2020 Subaru Forester

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantnet10

2020 Subaru Forester

Ham Radio and Volunteer EMS response. Install done myself over a few weekends.

Radios:
Kenwood TM-D700A Mobile Radio
Whistler TRX2 P25 Digital Scanner
RoadPro RPSP-15 Universal Extension Speaker - Mounted on bottom of front passenger seat

Antennas:
Sti-Co ROOF-FT-NITI Flexi-Whip Antenna (Kenwood)
Laird/Antenex ETRAB4703 Phantom Elite (Scanner)

Interior Radio and Microphone Mount:
RAM RAM-B-316-1U POD1 Locking Mount
AMPS Plate
Custom Plate from Front Panel Express
Mic Mount - Magnetic Mic
RJ45 Bulkhead Connector for Microphone with Cover - Amazon

Lights Front:
Wicked Warnings Thin-X Green/White
Wicked Warnings Auto Flasher Module (Front Fogs with Diode Dynamics Luxeon LED Fog Lamps)

Lights Rear:
Strobes N' More E6 Dual Color (Rear Window)
Wicked Warnings Auto Flasher Module (Reverse Lights with Aftermarket LED Bulbs)

Sound:
Whelen PAP112 Airhorn
Whelen SA315 Speaker w/bail bracket

Switches:
SMK Fabrication 3D Printed Dash Type 4 Switches (Center Console is Momentary Switch.)

Misc Items:
Plywood for Underseat Mounts - Home Depot (Boards are held to factory carpet with the hook side of Industrial Extreme Outdoor Velcro. The carpet functions as the loop side of the Velcro. Doesn't move.)
Wire, Connectors, and Relays - Waytek
Speaker Carpet - Parts Express
Loom - Parts Express
Step Drill Bits - Amazon
Blue Sea Systems Fuse Block with Ground - Amazon

Attachments

• DSCF0036 noplate.jpg
    DSCF0036 noplate.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 1,416
  • DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,464
  • DSCF0015.jpg
    DSCF0015.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,565
  • DSCF0014.jpg
    DSCF0014.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,531
  • DSCF0013.jpg
    DSCF0013.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,490
  • DSCF0016.jpg
    DSCF0016.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,445
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,423
  • DSCF0027.jpg
    DSCF0027.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,373
  • DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,355
  • DSCF0021.jpg
    DSCF0021.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,326
Last edited:

jje64

Did you pull the headliner for the antenna install? I have a 2019 Outback and want to drill for NMO, but don't really feel like pulling the headliner. Had more patience to do that in the 80s when cars had less airbags, etc.

TNX

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Nice and clean! So, dumb question but I haven't seen green strobes before, is that indicative of something specific there? Like vol EMS or whatever? Just curious. I know different states have different colors, etc.

grantnet10

Nice and clean! So, dumb question but I haven't seen green strobes before, is that indicative of something specific there? Like vol EMS or whatever? Just curious. I know different states have different colors, etc.

Volunteer EMS in NY uses green, volunteer fire in NY uses blue, emergency vehicles uses red.

grantnet10

Did you pull the headliner for the antenna install? I have a 2019 Outback and want to drill for NMO, but don't really feel like pulling the headliner. Had more patience to do that in the 80s when cars had less airbags, etc.

TNX

I didn't need to pull the whole headliner luckily. I was able to pull it down slightly and put a baking tray between the headliner and the roof since it was so close to the rear door. Another plus is the tray also catches the hot metal shavings and the tray prevents any accidental drill slippage from hitting the headliner. The airbags are not near the wires or antenna mounts. Only obstruction is the OEM fin antenna, but it didn't really interfere and the ham/scanner antenna cables follow the OEM path and down the rear frame trim. I initially wanted to go vertical down the center line of the car, but the sunroof goes into that space when it's open. Always make sure that's clear from any mounting location. Plan, plan, plan so you don't make any expensive mistakes.

jje64

Thanks for the good input. You did it the way I was thinking about doing mine, though i did not think of the baking tray. I have had a vehicle with a sunroof since 87 so that was always an 'avoid this concern' PIA. However, some of them were coupes so i had the trunk as an option, one was a truck so had lots of roof space., etc.

I have looked on and off at the OB. The gate with a ham (Comet, Diamond) lip mount is not an option since I have the auto closing gate so there is a pinch pad along the whole frame. I was think about doing what u did to get near the sharfin, but did not want to bring down the full headliner.

Thanks again

shb80

Premium Subscriber
Great install. As a former Subaru Sales Consultant I love seeing the vehicles setup like this. I put my radios and lights in everything so I always look at cars and see how stuff could be installed.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Very nice work! I like the airhorn too! I'd love to have one of those to wakes people up at intersections when the light turns green and five or more "texters" just sit there and continue their conversations totally unaware of their surroundings, or they just don't care! Problem with that is the penalty of doing so is steep!

Status
Not open for further replies.