2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

Many of you have seen pics of my installs over the years, the last one being a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country van. At 180,000+ miles it was time for something new. I purchased a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited. I've got somewhat of an idea on how I want to do things, but this is the nicest vehicle I've ever owned so I'm going to be taking my time. I'm not 100% sure what equipment from my previous vehicle will be carried over and what wont. What I do know is I won't be drilling the trunk for antennas. They'll either be on L-Brackets or trunk lip mounts. I wanted to create this thread as a place holder and to show pics of it before I start. Be sure to check back soon!!

Front Profile

Rear Profile

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Nice looking ride! I think you probably expect this response at some point, but...if you plan to keep this car as long as you did the van, my advice would be to drill the trunk and mount the antennas that way. You know you will get better performance results. However, I respect that it is your vehicle and, by all means, ultimately your decision so don't take that the wrong way. Just a little encouragement! :D

KM4WLV

Nice looking ride! I think you probably expect this response at some point, but...if you plan to keep this car as long as you did the van, my advice would be to drill the trunk and mount the antennas that way. You know you will get better performance results. However, I respect that it is your vehicle and, by all means, ultimately your decision so don't take that the wrong way. Just a little encouragement! :D

It's all good Mark! I actually started working on it last night and the bottom dropped out on me & rained all night. I got the antennas on it. I went with L Brackets for now. I'll go out and get a pic in just a sec. I'll put up and interior shot as well so everyone can see the room I have and don't have, lol. I'm still brainstorming so any ideas are welcome. If you do a search for threads I've started, I believe it was in 2008, I had a Mazda 3 that I initially used L brackets and then drilled the trunk. Give me a few and I'll post those pics. But this new and shiny I just can't stomach taking that 3/4" hole saw to it just yet LOL

Last edited:

KM4WLV

djeplett

They are great cars. I tried out a 2016 last year and liked it but we needed more room because our two teenage boys are both taller than me already. So we went with a Nissan Altima. More leg room in back. Still a challenge for finding radio space. I think I'll be suction cup mounting my radio head high on the windshield to the right of the rearview mirror.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

KM4WLV

I really do like it. It rides great, and to only be a 4 cylinder when you switch it to sport mode it'll scoot LOL. OK, here's 4 pics. They are: A shot of the rear showing the antennas, a shot of the front showing where I mounted the front LED warning light, a shot of the interior, and one of the LED warning light on the rear deck. Please excuse the quality, took these with my phone. The sun is shining onto the back glass so the rear deck light is kinda hard to see. Better pics will be coming. As always I'm open to ideas. Oh yeah, before anyone asks or the self appointed RRPD shows up, Yes I am authorized to have the lights in my vehicle LOL
48be5049a12b55baae55e786a3a18823.jpg
ebc3bddf09764373f8e99afc9db6979f.jpg
59b0c3c8237160c8280f8c42b837cbc4.jpg
4779f926192bfd76b3375876be276b36.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

romanr

Daniel,
I just bought the same car, same model (in silver) a few weeks ago. I got this model because I didn't want the moonroof, but I haven't had the time/guts to get over to the Motorola people to get the NMO mount in the roof yet.

I'm really struggling to find a good place to mount two XPR5550s, so I'll be anxiously waiting to see what you try first. Thanks and good luck.

KM4WLV

Daniel,
I just bought the same car, same model (in silver) a few weeks ago. I got this model because I didn't want the moonroof, but I haven't had the time/guts to get over to the Motorola people to get the NMO mount in the roof yet.

I'm really struggling to find a good place to mount two XPR5550s, so I'll be anxiously waiting to see what you try first. Thanks and good luck.

Well, I'm kinda having to back up and reevaluate my plan. I was going to put the A9 head for my Syntor in the cubby below the A/C controls but i underestimated the size. The head will fit but it completely blocks access to both the 12vdc outlets, as well as the AUX port, and the USB connector for the Android Auto system. I guess I could just leave cables plugged in and mount the head anyway but then I'd lose the little bit of storage space the cubby provides too. I'm thinking in the end that's whats going to happen anyway. The other radio going in will be a VHF Maxtrac300 that is specifically for ham use, and my plan is to fabricate a "console" that will go directly behind the center console and will be covered with black automotive carpet to match with the radio in the faceplate from the console that I removed from my van. I don't want to mount it to the side of the console up front because I don't want holes up there, plus I don't require "ready access" to the front of it. I'll make an extention for the mic and put it up front. That will also give me somewhere to mount the speaker for the Syntor, as well as mounting the vehicle chargers for my XTS5000's. Some may worry that it will take up room in the back, but with it bring in the center, and no wider than the Maxtrac is, plus rarely if ever will someone ride in the back, I think that's going to be my best bet. I'll be sure to post pics as I go.

KM4WLV

They are great cars. I tried out a 2016 last year and liked it but we needed more room because our two teenage boys are both taller than me already. So we went with a Nissan Altima. More leg room in back. Still a challenge for finding radio space. I think I'll be suction cup mounting my radio head high on the windshield to the right of the rearview mirror.

Hey David, yesterday after you posted this comment I had to go by Wal-Mart on my way home and stopped in the automotive and electronics departments to see if there were any mounts or things that I could use in my install and I came across something that reminded me of this comment..........

In the electronics section I came across a GPS/Cell phone mount that clips to the backside of the rear view mirror and has a goose neck type "arm" that curves under and mounts the head right under the mirror. If I recall correctly it was around $25. I had left my phone in the car so I couldn't get a pic. I've got to go by there again today so I'll get a pic for you to see if that's something you could use. It was the suction cup idea that came to mind when I saw it. I'd love for that to work with my A9 Syntor head but I'm afraid it might obstruct my view just a bit LOL. When I get the pic I'll post it in this thread. Just check back later this afternoon.

djeplett

Got your PM. I will check back. If you can, get the Walmart stock number. Then anybody can order site to store on the ap.

KM4WLV

Got your PM. I will check back. If you can, get the Walmart stock number. Then anybody can order site to store on the ap.

Will do. I should be headed up there shortly. In addition to the pic of the mount (well the pic on the box) I'll post a pic of the item number & UPC too.

KM4WLV

Mother Nature and her nonsense

Daniel,

Hey guys, for any of you watching or following my install, especially romanr, my apologies for not having any updates at the moment. Here in North Carolina, along with many other places, Mother Nature has taken the weather completely off the rails . :mad:We've got a couple clear days coming so I'm going to try to knock out as much as I can & will be posting pics along the way. With that being said, whoever it is that is or has been praying for rain...... KNOCK IT OFF!!!!! LOL :lol:

KM4WLV

Quick poll folks: I've got 2 spot to mount my A9 head. What are your thoughts? In the center I really don't need the E brake with it being automatic, and in the cubby I can run extentions for the connections there. I like both spots but torn on where to use.........
13aa211439df3aec66a71128df1d5df3.jpg
fd2d21edfe62ee15117cc6ac30adb9f0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Cubby looks much cleaner. I'd never block it from being used easily, even automatics need it for parking on steep hills, etc.

djeplett

I would put it in the cubby and then get a short USB male to female extension to plug into the factory stereo USB input. (If that's what you'll be doing for tunes.)

KM4WLV

Well after I posted those pics earlier I talked to a buddy who's looking to part with VHF Astro Spectra with a W5 head. This would make things a lot easier lol. I didn't mention it but you'll notice in the passenger floor board is a radio. It's a Radio Shack HTX-212. It's going on the side of the center console, but I'm fabricating a bracket so I don't have to put hole in the plastic. Hopefully will have more pics to update with tomorrow!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Cubby looks much cleaner. I'd never block it from being used easily, even automatics need it for parking on steep hills, etc.

Just realized I got in a hurry and failed to clarify - hopefully it was clear I meant I wouldn't block the e-brake. The way it reads it sounds like the cubby is what I meant but I didn't.

KM4WLV

Just realized I got in a hurry and failed to clarify - hopefully it was clear I meant I wouldn't block the e-brake. The way it reads it sounds like the cubby is what I meant but I didn't.

Yep, I knew what you meant lol. When I posted those pics I wasn't exactly clear either lol. I'm really hoping the W5 comes through. We'll see. I hope to get the bracket fabricated for the HTX-212 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.