• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2020 Silverado Power Wire Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexjusti

Premium Subscriber
I've recently purchased a 2020 Silverado and I have an electronics compartment on order that sits under the back seat. My radio will be installed in the electronics compartment. Has anyone run large gauge battery cable from the engine bay to the back seat? I had a 2016 RAM and there were floor drain plugs/grommets under the back seat that I was able to use but I haven't located any in this truck. Does anyone have any other suggestions for running 4 AWG cable from the engine bay to the back seat?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've never run a #4 on these trucks, but I have run a #6. It'll take some extra work to run the 4 gauge, but the same routing should work.

On the passenger side of the truck in the engine compartment, behind the battery and a bit below, there is a large feed through for vehicle wiring. On that feed through is a nipple that sticks out into the engine bay. It's on the inboard side at about 4 o'clock, if I recall correctly. Cut the end off that. I've had no major issues getting the 6 gauge through there, but I did have to run a pull wire to get it started. A bit of silicone grease on the beginning few inches helps get it started.
It'll come out behind the glove box. A bit of a pain, because you cannot see it. I had to use a flexible inspection camera to find it and pull the pull wire down.
Once I have it through, careful/steady pulling and having an assistant guide the wire through from the engine compartment will do the trick.
Once you have it inside the cab, you can run it down the passenger side kick panel and under the door sill plate. Once to the back of the cab, it's pretty easy to get tucked up under the trim and behind the seat.

I've done a couple of these now. All used 6 gauge, but you can probably make the feed through a little larger and get 4 through there.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Oh, forgot, as you can see in the first photo, it really helps to remove the battery. Gives you a lot more room to work.

For the fuses, my understanding is a MIDI size fuse will fit in the slots on top of the battery. Haven't tried it yet, but I finally got some in. I think GM makes a kit that makes it a bit easier to attach the power feed, but haven't found the correct part number yet.

alexjusti

Premium Subscriber
Where did you catch the positive power? There are some auxillary studs on the side of the battery but they're only rated at 175A and I'm afraid to use them. I'm looking to catch a total of 70A.

alexjusti

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to do some investigating. These new battery systems and GM vehicles in general are new to me

mibzzer15

GM has their upfitters guides here. You can find the general instructions PDF here and go to section 12. If it helps, here are the GM electrical best practices PDF.

General Instructions

Chassis Info

Electrical Information

You'll want to get GM part #84669070 and follow this guide for install for aux fuses. The beginning part of this video shows an install of that GM F block, video.

I do NOT recommend using any of the studs labeled 1, 2, or 3 in mmckenna's picture as #1 is fused for the alternator and fuse block, #2 for the power steering control module, and #3 for the starter motor. Those are all high draw components and might blow the fuse if 70A is added to it.

For running the wire, maybe use this YouTube video > Youtube (disclaimer: I didn't watch the full video but it looks like it explains the way mmckenna did it)

Have fun!

alexjusti

Premium Subscriber
GM has their upfitters guides here. You can find the general instructions PDF here and go to section 12. If it helps, here are the GM electrical best practices PDF.

General Instructions

Chassis Info

Electrical Information

You'll want to get GM part #84669070 and follow this guide for install for aux fuses. The beginning part of this video shows an install of that GM F block, video.

I do NOT recommend using any of the studs labeled 1, 2, or 3 in mmckenna's picture as #1 is fused for the alternator and fuse block, #2 for the power steering control module, and #3 for the starter motor. Those are all high draw components and might blow the fuse if 70A is added to it.

For running the wire, maybe use this YouTube video > Youtube (disclaimer: I didn't watch the full video but it looks like it explains the way mmckenna did it)

Have fun!

This pretty much cleared up everything! Thanks! My one question is, those fuses should be able to be interchanged correct?

RFI-EMI-GUY

I've recently purchased a 2020 Silverado and I have an electronics compartment on order that sits under the back seat. My radio will be installed in the electronics compartment. Has anyone run large gauge battery cable from the engine bay to the back seat? I had a 2016 RAM and there were floor drain plugs/grommets under the back seat that I was able to use but I haven't located any in this truck. Does anyone have any other suggestions for running 4 AWG cable from the engine bay to the back seat?

Can you share details of the electronics compartment you have ordered?

alexjusti

Premium Subscriber

mibzzer15

This pretty much cleared up everything! Thanks! My one question is, those fuses should be able to be interchanged correct?

You should be able to. If you are looking to put a 70A fuse where the 60A fuse is, you should be safe to swap that out but I wouldn't put like a 100A fuse where the 60A is. Those studs would probably take the load just fine but I wouldn't know for sure. You can swap out the 200A for anything less more than likely, only thing you would be looking at is maybe the size of the stud and if the fuse will fit on it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

The smaller bolts are 6mm, and according to the chart linked to above, that would be good up to 125 amps. Pretty sure it's a MIDI fuse. MIDI fuses are available up to 200 amps. (see below *) If the rest of your wiring is capable of supporting 200 amps, then you should be fine going up that far. https://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/...bolt-down-fuses/littelfuse_midi_datasheet.pdf

The larger bolts are 8mm, and the bolt size/current capacity says those are good to 150 amps. Haven't researched what size fuse that is yet.

* But GM is running 200 amp fuse on the larger one, so they are likely not relying on the bolt as a current carrying device, just using it for clamping force to hold the fuse to the buss plate.

jhooten

Yes there are plugs in the floor under both front corners of the back seat. Pull the door sills, lift the floor covering, they are a few inches in from the cable tray that is under the sill pieces.

As said above, GM P/N 84669070 is the snowplow power kit. It adds a 60 and a 200 amp fuse to the power center. Instructions here: https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1143/UI Bulletin_147 Snow Plow power provisions_V2b.pdf.
Took me about ten minutes.

This one https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1314/UI Bulletin 153_wip.pdf
shows the location of the factory poser cable pass through under the dash on page 4 if you want to run the cable throuh the cab instead of under it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.