• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2020 Charger GT Plus - Possible RFI Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke6gcv

I'm to hopefully be able to take delivery of my new Dodge Charger GT Plus soon. (So long, Malibu! May you be able to make a lot of lemonade!) With that, I do fully intend to install my radios.

Trunk lip mounts for starters before I punch the holes. (Yeah... Yeah... I know... just drill the hole! But for reasons I don't want to get into at the moment, lip mounts will have to suffice.)

Anyway, I've been advised that the new Chargers don't like two-way radios all that much. (Apparently this person works on Dodge products a lot!) To paraphrase, they mentioned something to the effect of RFI getting into the computer and creating havoc. Again, this is what I was told. Take it for what it's worth. Has anyone experienced this with their personal or fleet Charger?

I can understand that if the install wasn't properly done, there can be RFI. For example: Using the wrong locations for power. Using an inferior coax cable and/or improperly installed PL-259. Using unshielded Cat5 cable for remote mounts (if your radio can support it). Things like that makes perfect sense to me that there'd be RFI.

When I had my 2010 Charger, I mounted everything in the trunk. That was far enough away from the computer as I was going to get! (Short of not installing radios at all! Hi-Hi!) I would think that if I repeat that style of install, there would be almost no RFI. If any at all! Wouldn't you?

I used to professionally install two-way radios, so I do know a thing or two. Granted that was some twenty-plus years ago now and technology has changed considerably since, but still. I only mention this to spark conversation into what your thoughts are. Your experience. Please let me know! Thank you!

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Well, Ohio State Highway Patrol uses the chargers, so it can't be that bad with everything trunk mounted.

That being said, every Ram truck, Jeep and Charger I pass, or passes me on the highway just blurts out RFI interference.

mrweather

I have a 2018 R/T and haven't noticed any RFI at all. My radio drawers are mounted in the trunk with permanent NMO antennas on the trunklid and roof.

Maybe the V6 is noisier?

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I have a 2019 Challenger GT which has the same V6. I currently have a Connect Systems CS800D mounted in the trunk with no issues, I have also in the past had installed at different times an SDS200, BCD536 and TRX2 installed, none of which ever had an issue like what you described.

ke6gcv

What band(s) are you running? The lower in frequency the worse

Not running anything at the moment. I don't have the car in my possession... yet! The service center is still working on some technical issues. But that is another story for another day.

To answer your question differently, however, I do intent to install two dual bands. A Kenwood TM-V71A and a CS800D.

ke6gcv

Well, Ohio State Highway Patrol uses the chargers, so it can't be that bad with everything trunk mounted.

CHP is the same way - Low-band, VHF, UHF, 700/800. So, I would think there wouldn't be any RFI. But then again, for LEOs, they're the pursuit packages. Not consumer class.

ke6gcv

I have a 2018 R/T and haven't noticed any RFI at all. My radio drawers are mounted in the trunk with permanent NMO antennas on the trunklid and roof.

Maybe the V6 is noisier?

I have a 2019 Challenger GT which has the same V6. I currently have a Connect Systems CS800D mounted in the trunk with no issues, I have also in the past had installed at different times an SDS200, BCD536 and TRX2 installed, none of which ever had an issue like what you described.

That's my same thought! No issues with RFI! My 2010 SXT was a V6. I had some idle noise getting in my old Yaesu FT-8800 when I'd hit a certain RPM, but that was because the radio was showing its age. I swapped out for the Kenwood and CS800D. Was quiet for the duration that they were installed.

So, I'm inclined to think that he's not sure what he's talking about. For the record, I do intend to use PulseLarsen's NMOKUD coax (I believe that's the double-shielded one) and shielded Cat5 for the control heads. And since I already know that battery is in the trunk, there will be no issue pulling power.

Interesting indeed...

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts! I do appreciate it!

W0JJK

In the past, the older Hemi's had spark plug wires that were about 19 inches long. They would have RFI in the VHF band. This was in Chargers and Ram trucks. They have since switched to coil on plugs for both sparks plugs on each cylinder and this is fixed this issue.

ke6gcv

In the past, the older Hemi's had spark plug wires that were about 19 inches long. They would have RFI in the VHF band. This was in Chargers and Ram trucks. They have since switched to coil on plugs for both sparks plugs on each cylinder and this is fixed this issue.

That does make a lot of sense! My Charger is only the 3.6L V6 VVT engine.

I was leaning on the side of RFI not being an issue, but never know anymore. Especially with today's vehicles. One little bump of interference and the whole vehicle shuts down on you. That'd be all bad!

Thank you, everyone, for your response! It's greatly appreciated!

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
It is my understanding that the pursuits have extra RFI protection, better grounding, and the additional power points.

I have not noted any RFI issues on my 2014 pursuit V8.

hill

Premium Subscriber

ke6gcv

See the linked article below from Virginia about the VSP testing Chargers and finding interference to their VHF TRS.

Good article! Thank you for sharing!

This just helps me to confirm my suspicions. My car should not get any RFI from my radios. I will have to do some testing to be sure. I don't want to give the auto service center any ammo should it shut down on me during testing.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
I also had RFI issues with my 2014 Charger on VHF, but I wasn't using an overly selective receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.