2020 MACS 441-1 - California fire mutual aid channel load

Status
Not open for further replies.

officer_415

Database Admin
Good find. Yes this year CMD31 is on 172.550. (they change each year.)

I'm glad I saw this. They're using 172.550 on the Walbridge Fire (LNU) and calling it NIFC C26 - maybe different input?

Also on the SCU Lightning Complex, they're using 172.675 (NIFC C38) and 173.750 (NIFC C40)

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I'm glad I saw this. They're using 172.550 on the Walbridge Fire (LNU) and calling it NIFC C26 - maybe different input?

Also on the SCU Lightning Complex, they're using 172.675 (NIFC C38) and 173.750 (NIFC C40)

Good catch on the same RX freq with different CMD numbers. Yeah they're using different inputs. I have collected a huge list of previously used CMD repeaters on large fires, and in fact it looks exactly like what someone was trying to do on the NIRSC Wiki page. In the first few years these "Cmd 20+" numbers started showing up, it appeared a pair stayed the same the entire fire season and could be used again in the same area for the same season. Some even kept the same Cmd numbers. After a few years, it quickly was found numbers and pairs are all over the place. Maybe with the NTIA rebanding, these numbers and pairs might be more "sticky" these last few years, but I'm already seeing discrepancies between 2018 and 2020 - a period where I'd think had that hypothesis been true, I'd have seen it.

Paysonscanner

Good catch on the same RX freq with different CMD numbers. Yeah they're using different inputs. I have collected a huge list of previously used CMD repeaters on large fires, and in fact it looks exactly like what someone was trying to do on the NIRSC Wiki page. In the first few years these "Cmd 20+" numbers started showing up, it appeared a pair stayed the same the entire fire season and could be used again in the same area for the same season. Some even kept the same Cmd numbers. After a few years, it quickly was found numbers and pairs are all over the place. Maybe with the NTIA rebanding, these numbers and pairs might be more "sticky" these last few years, but I'm already seeing discrepancies between 2018 and 2020 - a period where I'd think had that hypothesis been true, I'd have seen it.

Last summer I spoke with another radio geek who had spoken to a comm leader around 2008 or so, that frequencies are assigned for commands, tacs, air to grounds and air to air FM using a pool of unused federal frequencies in the area. This pool is changing all the time as other federal agencies develop and change their radio systems. The most intriguing part of this is each comm unit leader carried a CD (at the time in 2008) with all federal freq assignments made all over the U.S. There were very strict protocols for how these CD's were used and stored. It has to stay withing the comm leaders possession at all times and locked in safes at the home unit and on the incident. New CD's are provided with updates a number of time each year. This radio geek was working a fire near his town as a CERT volunteer, who staffed the incident public info phone bank. He had to interface with the comm unit for the phone bank ops.

Since federal agency freq use changes, assignment of the same frequencies for these Command 13 and higher numbered nets, is area specific and only for the duration of the incident. I guess I'll have to visit the Wiki to see what you are talking about.

Last edited:

officer_415

Database Admin
I'm not sure what's up with LARTCS, I havent heard traffic on it in a loooong time, and am not even sure it still exists. It was used for aux comms for one fire, right after it went online (the Oat Mtn site as I recall), but since then, nada.

LARTCS is still listed in the 2020 Cal-IFOG, as well as the TMAC 2020 App. But I think some of the frequencies listed in the DB (36.50 and 150.790) are no longer used. I started a new thread to discuss it here:

djpaulino

Premium Subscriber
LARTCS is still listed in the 2020 Cal-IFOG, as well as the TMAC 2020 App. But I think some of the frequencies listed in the DB (36.50 and 150.790) are no longer used. I started a new thread to discuss it here:

TMAC 2020?? last version I see is 2018?

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
NIFC CMD38 on the SCU Complex is the same CMD38 pair for the MNF August Complex. CMD32 a few seasons ago is the same pair as this year's CMD24 off the LMU-Gold incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.