i travel so much for my other job, that its useful on the highway and easily stowed when i'm not on the road.

NMO is a little flexible EM wave stub that covers 698-960/1710-2500 MHz for the cell booster. Got the weboost reach model as a refurbished deal, but the mag mount run thru the weather strip annoyed me after 2 days so i grabbed my drill and hole saw.

When the 3rd brake light mount gets back here, its likely going to be used as the scanner antenna, theres not enough of a ground plane there for anything else useful to me.

Pics in the next post.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Clean. If I install a cb in the Silvy, I already settled on a Uniden cmx unit. Not knocking the install at all (it's pretty clean), but curious as to why not install another nmo opposite the EM Wave for the scanner?

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I considered it, but the 3rd brake light mount was already bought and paid for, ($400) i was just waiting for the company to fix it under warranty (and they ended up just overnighting me a new one) and its original purpose was the booster, so it would be sitting unused. Putting another NMO in the opposite corner wouldnt have been a huge deal, since the first one was quick and smooth, and that area was pretty installer friendly. It may get one in the future, although i cant think of anything else to put in the truck. That spot is not ideal for VHF unless i go with a NGP antenna, which is a possibility.
Border patrol runs a NGP VHF antenna in the left rear corner and a cell booster in the right rear corner of pretty much all their vehicles out here.

Pictures of the 3rd brake light mount coming next.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Gave in to the APX mobile??
no, its still sitting in a pelican box in the garage.
i did give in to the idea of a occasional ham radio mounted in the truck, especially after a hurricane assignment in florida.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Nice! And what about the inside? :cool:
The inside is a mess. Been home for 3 days and i'm still cleaning it out from my last trip... 22k miles between mid june and this week.

However:

Fender mount is still the CB radio.

Center roof mount is a tri band which feeds a Homepatrol2 mounted to the ceiling.

Center right is a Proxicast MIMO, the 2 multiband 600-2100 run to a verizon hotspot, the GPS line is coiled under the dash for future use.

Left rear is a Larsen 600-2500 low profile which connects single LTE, active GPS and Wifi to a cradle for the Samsung tablet. The tablet cradle itself is mounted to the bottom rear of the console for out of the way storage, but its easy to pop out of the cradle for handheld use, and there is enough slack in the power and antenna lines on the cradle that it can also be mounted in the center console.

The 3rd brake light mount is currently (and not whats in the picture) a UHF phantom elite, which I was using on a 20 watt mobile, scanning both GMRS and 70cm when i was in Florida for the hurricane. However, i've got a bunch of antennas under the seat, so it can change depending on my needs.

Right rear is still the cell booster, which I finally re-installed in a better spot behind the rear seat.

Now as for my work radio, my APX7000 portable has VHF/7-8, which works on the state system plus local and regional VHF, whereas the APX mobile i had aquired years ago is single band VHF only. Theres a good chance it will never get installed, at least not in this truck, unless i switch jobs and need lots of VHF power.

Mboy00

Premium Subscriber
What 6000 antenna is that? Looks different and pretty cool

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
What 6000 antenna is that? Looks different and pretty cool

Its a Laird.
EXH-155-SF (for XTS and APX), they also sell it with the MX for older portables.

My agency uses them exclusively on the BK fire portables* (but with a 165-175 bandwidth) and so we ended up buying them for the Motorolas as well. Its a higher gain then the stock VHF whips, and its not as stiff as the motorola high gain VHF.

* picture in next post

Last edited:

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Oh, and heres the cheap 20 watt mobile i've been playing with on GMRS and ham.

IMG_1644.jpeg