• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2017 Forester HomePatrol 2 installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
Just replaced my 2011 Subaru Forester with a 2017 Forester. In my 2011 Forester I mounted my HP 2 in the open storage area forward of the shift. There was an opening in the back of the storage area and I routed power and antenna cables behind the dash through the opening in the back of the storage area to my HP2. It looked and worked great!
My 2017 Forester has the same storage area forward of the shift, BUT NO OPENING IN THE BACK TO ROUTE THE POWER AND ANTENNA CABLES!
So, it looks like I'm going to have to drill an access hole somewhere in the rear or side of the storage area in order to run my cables.
SO, I thought I'd check and see if any of you have done this and could advise me if there is any room behind or to the sides of this storage area before I'm on my knees jamming my hands blindly into the back of the dash. Thank you.
Right now I'm using one of my BCD325P2's in a drink holder......it's just not the same. 😕

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
BUT NO OPENING IN THE BACK TO ROUTE THE POWER AND ANTENNA CABLES!

So, it looks like I'm going to have to drill an access hole somewhere in the rear or side of the storage area in order to run my cables.

SO, I thought I'd check and see if any of you have done this and could advise me if there is any room behind or to the sides of this storage area before I'm on my knees jamming my hands blindly into the back of the dash.

Do you have any pictures of the storage area? I myself have a Subaru. I have been inside a 2017 forester when I was looking for my car. (I have a Impreza now) I can't recall what the storage area looks like.

BruceMN

I installed a 2 meter ham radio in the storage hole forward of the shifter in my 2015 Subaru Forester. I think this storage area is the same in my car as your car. I did not want to drill a hole for the cable and wires so I routed power and antenna cable along the side and around the front left edge of the storage area. It's not the most elegant solution but it works and I did not have to drill a hole in my (then) brand new car.

Bruce
N0JX

Attachments

• test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 560

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
I think this storage area is the same in my car as your car. I did not want to drill a hole for the cable and wires so I routed power and antenna cable along the side and around the front left edge of the storage area. It's not the most elegant solution but it works and I did not have to drill a hole in my (then) brand new car.

Bruce

N0JX

Looks the same in my car, just that in my car the storage area is a little smaller because of the touchscreen display. Anyway if you don't like how that looks I was going to suggest to route the wires to the passenger side and let either the wires go to the front of the car towards the engine compartment if you have the wires going to the front of the car, or hide the wires under the passenger seat if you have the wires going towards the back of the car.

d16f295e56a8bfe13fd0a2b869df12e3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.