2017 GMC Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

danbrew60177

Premium Subscriber
That’s a nice setup. Looks like the center console is the same as my Silverado where the cup holders can be lifted out and moved forward into those other two positions. I currently had a radio on a cup holder mount with a few ram mounts/ball attachments. How did you create the housing for those two radios? Looks like either some hard plastic cut to size with cutouts for the radio or maybe some light weight painted wood?

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
So clean, wish my 17 SIlverado had that upgraded console. I've looked to see what it would take to add the upgraded console to the LT, it is a lot. Hopefully I can start finding some LTZ and GMC consoles in the junk yards soon.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
So clean, wish my 17 SIlverado had that upgraded console. I've looked to see what it would take to add the upgraded console to the LT, it is a lot. Hopefully I can start finding some LTZ and GMC consoles in the junk yards soon.

Havis makes a nice console that fits below the dash in front of the 40/20/40 console like most of the LTs come with. Works well.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Havis makes a nice console that fits below the dash in front of the 40/20/40 console like most of the LTs come with. Works well.
I have seen those and will probably end up going that route at some point. It will block the door on the bottom of the dash... of course the upgraded console would as well. I think it's hard to beat what BryceT has done as far as a getting a clean and accessible install spot. That small console seems like it puts everything too close to the floor/trans tunnel.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I have seen those and will probably end up going that route at some point. It will block the door on the bottom of the dash... of course the upgraded console would as well. I think it's hard to beat what BryceT has done as far as a getting a clean and accessible install spot. That small console seems like it puts everything too close to the floor/trans tunnel.

What do you mean by too close? If you don't have the full console like he has above (I don't) then it is really the other option. Do you mean you think it is too far to reach? It's basically just at arm's reach.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Yeah it was a concern, after looking at Havis pics again, doesn't look as bad as I thought. For some reason I thought the box was shorter. Don't mean to hijack the thread.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yeah it was a concern, after looking at Havis pics again, doesn't look as bad as I thought. For some reason I thought the box was shorter. Don't mean to hijack the thread.

Yeah, it's not as 'close' as the ones in his console, above, but I don't have to bend over or anything to reach them in the Havis. But I understand.

Yeah, sorry to get off track a bit but somewhat related, since we can't have an install like the OP's. It looks nice!

N8KXH

Premium Subscriber
Was that console drop in from Rockland Custom Cabinets? I can't seem to get to the website right now. I have a 2015 Sierra with that style console and need to install some radios.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I believe i saw on another forum or site it was a rockland unit. I requested a quote as i have one i am trying to install like that. My issue has been the power cables to the engine compartment. Like to know how they routed them in this one.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I believe i saw on another forum or site it was a rockland unit. I requested a quote as i have one i am trying to install like that. My issue has been the power cables to the engine compartment. Like to know how they routed them in this one.

I went through the rubber grommet/boot that is on the driver side - easier to see it from the engine compartment than from under the dash. It is a common pass-through. You'll have to cut a hole, though, on both sides and fish something through. I used a coat hanger and then tied on the wire(s). Then it's just across the firewall or whatever. Power post over by the battery.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I went through the rubber grommet/boot that is on the driver side - easier to see it from the engine compartment than from under the dash. It is a common pass-through. You'll have to cut a hole, though, on both sides and fish something through. I used a coat hanger and then tied on the wire(s). Then it's just across the firewall or whatever. Power post over by the battery.

Thanks. That what everyone say. I can't see the boot inside or out. This is a loaded Denali with a Duramax. I can barely see the boot inside but can't see it at all outside.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. That what everyone say. I can't see the boot inside or out. This is a loaded Denali with a Duramax. I can barely see the boot inside but can't see it at all outside.

OK. Yeah, I'm not familiar with the duramax version so I can't help you there...it should still be there, though, but it may not be as easily accessible as on the gas trucks. Bummer!

Ravenkeeper

I've found quite a few in junkyards (<$500 including s/h), still in great shape, been thinking about replacing the one in my '18 for one out of a '14-'15, cupholder moves, so I can put the radios in the deep pocket in the rear of the console.

Was that console drop in from Rockland Custom Cabinets? I can't seem to get to the website right now. I have a 2015 Sierra with that style console and need to install some radios.
I'm looking at maybe giving up on the before mentioned idea and going with a Rockland Custom, but I'm not sure if my Uniden PC122XL will fit down in enough to be at the same level with my scanner. Otherwise, it's both plans.

NYAirOne

I had a 2015 Sierra pick-up with the same full floor console and bucket seats. I mounted my 996xt to the pull out cupholder. When in the console it was almost flush with the cupholder. Had antenna mounted on the driver's side fender with a bracket that was made for the truck. There's a rubber plug when you open the driver's door on the body by the upper door hinge. Ran the cable through that plug and under the floor console. There's a plastic pocket in the bottom of the console I took out and made a small hole to run the coax through. Had a right angle adapter on the radio to plug the coax on. Used one of the power outlets and used the uniden cable for power. They are hot when the truck is off. When I traded the truck in I pulled everything out and just reversed the cupholder so you couldn't see the mounting holes from the scanner bracket. Worked out great if your just looking to mount one radio in the console.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.