2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrwill

I'd recommend the W4 head (the one with knobs) which is my favorite smaller head. It's fully functional and having two control knobs is actually very nice. Much more ergonomic than mashing buttons.

One of my preferences also, you could have two A4 or W4, or A5 or W5, heads in that spot. And I like my remapped keys on my A5 head.

KM4WLV

Well my hope is I can get (back) the W5 Astro Spectra I had before. If you look back at the installs I did on my Ford Five Hundred (Revision 5 & 6) you'll see I had a W5 Astro Spectra. I did a trade with a buddy of mine, it for a portable, and it's been in a box in his garage ever since. He doesn't have any plans to install it in anything so I'm really hoping I'll be able to reacquire it. It will make things a whole lot easier lol.

I'm also installing an Radio Shack HTX-212 2m amateur radio. I know there are a lot newer units out there but after upgrading several portables and replacing my 2 tone pager I've been told by my banker (my wife) that my radio budget is busted LOL.

KM4WLV

Unless you are die hard Motorola, why not go for a dual band radio into a single head?

Well it's not that I'm die hard Motorola, I work in the public safety field. I know there are a number of dual band mobiles out there that I could easily modify for use in the public safety bands. But I want to keep a radio that's designated strictly to public safety. Granted I do have 2 800 XTS5000's, and a VHF & UHF XTS5000, I'd still rather keep one mobile dedicated to that. One of the main reasons is on my VHF mobile I normally take it off scan enroute to calls to monitor dispatch traffic because even though I've got 2 800 portables when we're dispatched on structure fires there at automatically two OPS talkgroups assigned and I park the two portables on them.

I had considered looking into a dual band mobile but decided to hold off. Big reason being that the 2M band is really the most active around here. My amateur club has a UHF repeater but it stays linked to Echolink all the time and it's gets old listening to it lol. I've got my UHF portable if the need arises to operate there. The HTX-212 I mentioned has worked well for me. However, my plan down the road when the opportunity presents itself I'm planning to buy a dual band DMR mobile so I've got both analog and digital capabilities. I've got a VHF Maxtrac that's set up in the house in a desk tray that I use for 2M in the house and I'd considered it putting it in the car instead but ultimately decided I wanted the ability to change freq's on the fly. Plus I've got 16 channels programmed in the Maxtrac for ham stuff it stays parked on our club 2M repeater. I really like the Yaesu FTM-400XD but there's not enough Fusion around here to justify spending that much. At some point I'd like to find one to use that I can suction cup to the windshield. And as much as Ive spent on radio/comm equipment the last 6 months my banker (aka my wife) would probably blow a gasket LOL :lol:

Sorry I know that was a little long winded.

KM4WLV

David (djeplett), sorry for the delay in getting those pics for you. Here's the mount from Walmart I mentioned:
9cf5cb98b381ebb047db24296181023f.jpg
4797bee9142df3abf514ade8799c7348.jpg
bc7950cd98c1a77465de2a38cf82fb03.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

djeplett

I like it. I almost did the same thing with a strong magnet I have only my plan was to put the magnet under the headliner.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

KM4WLV

OK, so after much debate with myself I've decided to hold off on putting the Motorola in this vehicle. I went with my HTX-212. I wanted something that I could change frequencies on the fly. The Syntor had really become an over glorified scanner. I've got both my 800 XTS5000's and my VHF & UHF 5000's when it comes to that stuff. I just went with a simple "side of the console" mounting solution. I did change my antenna mounts out. I went with 2 Turk black lip mounts. One has a VHF 1/4 wave, the other a Motorola 7/800 whip that I painted black to use with my 396XT or G5 that'll soon be on the way. I just think the lip mounts look better than those L Brackets did. It has a little more low profile look & that's really what I wanted. I just can't bring myself to drill the trunk right now lol. Let me know what you guys think...... (Sorry, the shot of the 212 isn't the greatest with my camera flash. I'll try to get a daylight shot tomorrow)
cf1224e5e9f4fe409ae48a3cbbbc8a3b.jpg
50b69e3490918eef586cdc509db089c2.jpg
3a426269d2eb48a0cc6251f4454232ec.jpg
bd7d4de321899932e52e9f1b54f45e63.jpg
24c282a9b4b33afc363821416322f744.jpg

djeplett

I like it. That's what I did on my 2013 Chrysler 200 and it looked good to me. The mag mounts were good on the Elantra I had but they can be less visually appealing.

KM4WLV

I like it. That's what I did on my 2013 Chrysler 200 and it looked good to me. The mag mounts were good on the Elantra I had but they can be less visually appealing.

I appreciate it. I used mag mounts on my very first vehicle (99 Olds Alero) and some jackwagon thought it would be funny to slide them back and forth across the trunk lid. I'm sure I don't have to say what the results were there lol.

After getting the lip mounts I wasn't sure if I was going to like them or the L Brackets I started with. After I pulled the brackets off and put the Turk lip mounts on I was sold. And I may change the 7/800 whip out with an Antennex Phantom 800. I used it for a while and got away from it. I really wish the VHF antenna could be a little shorter but it really doesn't stick out that bad. One of the first thing my wife asked was I putting that "big tall antenna" back on, referencing the low band Syntor I had in my van. I told her that was a definite no LOL.

Thanks again for the compliment. And I'm not really sure why it loaded the rear profile pic twice. I was using the Tapatalk app and it act's funny from time to time. My next task is to get the switches for the front and rear LED's installed. They're going to go in the center console I believe. Of course I'll update more as I go. Thanks to those who've looked and commented so far.

KM4WLV

The antennas, and the way you mounted them looks good !

I appreciate it. My initial plan was to mount the across the front of the trunk lid but the allen screws used to secure them still stick out just a hair after it's mounted and they were hitting the seal around the bottom of the rear glass. I'm not sure if it's metal under the seal, or if the back glass is a little underneath but when I saw it was hitting I didn't want to take a chance.

I also looked at mounting them farther down on the sides where the trunk lid flattens out but the clearance between the lid and quarter panel is really tight and even though I could get it closed it really pinched and put a lot of pressure on the coax and I didn't want to damage it.

Where they're at leaves plenty of room and when closed it fits perfectly as far as clearance. This is the first time I've used trunk lip mounts for my antennas & I wasn't sure how I'd like them or the look of having to "bend" the antenna whips to straighten them but I've been pleased with the look. Like I said before I just can't bring myself to drill the trunk, and if I decide I don't need or want the 2nd antenna for my 396 or G5 then I can take it off and any evidence of it having been there is gone. Plus I still think it gives it a cleaner, more low profile look than those L Brackets.

KM4WLV

I wanted to post a few more pics of the antennas on the lip mounts and the HTX-212 since the pics from last night weren't the greatest. I have a few more things in mind and I'll post more pics later down the road. Thanks to all who've stopped to look and commented!

dea803b554e11a7c9fc53cd331782188.jpg
74fe563b21212fa8b90c466b28d3c3bc.jpg
782e8fa3b41417038eb44d7e4fd5caaf.jpg
777dba5e176a82d54b234df72f46b861.jpg

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I wanted to post a few more pics of the antennas on the lip mounts and the HTX-212 since the pics from last night weren't the greatest. I have a few more things in mind and I'll post more pics later down the road. Thanks to all who've stopped to look and commented!

That is a very nice and clean installation. The only other comment I have is that when posting pictures, please insert a Carriage Return (Enter key) between each picture so that they are stacked vertically, instead of horizontally! :cool:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
That is a very nice and clean installation. The only other comment I have is that when posting pictures, please insert a Carriage Return (Enter key) between each picture so that they are stacked vertically, instead of horizontally! :cool:

Curious to know what you're viewing them on which is showing you them horizontally...what I've viewed them on, more than one computer with large widescreen displays, they have all been stacked vertically. So, I'm not disputing your statement but rather just asking for my own information.

KM4WLV

I'm not sure what you're viewing the pics on but I've used Google Chrome as well as the Tapatalk app for Android to post and view this thread and they display for me as they should as well.

I've looked/reloaded the page and doubled checked it on the Tapatalk app and everything is displaying as it should.

KM4WLV