2016 Silverado

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
What’s your thoughts on that GMRS mobile? I’ve been looking hard at the radioddity db-20g which is what that appears to be. Online reviews are positive, but I’d like to hear real world feedback.
Its the Retivis RA25, Which i'm pretty certain is just a nameplate changed version of the radioddity, BUT a slightly different firmware that matches other retivis radios for programming.

Literally the only thing that annoys me is how it handles offsets in VFO if its booted in any mode other then GMRS. However, if you're using it as a GMRS radio, its great.

In GMRS mode, pre-programmed channels match their handhelds and their repeater, so out of the box it behaves well with their radios. Hand programming tones is simple, and in (the correct North American) ham mode its pretty easy to use, comparable to hand programming most recent cheap chinese radios.

Backlit keypad mic, including a dual color led Tx/Rx signal meter, intuitive to use, pretty clear screen.

I had it in ham mode, exclusively using it on 70cm in florida during the hurricane. I was being bounced around the state from staging to staging, and Florida has a public/government partnership linking 70cm repeaters statewide with microwave backhaul, so i'd keep one VFO on the repeater in the area i was in, and the other VFO on the one i was headed towards. Audio is clear, got good reports on audio on transmit.

Since i've been home, its back in GMRS mode when its mounted, on a couple of local repeaters, plus simplex use when i'm out with my kid.

It fulfilled everything I was looking for in a small mobile. I cut the cig plug off, and added a quick disconnect, its on its own 10 amp direct to battery run with a body ground. I have had good luck with it on 2 meter as well, although even locally i'll stick to club and private 70cm repeaters when i'm not using it on GMRS.

78k10

Its the Retivis RA25, Which i'm pretty certain is just a nameplate changed version of the radioddity, BUT a slightly different firmware that matches other retivis radios for programming.

Literally the only thing that annoys me is how it handles offsets in VFO if its booted in any mode other then GMRS. However, if you're using it as a GMRS radio, its great.

In GMRS mode, pre-programmed channels match their handhelds and their repeater, so out of the box it behaves well with their radios. Hand programming tones is simple, and in (the correct North American) ham mode its pretty easy to use, comparable to hand programming most recent cheap chinese radios.

Backlit keypad mic, including a dual color led Tx/Rx signal meter, intuitive to use, pretty clear screen.

I had it in ham mode, exclusively using it on 70cm in florida during the hurricane. I was being bounced around the state from staging to staging, and Florida has a public/government partnership linking 70cm repeaters statewide with microwave backhaul, so i'd keep one VFO on the repeater in the area i was in, and the other VFO on the one i was headed towards. Audio is clear, got good reports on audio on transmit.

Since i've been home, its back in GMRS mode when its mounted, on a couple of local repeaters, plus simplex use when i'm out with my kid.

It fulfilled everything I was looking for in a small mobile. I cut the cig plug off, and added a quick disconnect, its on its own 10 amp direct to battery run with a body ground. I have had good luck with it on 2 meter as well, although even locally i'll stick to club and private 70cm repeaters when i'm not using it on GMRS.
Thank you for your in depth thoughts. I’m looking around at a few mobiles to use in my truck, and this model is at the top of my list. Main use would be to keep in touch with a couple portables for hunting purposes, but I’d eventually like to see GMRS take on a CB type role for the highway.

It’s my humble opinion that as GMRS catches on, it’ll possibly replace cb. Better clarity, and antennas that are way easier to deal with definitely make it appealing to me anyway. Anyway, in the event that it does take over I’d like to be ahead of the curve. But that’s a discussion for another thread. Thank you again.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
For a small, lower output mobile, its a really great radio. Glad i got one.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
The agency had issues with the sonim's. Several including mine experienced battery swelling. They ended up replacing all the firstnet phones with samsungs.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Feds have been using them for a while. County is starting to use them with good results, so I got two on ebay, the rigid version and the newer flexi-whip version.

I tried the rigid one for a few days waiting for the other one to get here. Seems to be significantly stronger reception on 800 then the tri-band em wave i had before. Also a better performer then the large laird multi-band most agencies around me have used for years.

Now that i have the flexi-whip version, i'm 100% sold. Stronger performance on VHF and 800 then any other multi-band i've tried. I'm holding onto systems further away with less garbling.

Paid 100 shipped for the first one, antenna only in an opened package, 109 for the flexible one including NMO mount as New-old stock.

The rigid one is going to be installed on an SDR in my office, as soon as I order a ground plane base for it.

Now that i have the flexi-whip version, i'm 100% sold. Stronger performance on VHF and 800 then any other multi-band i've tried. I'm holding onto systems further away with less garbling.

Paid 100 shipped for the first one, antenna only in an opened package, 109 for the flexible one including NMO mount as New-old stock.
I didn't know there was a flexi-whip version! Got a part number?

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Sti-Co RFMT-TB V/U/C is rigid with NMO mount
Sti-Co RFMT-NT V/U/C is flexi with NMO mount

Part number with -A suffix are antenna only.

There are some TB on ebay now including mount for 130 from the same seller i got mine from:
Sti-Co RFMT-TB Tri-Band Antenna | eBay (mine was open bag with the NMO mount removed, which was perfect for my needs)

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
How you liking it so far? I have one laying around but haven't used it yet.

Even if its the rigid one, slap that ***** on the sentra for a few days and see how much better it is on the SDR's.

When i was in San Francisco last year, i saw a bunch of SFFD sedans with the rigid one on the trunk. Probably white shirts and brass, they were all unmarked crown vics, looked like extremely low miles. On the trunk lid, its well protected.