• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2020 Toyota Camry LE, 12volt battery power to radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1KK

Looking for methods of getting the 12vdc Battery power to the front floor area as well as to the trunk.
The trunk path is easy but I have not found an existing hole in the firewall to run the 12vdc power through.

I plan for now to just install a VHF/UHF antenna with one of my Diamond lip mounts on the Trunk.
The antenna is a Dick Austin 2/220/440 antenna with 3/8x24 mount.
I wondering if there was a smaller profile antenna mount since this antenna is about the length of a 1/4
wave 2m antenna with very little weight. Something with good success not to scratch the paint.
I need a few years with this new car before I don't care any more about scratches. hi hi.

Ken

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
May not be the answer you want but if you’re going to keep the car for awhile, you’ll be better off and likely happier if you go ahead and just drill mount an NMO in the trunk now. If you’re saying you will in the future, why not go ahead and get the benefit now, for longer, than settle for less. That’s my view on it. I have antenna mounts installed very soon after purchase.

Not sure about a low profile mount for that...there may be some that exist but off hand I’m not thinking of them.

WB9YBM

Looking for methods of getting the 12vdc Battery power to the front floor area as well as to the trunk.
The trunk path is easy but I have not found an existing hole in the firewall to run the 12vdc power through.

How hard is it to find the existing cable routes from the engine compartment to the inside of the car? Could that be an option, to share those paths?

CanesFan95

May not be the answer you want but if you’re going to keep the car for awhile, you’ll be better off and likely happier if you go ahead and just drill mount an NMO in the trunk now. If you’re saying you will in the future, why not go ahead and get the benefit now, for longer, than settle for less. That’s my view on it. I have antenna mounts installed very soon after purchase.

Not sure about a low profile mount for that...there may be some that exist but off hand I’m not thinking of them.

^ Really agree with this. It will look clean and professional. It's a hassle, but you can get it over with now and it'll be awesome. One thing I do hate about modern cars is how small and short they keep making the damn trunks. You get these almost horizontal rear windows any more and very little trunk length. All the car companies are doing that same thing for some reason and it keeps getting worse every year.

N1KK

I have a follow up question. Are there any Ham radio websites showing How Ham have configured their radios and how they
ran power from the battery as well as mounted antennas on different cars? This sounds like something the ARRL should have
but I have not seen it. I certainly would contribute to it
Ken

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a follow up question. Are there any Ham radio websites showing How Ham have configured their radios and how they
ran power from the battery as well as mounted antennas on different cars? This sounds like something the ARRL should have
but I have not seen it. I certainly would contribute to it
Ken

I've never seen anything.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the ARRL to do this. A lot of the amateur installs I see would qualify as a fire hazard, and hopefully ARRL would be smart enough to not touch that with the proverbial 10 foot pole.

Best I've found is just web searches. There's some good documentation on this site. There used to be a lot of good stuff on Batlabs, but not so much anymore. There's a few other websites that have info.

But keeping your internet B.S. filter active is important. Like I said, some of the installs are downright dangerous and sloppy at best.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Many Toyota's have a "nipple" on the grommet that the main wiring harness uses to enter the firewall. I can't vouch for the Camry, but their trucks have this. The nipple is meant to be snipped off, then you have a entry hole for wire to pass through. Check both passenger and drivers side harnesses.

This nipple is mentioned in a few technical bulletins. For the RAV4, it's mentioned if you add the Toyota trailer harness. The Tacoma mentions it for the factory add on condenser A/C fan harness.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Worth a shot to see if the Camry has this.....

Attachments

• ty.JPG
    ty.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 46

wwhitby

Feed Provider
OP, if you decide to drill a hole in the deck lid of your trunk, put your antenna on a mag mount, stick it on the deck lid and then make sure you can open and close the deck lid with your antenna in place. For example, the clearance between deck lid and back window is so small that the biggest antenna I could mount there without hitting would be a UHF 1/4 wave whip or 800MHz antenna. A very flexible VHF 1/4 wave whip could be mounted, but it would hit the glass every time the trunk is opened.

ran power from the battery as well as mounted antennas on different cars?

I'm a "installer geek" and I like to see how other people do their installs to get ideas. I've searched the web looking for install pictures and write ups, and to be honest, they range from professional level to "you gotta' be kidding me" level. So if you do a search, take what you see with a grain of salt.

mrweather

RR seems to be a decent reference for a variety of mobile installs, especially here and in the "Pictures of Your Shack/Mobile Setups" subforum.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
In most newer cars, there is a rubber membrane where various connections pass through the firewall. This membrane can usually be pierced (carefully!) to allow additional wires to be passed. I have often needed a wire hanger (or similar), connected to the wires, to help snake the wires through the membrane.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
In most newer cars, there is a rubber membrane where various connections pass through the firewall. This membrane can usually be pierced (carefully!) to allow additional wires to be passed. I have often needed a wire hanger (or similar), connected to the wires, to help snake the wires through the membrane.

Exactly what is on my two Toyota wit a metal cover covering it in the engine area that had to be removed for access. One might describe these as a black rubber plug with a thin area that one can make a hoe in with a nail. It was under the dash on the drivers side. I used bender clips (used instead of paper clips for larger number of pages) that can be found at office stores) to attach the wire to under dash area inside the cabin to support the wiring out of the way of the driver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.