2021 Dayton Hamvention cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9lob

Premium Subscriber
Posted on Facebook and the Hamvention website.

Unfortunately, several setbacks in the recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic make necessary the difficult decision to cancel Hamvention 2021. Hundreds of volunteers have been working to do everything necessary to bring this Hamvention to the many amateur radio enthusiasts and vendors who support the Dayton Hamvention.

Vaccine distribution both in the United States and around the world is lagging behind what was planned. In addition, the emergence of a more communicable form of the COVID-19 virus increases the potential for further public health problems in the next few months. We make this difficult decision for the safety of our guests and vendors.

Those who had their tickets, inside booths or flea market spaces deferred last year will be deferred again. Those who purchased 2021 tickets, inside booths or flea market spaces will also be deferred. If you desire a refund instead please email tickets@hamvention.org and we will contact you.

Stay tuned for information about a QSO party for the 2021 Hamvention weekend. We are looking forward to the 2022 Hamvention!!!

Executive Committee, Dayton Hamvention 2021

prcguy

Have you been there? Have you smelled it? Imagine the Hara Arena in years past, the swap meet is open but not the main buildings. It starts raining like crazy. Thousands and thousands of obese hams that haven't bathed in awhile now get soaked then they all storm the building the moment it opens. Its hot and steamy inside the buildings. A kennel full of wet dogs would smell better.

Then there was the sewage break one year where "Baby Ruth's" and TP were bubbling up out of the parking lot all around the swap meet sellers. I have pictures of that somewhere. And nightmares.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

n4fo

Have you been there? Have you smelled it? Imagine the Hara Arena in years past, the swap meet is open but not the main buildings. It starts raining like crazy. Thousands and thousands of obese hams that haven't bathed in awhile now get soaked then they all storm the building the moment it opens. Its hot and steamy inside the buildings. A kennel full of wet dogs would smell better.

Then there was the sewage break one year where "Baby Ruth's" and TP were bubbling up out of the parking lot all around the swap meet sellers. I have pictures of that somewhere. And nightmares.

Excellent description of the attendees on when it rains at Hamvention! :D I am glad I missed the "Baby Ruth's" and TP bubbling up in the parking lot though. Hara Arena is now gone....

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

I take exception to your comment about obese hams who haven't bathed in awhile. I personally shower every day and keep myself looking presentable (unlike some, I refuse to leave the house wearing sweatsuits, pajamas, unlaundered clothing or anything in camouflage).

In any case, have you been to Hamvention since it moved to Xenia? Vast improvement; clean and in good repair, way better food service with better vendors (Granny Franer's chicken and noodles is outta sight), buildings are better ventilated, the bathrooms all work and don't smell quite so much like an untended outhouse in summer.

Don't know about you, but I'm in serious hamfest withdrawal; all of the shows I usually go to were cancelled last year with the exception of Mansfield, and so far this year doesn't look like it's shaping up any better. And while I do generally pick up one or two little things (usually parts and supplies for projects I'm working on), I enjoy the shows more for seeing friends. Damn COVID.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I take exception to your comment about obese hams who haven't bathed in awhile. I personally shower every day and keep myself looking presentable (unlike some, I refuse to leave the house wearing sweatsuits, pajamas, unlaundered clothing or anything in camouflage).

In any case, have you been to Hamvention since it moved to Xenia? Vast improvement; clean and in good repair, way better food service with better vendors (Granny Franer's chicken and noodles is outta sight), buildings are better ventilated, the bathrooms all work and don't smell quite so much like an untended outhouse in summer.

Don't know about you, but I'm in serious hamfest withdrawal; all of the shows I usually go to were cancelled last year with the exception of Mansfield, and so far this year doesn't look like it's shaping up any better. And while I do generally pick up one or two little things (usually parts and supplies for projects I'm working on), I enjoy the shows more for seeing friends. Damn COVID.

I heard the Canton group still has a successful Hamfest at the MAPS air museum hanger in November, so there is still some activity available.

prcguy

Yes, I've been to Xenia and its different, but better? Hard to say. The food vendors seem to be more prevalent and the smells are different. Instead of unwashed hams its horse dung and horse wee wee. The first year there was a mud pit and that improved some the next year but lets face it, the swap meet is held in the middle of a horse racing track and there are ruminants of horses all around, like spent food and drink.

RFI-EMI-GUY

And like 7:15 AM garage/yard sale early bird buyer (AKA professional flea market seller) chap will say, I'll give you $10 for everything...

Yeah: i have had that experience. They show up just as you open the door to bring stuff out. Probably parked waiting since midnight.

I saw an ad for a garage sale a while back. "Early birds meet my Doberman" I think I will do same..

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
That pic was famously posted on hamsexy, also showing someone standing right in it as the bottom of his pants were absorbing it all...

xmo

It starts raining like crazy. Thousands and thousands of obese hams that haven't bathed in awhile now get soaked then they all storm the building the moment it opens. Its hot and steamy inside the buildings.
APS-508-636-11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.