2019 Dodge Charger install

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillydjdan

Here's a few pics from my last install, a 2019 Dodge Charger Blacktop Edition. Couldn't wait to bore 2 huge holes in the trunk lid (much to my neighbor's dismay lol) for the UHF and 700/800 low profile antennas. The third is a trunk lip mount for VHF. I kept the interior pretty minimal, opting to only install 2 Motorola radios. 1 is a UHF XTL5000 (head plastics swapped with an APX head) and a dual band APX7500 VHF/700/800. With those 2 radios I have the majority of my region's public safety comms covered. I mounted the remote heads on the side of the console and the decks are mounted to the back of each rear seat. Decks are wired right to the battery (mounted in the trunk). Also added a ProClip mount for my phone. I think it looks sharp and gets the job done!
Capture+_2020-04-17-15-04-07(1).pngCapture+_2020-04-17-15-03-48(1).pngCapture+_2020-04-17-15-04-21(1).pngCapture+_2020-04-17-15-04-42(1).pngCapture+_2020-04-17-15-05-35(1).png

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Nice and clean! But I have to ask...why only drill for the two low profiles and not the dual bander? Sorry...not picking it apart, just genuinely curious since you obviously didn't mind drilling holes. :)

mrweather

I've got a 2018 Charger R/T Blacktop with a pretty minimal install: Yaesu FTM-400XDR drawer in the spare tire well and control head in the cubby in front of the shifter, drilled Larsen NMO150H on the trunk lid for VHF and drilled 1/4 wave spike on the roof for UHF.

From one Charger owner to another, looks fantastic!

phillydjdan

Nice and clean! But I have to ask...why only drill for the two low profiles and not the dual bander? Sorry...not picking it apart, just genuinely curious since you obviously didn't mind drilling holes. :)
There is a rib going down the center of the trunk lid and I did not want to mess anything up trying to drill in the center

mrweather

There is a rib going down the center of the trunk lid and I did not want to mess anything up trying to drill in the center
Yeah, I encountered that as well. But there‘s just enough of a gap to fish the NMO mount and coax. The roof mount was easier to do (dropped a part of the headliner and had lots of real estate to work with).

radio3353

I really like commercial radios. The only way to go. And the rooftop tower is a killer (except for low clearance bridges.) Nice work. See you around the neighborhoods.

ke6gcv

Sweet and clean install! Thank you for the awesome idea! I'm in the market to trade in my 2010 Charger for something newer but the center console under the stereo is a bit of an issue for me. Not enough space. I didn't think of using the side of the floor console. I will take that into consideration as I start to shop around.

CptCrunch

Premium Subscriber
How does your VHF antenna work in the location? I had a 2012 Charger and mounted a dual band antenna there and it didn't work very well in that location. I tried several different antennas I had and all the same. I tried the trunk channel (L-brackets) on the side and they didn't work very well either.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Clean. What is gained with the APX head shell other than clean fresh plastic? I run an XTL5k in the truck. I too like my rigs all fresh and minty but just asking if there are any other advantages I may not know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.