• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2017 IWCE Kenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK boys and girls, I was at the IWCE show today (International Wireless Communication Expo) in Las Vegas.

Pretty good show, walked approximately 4 miles just inside the building. Pretty much everything 2 way radio related. Radios, antennas, towers, batteries, dispatch consoles, duplexers, DAS systems, LTE, public safety, you name it.

Kenwood had their NX-3000 line on display. The models were final looking engineering models. No FCC tags, but it was a finished looking product.
Here's the NX-5000 (right) and the NX-3000 (left) in the side by side size comparison:
IMG_5138_zps5wfmor0m.jpg

NX-3000 top view:
IMG_5136_zpskwl8zbqc.jpg

NX-3000 PTT side view:
IMG_5134_zpsoottudzh.jpg

NX-3000 multipin side view:
IMG_5133_zpsriywgxj5.jpg

NX-3000 two pin audio side view:
IMG_5145_zpsggl9ory3.jpg

NX-3000 will be released in the next few months. VHF and UHF first, followed later this year by the 800MHz and 900MHz versions.
Couple of different model variations:
- choice of 2 pin audio or multi-pin audio interfaces.
- 2 pin audio interface will be a 128(?) channel version, may have been less, but I'm having trouble remembering. (it's been a long day)
- Multi-pin audio interface model will be 512 channels.
- monochrome LCD display. Not color like the NX-5000 line.
- 7 color LED "bar" on top. Channels can be programmed to show different colors on bar.
- Full keypad and limited keypad models
- Built in GPS
- Bluetooth
- Analog, DMR and NXDN * see below before you get too excited.
- NO P25.

I was told that the radio will do DMR and NXDN, just not both at the same time. The DMR OR NXDN setting is a radio wide setting, so you set it up for NXDN + analog -OR- DMR + analog. Again, NO, you cannot do DMR and NXDN in the same radio at the same time. This is supposed to be a mid tier model designed to match customer needs, not an amateur radio toy or competition to to the NX-5000 line.

If you want P25, this isn't the radio. You want the NX-5000 model.

Pricing is supposed to be slightly less than the NX-210 and NX-410 models.

There is an NX-3000 mobile. Similar specifications to the portable. Remote head kit coming, but not on display.
IMG_5146_zpsyvbpcfjc.jpg

What was interesting was that Kenwood has recently invested heavily in Sonim, the LTE handset maker. They had two models on display. Both had the Sonim logo on the back, but the screens showed Kenwood.
IMG_5141_zpsene0dk3x.jpg

IMG_5140_zpsptbrfobj.jpg

They'll do LTE (FirstNet), and will BlueTooth connect to a LMR radio. Nice durable looking units, wouldn't mind having one of these.

NX-5000:
While not a new product, they did have the handheld control head on display:
IMG_5130_zpsbr1fmj9w.jpg

The EF Johnson products were there, but the EF Johnson name is slowly disappearing and being replaced with Kenwood tags. Some nice looking radios. Rumors of a new Multi band portable on the way.

As for the rest of the show:
Public Safety LTE is getting big. Lots of products on display.
As years past, there are more and more Chinese companies displaying products. All similar, analog, DMR, multiband, etc. Nothing impressive, all just basic/cheap looking radios.

Pyramid (the mobile extender people) had a "Multi RF Deck" mobile repeater unit designed to interface with the Kenwood NX-5000 mobiles. Will allow up to 3 RF Decks to interface to one SVR-200, SVR-250 or SVR-P250.
Using the NX-5000 control head, you can control which RF deck and which channel is used by the mobile repeater. This is a good solution since it allows a single band portable radio to utilize any of the RF bands used by the NX-5000.

GoTenna had a "Pro" model on display. VHF and UHF, claimed programmable from 142-175MHz and 445-480MHz.
500mw, 1, 2 or 5 watts.
Intrinsically safe.
$499 each, available Summer 2017.

Interesting little SDR radio, 20 watts. 220-222MHz now, 100MHz to 1GHz soon.
AgileOne Gazelle

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Cool. Btw, the PTT side view shot of the 3000 isn't loading for some reason...just the little blue box with a question mark...hiccup on upload I assume.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Forgot to add:

Whistler was there, but didn't seem to have anything new.

Uniden was there, but they were only selling cellular products. Looks like they are trying to get into ruggedized/special use cellular phones and OTR truck type terminals. No scanners/CB's on display.

SAFFA

Thanks for the info

Did Kenwood mention anything about type D trunking on the Nx3000?

Did they have the KAS20 AVL on display perhaps

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I believe it's in the works. As I said, these were engineering models and the guys on the floor didn't have a lot of details.
Since these are intended to be eventual replacements for many of the older NX models, it's likely they'll have similar features.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
What was interesting was that Kenwood has recently invested heavily in Sonim, the LTE handset maker. They had two models on display. Both had the Sonim logo on the back, but the screens showed Kenwood.
IMG_5141_zpsene0dk3x.jpg

IMG_5140_zpsptbrfobj.jpg

They'll do LTE (FirstNet), and will BlueTooth connect to a LMR radio. Nice durable looking units, wouldn't mind having one of these.

We have Sonim phones at work, which are fairly rugged. Their UI can use some improvements, so maybe Kenwood will help with that aspect.

Pyramid (the mobile extender people) had a "Multi RF Deck" mobile repeater unit designed to interface with the Kenwood NX-5000 mobiles. Will allow up to 3 RF Decks to interface to one SVR-200, SVR-250 or SVR-P250.
Using the NX-5000 control head, you can control which RF deck and which channel is used by the mobile repeater. This is a good solution since it allows a single band portable radio to utilize any of the RF bands used by the NX-5000.

Will they allow cross-system connectivity? (Like a DMR to P25, etc.)

GoTenna had a "Pro" model on display. VHF and UHF, claimed programmable from 142-175MHz and 445-480MHz.
500mw, 1, 2 or 5 watts.
Intrinsically safe.
$499 each, available Summer 2017.

Radio, or antenna?

Sent via Tapatalk

N4KVE

OK boys and girls, I was at the IWCE show today (International Wireless Communication Expo) in Las Vegas.

Pretty good show, walked approximately 4 miles just inside the building. Pretty much everything 2 way radio related. Radios, antennas, towers, batteries, dispatch consoles, duplexers, DAS systems, LTE, public safety, you name it.

Kenwood had their NX-3000 line on display. The models were final looking engineering models. No FCC tags, but it was a finished looking product.
Saw those Kenwoods at APCO last summer. nice radios, & I believe they will give Moto a run for the $. As for the no tags on the radios, I removed the batteries on 8 different APX8000's at APCO, & those radios had been out for a while, & none of them had tags. There's a rumor why there are so many tagless 8000's out there, being a new radio, but not the topic of this thread. Plenty of unknown Chinese companies displaying Dollar Store DMR radios in Vegas. Of course, no US based support. No time to waste with them. I can see the local DMR repeaters getting even more choked up. Hytera showed a new DMR/LTE device. But yeah, Kenwood is making some real nice stuff now.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
VP6000

Saw the VP6000 at IWCE, and our local dealer has a couple of demos in our hands. This is what impresses me about JVC Kenwood: I come back from IWCE and the next week, I have a real, live product on my system.

So far, the impressions are GREAT. This is a serious competition, solid radio that is at a good price point. I also like user selectable keysets for encryption.

The radio has an awesome display both main and top. The ability to use the VP600/900 fire knob sets makes this appealing for fire use, something I would not do with the VP5000 series.

The radio performs superbly, and I've always liked the EFJ vocoder/audio. You'll need the latest version of Armada but I was able to drop in my VP5000 template with little issues.

I like the VP5000 series but the VP6000 is a game changer. It's fully capable and serious competition to the APX6000.And Armada is hands down some of the best radio programming software I've ever used.
KW1.JPG

KW3.JPG

KW2.JPG

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, that was a nice radio. I was looking at it, but forgot to get photos.

When our PD was looking for new VHF portables, on their wish list was "top display". At the time there weren't any affordable options with that.
This will be a contender, now.

I do think Kenwood has reached critical mass in the market. Kenwood + EF Johnson + Sonim seems to put them in the right place now.

Did you take a look at the prototype Heads Up Display they had hooked up to the NX-5000? Really nice setup.
IMG_5148_zpsqezil5dm.jpg

IMG_5149_zps2q0v0cev.jpg

IMG_5147_zpseebl2gqg.jpg

flux4201

Premium Subscriber
mmckenna

Did you take any pictures of the kenwood NX VRS setup?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
mmckenna

Did you take any pictures of the kenwood NX VRS setup?

No, because it's not really any different than 2 NX-5000 RF decks connected together.

What's probably more interesting is the Pyramid SMX-200 and SMX-250 multi RF deck interface for the NX-5000's. It'll allow you to select the RF deck the SVR repeater connects to.
Pyramid Communications Home - Pyramid Communications Unfortunately they don't have anything on their website yet. Here's a scan of the glossy they were giving out. It's all I have on the product, nothing else.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I do think Kenwood has reached critical mass in the market. Kenwood + EF Johnson + Sonim seems to put them in the right place now.

Did you take a look at the prototype Heads Up Display they had hooked up to the NX-5000? Really nice setup.

I concur. JVC Kenwood spared no expense. They brought an entire ATLAS core and system, and their ENTIRE product line and protos were proudly on display. Also noticed a ton of JVC Kenwood name badges with Japanese names...

The heads up display is cool, but I don't see any of our users getting it. Now the HHCH, that is a huge plus. The overpriced and outdated O3 heads look so 2003 compared to what JVCKWEFJ is offering.

I first demo'ed some VP600s and a VP900 in late 2015, both on our (then being implemented) 7.14 and our (then barely breathing) Smartnet II and was impressed with audio, RF performance and build quality. They had the VP400 which did not do Smartnet for a few hundred less. Same hardware. These have the top display you need and the VP900 did VHF and 7/8. Much less than an APX7000 V/7/8 and built just as solid (and speaker doesn't "pop" everytime RX audio opens up like it does on a 7000).

Where I give EFJ/KW praise is their support. I am not even a customer yet time after time, both the local dealer and MR go out of their way to assist. A few months ago when I got a VP5430, I had the wrong cable (you need a KPG-36x not the older one) and the MR met me on a holiday in an hour's notice with the correct cable.

I wish I could say other larger (no names mentioned) were that responsive but they aren't.

JVC Kenwood is serious about public safety. Their interest and investment in Sonim shows they are prepping for the next wave of converged devices for public safety/LMR.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Where I give EFJ/KW praise is their support. I am not even a customer yet time after time, both the local dealer and MR go out of their way to assist. A few months ago when I got a VP5430, I had the wrong cable (you need a KPG-36x not the older one) and the MR met me on a holiday in an hour's notice with the correct cable.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Kenwood. When I was buying my trunked system, they gave us a few days free training down in Carson, CA. That included me, someone from my staff and the company doing the install of the system.
I lucked out when I was buying that system. I work for a research university and the manufacturer representatives daughter was going to school here at the time. He took particular interest in us, our system and how public safety was going to use it. Even though his daughter has graduated, he keeps in close contact and will bend over backwards to assist us.
After coming off a painful Motorola contract, it's a real breath of fresh air. I honestly cannot ever see us going back to Motorola and putting up with that crap.

I wish I could say other larger (no names mentioned) were that responsive but they aren't.

I agree. Every time I had a technical issue, I'd get a sales visit. Attitude seemed to be if something was broken, I obviously needed to do a full forklift upgrade. When we rebanded our SmartNet system we had a big kickoff meeting. Funny thing was that there were 2 or 3 actual technical/engineering guys from Motorola, but about 6 salespeople, sales managers, sales executives. Once again pushing us to forklift our system to P25.

JVC Kenwood is serious about public safety. Their interest and investment in Sonim shows they are prepping for the next wave of converged devices for public safety/LMR.

Yeah, they do seem to have their target well picked out. I'm seeing more and more local agencies switching over. I've slowly switched our PD over to Kenwood. Our FD went about 15 years ago.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Guys, thank you very much for the reports. I met with our local Kenwood rep a few weeks ago and he's really itching to break the Big M dominance in this market. Looks like he will have the products to back up his ambition.

360mk2

Saw the VP6000 at IWCE, and our local dealer has a couple of demos in our hands. This is what impresses me about JVC Kenwood: I come back from IWCE and the next week, I have a real, live product on my system.

So far, the impressions are GREAT. This is a serious competition, solid radio that is at a good price point. I also like user selectable keysets for encryption.

The radio has an awesome display both main and top. The ability to use the VP600/900 fire knob sets makes this appealing for fire use, something I would not do with the VP5000 series.

The radio performs superbly, and I've always liked the EFJ vocoder/audio. You'll need the latest version of Armada but I was able to drop in my VP5000 template with little issues.

I like the VP5000 series but the VP6000 is a game changer. It's fully capable and serious competition to the APX6000.And Armada is hands down some of the best radio programming software I've ever used.
View attachment 59237

View attachment 59238

View attachment 59239

Any word on the price point compared to the NX-5000? does it appear to be any more durable than the 5000?

jrw14493

I've got several projects I'm putting together and I'd like to sell the 3000 but Kenwood is staying tight lipped about cost and exact release date. 2-pin version will be out in August-ish and multi-pin version out in October-ish. More expensive than the current 20 series is a poor choice for a price point; we're already having a hard time loading an SMR with the price point of the 20 series. With the discontinuation of that line by the end of the year in favor of the 3000 series we'll be stuck.

And as with most other Kenwood products, I expect a 6-8 week backorder once they're released...

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That sounds about right.

Discounts really bring the prices down quite a bit. If you are running an SMR, you might want to look into being a dealer or working with a dealer on volume discounts. Considering it does more than the NX-x20's, the pricing seems reasonable. Doesn't mean there won't be more models coming out in the future.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Any word on the price point compared to the NX-5000? does it appear to be any more durable than the 5000?

Pricing hasn't been released yet, but lower than the NX-x10 radios, closer to the NX-x20 radios.

Durability looked to be good. Had a nice feel to it, nicer than the NX-410 I carry at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.