Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmork

I installed a Motorola XPR5550 in my vehicle. I attached a handheld control head (HCH), which is kept the in the center console for easy storage. Radio chassis is mounted under the driver seat in a storage box. The vehicle battery is under the passenger seat in the same style box. I routed the power cables under the center console to the driver & passenger side. The HCH cables are routed up the center where the shifter is into the center console.

I chose a Laird ETRAB4303 phantom antenna for ease of parking in garages & a low profile. I keep a Comet UHF antenna in the back of the truck to attach for road trips.

I am installing the antenna this weekend, I will post photos when I am done.

Gmork

Had a chance to install the NMO mount today & the Laird antenna. Works very well & pleased with the install. I keep a Comet SBB-2NMO in the back of the truck to attach for road trips or distant analog repeaters. I have had the Comet antenna for years & it works excellent for what it is worth.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks pretty good. A proper install will prevent headaches down the road.

I can't see how you have your power connected, but you might want to take a close look at what Dodge recommends for grounding. Some vehicles have a sensor on the negative cable coming from the battery to monitor power consumption, battery health, etc. Connecting your radio power feed directly to the negative post on the battery can sometimes create issues with that system. Some manufacturers will tell you to connect the ground to the vehicle body. Not sure if Dodge has their upfitter manuals posted on line, maybe someone else can confirm/deny this. I know GM and Ford are like this.

mrweather

I know for my 2018 Dodge Charger the owner's manual itself has a page about radio installations and it says to attach the negative lead of the radio to the chassis grounding point near the battery, not to the battery itself.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
McKenna is correct the black box that is part of the negative cable is a voltage sense monitor. It is not recommended to attach accessories there is a ground stud near the battery. That is what we use when upfitting the durango for police use

Status
Not open for further replies.