• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT Install Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke6gcv

My Charger is no more. The issues that started cropping up were too much in relation to its value. So, I purchased a 2017 Malibu LT and will be putting my radios in it and would like to get as many ideas as I can, please?

What pictures do you have of your install that you'd like to share? I would like for this to be as clean of an install as possible so I welcome your comments, suggestions, recommendations, ideas, and everything in between. (Can you hear my wife begging for a clean install?!)

I will do my best to give you specifics but since I'm not 100% familiar with the car yet, I may not have the answer to your questions. I am also digging around the Interwebs for as much info as possible on this car. So, here are the two radios I'd like to install.

I have a Kenwood TM-V71A and a Connect Systems CS800D. I also have all the accessories that go with both radios - external speakers, cables, remote mounts, extra zip cord and ties, split loom, etc. I will be looking at GM Upfitter's website for information as well.

My intentions are to install the control heads in the center, just below the stereo and HVAC controls. I will be putting the RF decks in the trunk. I know putting the decks in the trunk isn't ideal to the location of the battery, but it's all I've got for as much of a clean install as possible. I know the option for under the armrest is available but I don't want to do that. I use that area for other stuff.

I have a Comet SBB-2NMO and a CA-2X4SRNMO. Both are obviously dual bands but will consider changing them if necessary. There will be no roof mounts. I don't want to mess with the airbags and other things that are up there, including the shark fin. The antennas will be on the trunk provided I can get enough spacing. I'm considering 'L' brackets but will save that as a last resort. I prefer to punch holes.

This is what I'd like to know:
  • How difficult is it to run from the trunk to the battery?
  • How easy is the center console to (somewhat) take apart to run the appropriate cables?
  • Will the cables interfere with the operation of the vehicle? IE: shielded versus unshielded. I don't think it will, but want to be sure as this car is very hi-tech for me! (I'm very out of date with installing radios. Though I did get lucky with my Charger! Ha-ha!)
I know I have more questions, but those are the only ones that immediately come to mind. As I mentioned, I'm still getting familiar with the car and will do my best to answer your questions.

Thank you, everyone, for your input! It's appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210104_110814.jpg
    20210104_110814.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 31

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I haven't done a 2017, but I did a 2011, not that it helps.

Trunk is a great place for the RF decks. Ideally you want your coaxial runs as short as possible to reduce feed line losses. While not usually a problem in mobile installs, running from the dash, over to the side, down along the floor trough, into the trunk and then to the trunk lid, can suck up a lot of cable.

The 2011 or so had a small battery in the trunk to support some of the accessories for the start/stop feature. Probably long since done away with that design, but it was handy back then.
Something like a 8 gauge wire would work fine for getting from the battery up front back to the trunk. Put a 30-40 amp fuse at the battery to protect the run.

Put a small fused distribution block in the trunk to distribute power to the RF decks.
and don't forget the ground:

If you want low profile and keep the wife happy, ditch the big antennas and go with a lower profile dual band antenna. Installing NMO's on the trunk lid would be idea. Shorter antennas will keep them from thwacking the roof/rear window every time the trunk is opened.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Ill tell you right now the GM upfitters guide wont do anything for you because it is not used as a police vehicle. Car alarm websites can tell you where to pull igniton

ke6gcv

Trunk is a great place for the RF decks. Ideally you want your coaxial runs as short as possible to reduce feed line losses. While not usually a problem in mobile installs, running from the dash, over to the side, down along the floor trough, into the trunk and then to the trunk lid, can suck up a lot of cable.

The 2011 or so had a small battery in the trunk to support some of the accessories for the start/stop feature. Probably long since done away with that design, but it was handy back then. Something like a 8 gauge wire would work fine for getting from the battery up front back to the trunk. Put a 30-40 amp fuse at the battery to protect the run.

If you want low profile and keep the wife happy, ditch the big antennas and go with a lower profile dual band antenna. Installing NMO's on the trunk lid would be idea. Shorter antennas will keep them from thwacking the roof/rear window every time the trunk is opened.

I agree with running as short of a coax as possible. It may have been 20-years or so since I installed radios as a career before getting into IT, but glad I still remember some of the basics!

My car does have the Auto Engine Stop feature, but I didn't see a second battery in the trunk when I looked. I would think it'd be obvious unless it's behind the paneling. I've only had the car a few days now. Still getting used to it.

I didn't think of running a larger gauge wire from the battery to the trunk! That would certainly cut down a lot of time by running one hot lead. That is an awesome idea! Thank you, mmckenna!

I'll grab the fuse block and bus bar you mentioned as well. Again, awesome idea! Thank you!

What low profile antenna do you recommend? The SSB-2 is about 18" high. The CA-2X4SR... about 40"! If I'm not mistaken, the minimum spacing is still between 19"-21" correct?

ke6gcv

Ill tell you right now the GM upfitters guide wont do anything for you because it is not used as a police vehicle. Car alarm websites can tell you where to pull igniton

I don't intend to pull ignition, but you're correct that GM Upfitter doesn't have anything on the Malibu. I was hopeful, however!

I didn't think of car alarm websites! I'll start digging through those and get info. A great idea, FFPM571! Thank you!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My car does have the Auto Engine Stop feature, but I didn't see a second battery in the trunk when I looked. I would think it'd be obvious unless it's behind the paneling. I've only had the car a few days now. Still getting used to it.

They've probably moved away from it. I think the last one I did was in the 2010-2011 time frame. It was a small 12 volt battery in the trunk, drivers side, behind a panel. I think it was well marked. It was when the start/stop stuff first came out, so I'm sure they've moved on since then. I haven't seen any other cars with that feature have a second battery since that one. Sure did make install nice, though.

I didn't think of running a larger gauge wire from the battery to the trunk! That would certainly cut down a lot of time by running one hot lead. That is an awesome idea! Thank you, mmckenna!

Makes life easier, and allows you to add additional radios down the road. On the last few full size trucks I installed in, I ran 6 gauge and fused it at 60 amps. That was overkill for 2 radios, but gives room to add more down the road without pulling more cable. Since most of the cost is in the labor, stepping up a size in the wire isn't really that costly, all things considered.

What low profile antenna do you recommend? The SSB-2 is about 18" high. The CA-2X4SR... about 40"! If I'm not mistaken, the minimum spacing is still between 19"-21" correct?

The SSB-2 is probably fine. I know the one I installed had a standard 1/4 wave VHF antenna and it cleared, but it will depend on where you drill the hole. I went center of the trunk lid in the left/right and front/rear plane and it worked fine.
It does put the antenna mostly down below the roof line, which is less than ideal, though. If installing on the roof is out of the question, then you need to make do. The 40" antenna might work a bit better, but it may also hit when the trunk is open/closed.
Personally, I always stuck with 1/4 wave antennas on my installs. Larsen NMOQ is my favorite, never had one fail. I'm using just VHF, but if you cut it for the 2 meter band, it'll act as a 3/4 wave on UHF and work pretty well. I've run dual band radios like that in the past. Other option would be the Larsen NMO-2/70SH.

ke6gcv

They've probably moved away from it. I think the last one I did was in the 2010-2011 time frame. It was a small 12 volt battery in the trunk, drivers side, behind a panel. I think it was well marked. It was when the start/stop stuff first came out, so I'm sure they've moved on since then. I haven't seen any other cars with that feature have a second battery since that one. Sure did make install nice, though.

Makes life easier, and allows you to add additional radios down the road. On the last few full size trucks I installed in, I ran 6 gauge and fused it at 60 amps. That was overkill for 2 radios, but gives room to add more down the road without pulling more cable. Since most of the cost is in the labor, stepping up a size in the wire isn't really that costly, all things considered.

The SSB-2 is probably fine. I know the one I installed had a standard 1/4 wave VHF antenna and it cleared, but it will depend on where you drill the hole. I went center of the trunk lid in the left/right and front/rear plane and it worked fine.
It does put the antenna mostly down below the roof line, which is less than ideal, though. If installing on the roof is out of the question, then you need to make do. The 40" antenna might work a bit better, but it may also hit when the trunk is open/closed.
Personally, I always stuck with 1/4 wave antennas on my installs. Larsen NMOQ is my favorite, never had one fail. I'm using just VHF, but if you cut it for the 2 meter band, it'll act as a 3/4 wave on UHF and work pretty well. I've run dual band radios like that in the past. Other option would be the Larsen NMO-2/70SH.
I looked around the trunk and didn't see anything extra battery related. Drat! Like you said, that would've been very helpful. So... I'll run the 6- or 8-gauge to trunk and call it good.

As far as adding radios, I will stick to two. The car is so small that any more would be too much and not look right. As it is, two radios is pushing it. Besides, I really don't want to mess with the roof if I can avoid it. So, your recommendation of a 40-amp at the battery is awesome! There's no way I'll be transmitting on both radios at the same time. That'd be... well... let's not go there!

I haven't "placed" the antennas on the trunk yet to see how they'd look. I'd imagine that the 40" off to the side of the trunk would look a bit odd. So, I'll do as you suggested and get another short antenna similar to the Larsen, Comet, or a quarter wave and slap it on the trunk. If I opt for the quarter wave, I'll have to seek out some assistance with tuning.

Slowly, but surely, I'm getting back into installing. Aside from my Malibu, I also need to put a radio in my wife's Expedition. You want to talk about planning!

Thank you for the suggestions, @mmckenna !!! They're are perfect!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, pretty sure they did away with the dual battery setup. It seemed to only be when they first started doing the start/stop function, and the small battery was just to support non-engine related stuff.

For two radios, even if you only ever transmit with one, 8 would be about as small as I'd go. It's not just current draw you need to be concerned with, long conductors will have some voltage drop across them, so upsizing is always a good idea.

If you put each antenna 19" in from the edge, that'll give you the ground plane you need. Separation between them ~should~ be enough to prevent issues. There's no one size fits all, depends on rf power, receiver sensitivity, antenna coupling, feed line losses, sunspots, witchcraft, etc. You will no doubt get some desense on the idle radio while transmitting with the other.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
One other thing I remembered.
I was only installing one RF deck, but I mounted that up under the rear package shelf. Worked pretty well as it kept it out of the way of anything in the trunk.

ke6gcv

Yeah... makes sense. As technology advances, the need to consolidate becomes the more logical approach.

As far as antenna spacing goes, I'll measure the width of the trunk. That may be the deciding factor as to whether I can have two radios or not. If I can only have one, then I'll drop in the Kenwood over the CS800D.

ke6gcv

One other thing I remembered.
I was only installing one RF deck, but I mounted that up under the rear package shelf. Worked pretty well as it kept it out of the way of anything in the trunk.

That is my intention. I've got split loom to help keep things neat and tidy too!

Status
Not open for further replies.